• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi discussion + Star Wars Episode IX prediction thread [SPOILERS]

WCA
2017COST04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just saw Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi and my expectations were not met. I was kind of hoping that it had more of Phasma and Snoke. I did like the ending though, even if Luke Skywalker did die.

I am kind of hoping the kid with force powers at the end plays a major role in the next movie. I also hope that Luke will come back as a force ghost.

This might sound strange, but I want the First Order to 'win', because it'll leave a new plot line for Episode X, XI, and XII

Let me know what you think

I thought it was awesome. I was definitely a little disappointed that we don't learn more about Snoke, but I'm certain that won't remain the case in Episode IX, especially since Abrams is directing it again.

As a big Star Wars nerd (though admittedly not as much as some people,) it kind of scares me how close Rey is to the dark side. I'm sure a lot of casual movie-goers don't pick up on it, but some of the things she does are more than a little sketchy (see the scene where she pulls her lightsaber on Luke to make him admit what really happened the night Ben Solo betrayed him.) Also, for a lack of a better way of explaining it, her default style of lightsaber fighting seems extremely close to form VII.

Oh, here's some food for thought: You know how Snoke says he's the one who enabled Rey and Kylo Ren to communicate via the Force? Well, it happens again at the end of the movie - AFTER Snoke is supposedly dead.

My main problem with the movie was the Finn/Rose and the Poe mutiny plot lines. It felt like Rian Johnson had these characters that Abrams had given him that he wasn't particularly interested in developing, but he had to do something with them. I heard that somewhere in The Last Jedi there's an absolutely incredible 1 hour 45 minute movie, and that sounds about right.

Favorite moments:
1. Kylo Ren and Rey fighting the guards in Snoke's throne room.
2. The Rebel ship running into the First Order Fleet at lightspeed.
3. Luke vs. Kylo Ren on Crate.

TL;DR: 10/10 if you ignore Finn and Rose, 9/10 otherwise.

Wow, this post is a mess. :p

WCA
2017COST04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought it was awesome. I was definitely a little disappointed that we don't learn more about Snoke, but I'm certain that won't remain the case in Episode IX, especially since Abrams is directing it again.

As a big Star Wars nerd (though admittedly not as much as some people,) it kind of scares me how close Rey is to the dark side. I'm sure a lot of casual movie-goers don't pick up on it, but some of the things she does are more than a little sketchy (see the scene where she pulls her lightsaber on Luke to make him admit what really happened the night Ben Solo betrayed him.) Also, for a lack of a better way of explaining it, her default style of lightsaber fighting seems extremely close to form VII.

Oh, here's some food for thought: You know how Snoke says he's the one who enabled Rey and Kylo Ren to communicate via the Force? Well, it happens again at the end of the movie - AFTER Snoke is supposedly dead.

My main problem with the movie was the Finn/Rose and the Poe mutiny plot lines. It felt like Rian Johnson had these characters that Abrams had given him that he wasn't particularly interested in developing, but he had to do something with them. I heard that somewhere in The Last Jedi there's an absolutely incredible 1 hour 45 minute movie, and that sounds about right.

Favorite moments:
1. Kylo Ren and Rey fighting the guards in Snoke's throne room.
2. The Rebel ship running into the First Order Fleet at lightspeed.
3. Luke vs. Kylo Ren on Crate.

TL;DR: 10/10 if you ignore Finn and Rose, 9/10 otherwise.

Wow, this post is a mess. :p
I agree with your favorite moments. The theater's favorite moments was when Luke brushed the dust off of his shoulder. The entire theater lost their sh*t. I was the funniest thing ever. Also when Luke threw the lightsaber off the cliff, a person got up out of their seat and said, "Does anyone know how I can sew Rian Johnson for this!"

I just saw Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi and my expectations were not met. I was kind of hoping that it had more of Phasma and Snoke. I did like the ending though, even if Luke Skywalker did die.

I am kind of hoping the kid with force powers at the end plays a major role in the next movie. I also hope that Luke will come back as a force ghost.

This might sound strange, but I want the First Order to 'win', because it'll leave a new plot line for Episode X, XI, and XII

Let me know what you think
I honestly agree with every single thing you said in this post.

I agree with your favorite moments. The theater's favorite moments was when Luke brushed the dust off of his shoulder. The entire theater lost their sh*t. I was the funniest thing ever. Also when Luke threw the lightsaber off the cliff, a person got up out of their seat and said, "Does anyone know how I can sew Rian Johnson for this!"
lol. I also thought it was funny when he said "okay, that is pretty much nowhere" after rey told him she was from jakku.

