• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sticker destroyed, what can I rebuild with?

Brett

I'm unable to buy anything online or new cubes or whatever. My red side is already completely gone so creating a new blackside is out of the question.

During a solve my orange center sticker finally gave out. it's been through christmas so it did last awhile. The white part is completely missing it's sticky and only half the orange part is left anyway. Currently I taped the orange part (what's left of it) back onto the black plastic, but it's rubbing off and sticky.

So. What household materials can be used to hold this sticker on for around 3 more months?

Cuber2112

Well in this condition I would simply consider buying a new cube localy. It sounds like it needs to retire lol. Either that or beg your parents to buy a new cube online or get new stickers from cubesmith.

You can always paint your cube to?

Brett

Parents = Anti cube. In 3 months I can drive myself.

Unless when she's in target I sneak away, pay for a cube myself, and hide it until I get home :p

Wouldn't painting add a weird texture as compared the the laminated/stickerless sides I currently have?

Cuber2112

I think buying a new cube would be cheaper than buying paint for each color and you wont have to go through the trouble of painting.

Noiram

Duct tape?
Haven't tried myself. Just a theory i've got. Might work, or it'll just get sticky and messy after some use..

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Electrical tape? Though I doubt you'd have electrical tape of various colors just lying around.

You can't ask a friend to order stickers or buy a cube for you or something? Order from Cubesmith yourself and pay with a money order? Have stickers delivered to a friend or neighbor to prevent parental suspicions?

Brett

My mom has some straight edge cutter for scrap booking, so that's covered. the only problem left is that I only have one color, and that's black. (two black sides? I feel like it'd be cheating :p)

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
V-Cube stickers feel like they're electrical tape. And I have to say that I think I would rate V-Cube stickers better than Cubesmith stickers - they can be removed and replaced and still be essentially good as new! Unfortunately, I'm going to take all of mine off and replace them with Cubesmith stickers because I can't handle the colors.

But all of that to say that I think electrical tape could very well be the best possible choice for stickers, if it was the right thickness and you could cut it accurately.

DcF1337

If you can't buy new stickers/cubes under any circumstances, you can try any of the following:

Duct tape
Colored Masking tape
Colored paper taped on with transparent sticky tape
Acrylic paint
Poster colour (Not recommended, wears off quite easily)
Spray paint (Takes a lot of time and precision)

In my young cubing days I used almost all of what I listed above, and they worked, but only for a while. Also, they give my cube a very weird texture. Nothing beats the real stickers. If you can, go out and look for stickers. If you cannot find any, get a new cube. But if you're going to buy a new cube, you might as well buy a DIY, not a storebought. They're often cheaper (excluding shipping) and way better in every way imaginable. :)

Edit: For removing the sticky stuff left behind by the stickers (adhesive), you can try dabbing some tissue paper in WD-40 or lighter fluid and rub the adhesive off. It's wayyyyyy easier than scraping it off with your nails.

Last edited:

Brett

When I removed my red side I used acne pads, the sticky didn't have a chance.

Currently my cube... exploded :/, It's sitting here on my desk in pieces, so the sticker isn't my biggest problem anymore. Thanks for the help :)