WCA
2017COST04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I honestly agree with every single thing you said in this post.

lol. I also thought it was funny when he said "okay, that is pretty much nowhere" after rey told him she was from jakku.
That is true it was funny. I also heard that the production name for episode IX is Black Diamond. The connection is that Snoke wears a black diamond ring. Does anyone have any thoughts

YouTube
Visit Channel
That is true it was funny. I also heard that the production name for episode IX is Black Diamond. The connection is that Snoke wears a black diamond ring. Does anyone have any thoughts
His ring was confirmed to be obsidian from the catacombs under Vaders castle on Mustafar.

And I have mixed feelings about The Last Jedi.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been doing some thinking and I know why I have mixed feelings about The Last Jedi.

1. The whole Canto Bight story was bland and pointless.
2. Too much forced humour.
3. Not letting Finn sacrifice himself for the resistance.
4. Rose as a character, she is just very bland and uninteresting.
5. Rey basically being a "Mary Sue". (A Mary Sue is a character who is flawless and exceptional at everything they do without putting in much effort.)
6. The whole plot with the resistance being right out side the First Orders range didn't make sense.
7. Phasma going out like a punk again.
8. Not having ANY explanation of Snoke.
9. Holdo, why didn't she tell everyone in the fleet her plan? If they're going to escape shouldn't the fleet know that they need to prepare the ships? And shouldn't Poe, a high ranking officer, know what the plan is?
10. Why didn't the First Order send TIE fighters to attack the resistance when they were running away?
11. Killing Admiral Ackbar like he was an insignificant character.
12. If Luke denounced the ways of the Jedi then why was he wearing Jedi robes at the end of TFA and at the beginning of TLJ?

These aren't all of the problems I have with it, these are just the ones I could name off the top of my head.

And there are many great moments in this movie, but it's far from perfect.
I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I understand why they did what they did with Luke, I don't have much of a problem with that.
But Rey being his replacement? I don't like, unless they can make her more interesting and have her actually fail and/or work for something (and actually explain her power).

As a movie, it's enjoyable but full of flaws.
As a Star Wars movie, it's meh. It has some great moments and it has bad plot lines.

My ranking of the movies if anyone wants to know is:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rouge One
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Last Jedi
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

This is all my opinion, and if you disagree with anything I've said I would love to hear what you have to say. :)

Last edited:
7. The Last Jedi
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones
When it's ranked with the clone wars... Thats saying something, and not something good.

Here is my order:

1. Rouge One
2. The Last Jedi
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Return of the Jedi
5. A New Hope
5. The Force Awakens
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

I know I have two 5s, they are tied

YouTube
Visit Channel
I left the theater liking the movie, but the more I think about it the more I don't like it.
It has very obvious story issues, it takes things that were setup in TFA and throws them away, it uses it's characters poorly and doesn't develop them well, and it contradicts things that happened in TFA and in the books and comics.

And it's still hard to believe that Luke Skywalker, the man who would not kill his father (the same guy who slaughtered CHILDREN) because there was still a slight chance that he might turn back to the light, would even think to kill his nephew who only had some dark in him. I like the "depressed Luke" idea, but the reason he was depressed is very hard to believe.

So I think that they made some very poor decisions in this movie, and if I were to list everything that I think is wrong with this movie than it would take a long time to write.

1. Rouge One
2. The Last Jedi
3. The Empire Strikes Back
If you like this movie then I can respect that, I want to like it but I can't.
Saying that it's better than Empire just doesn't make sense to me, but it's your opinion and I respect that.

Last edited:
I left the theater liking the movie, but the more I think about it the more I don't like it.
It has very obvious story issues, it takes things that were setup in TFA and throws them away, it uses it's characters poorly and doesn't develop them well, and it contradicts things that happened in TFA and in the books and comics.

And it's still hard to believe that Luke Skywalker, the man who would not kill his father (the same guy who slaughtered CHILDREN) because there was still a slight chance that he might turn back to the light, would even think to kill his nephew who only had some dark in him. I like the "depressed Luke" idea, but the reason he was depressed is very hard to believe.

So I think that they made some very poor decisions in this movie, and if I were to list everything that I think is wrong with this movie than it would take a long time to write.

If you like this movie then I can respect that, I want to like it but I can't.
Saying that it's better than Empire just doesn't make sense to me, but it's your opinion and I respect that.
I do kind of agree with a couple things though. I am in complete agreement that Rose was not a good character in the movie, and I wanted more of Phasma, and you're right, they just killed Akbar like he was nothing. Im actually ok with them not having much of Snoke, the throne room battle and his death made it totally worth it.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I do kind of agree with a couple things though. I am in complete agreement that Rose was not a good character in the movie, and I wanted more of Phasma, and you're right, they just killed Akbar like he was nothing. Im actually ok with them not having much of Snoke, the throne room battle and his death made it totally worth it.
I also love almost everything in the throne room scene.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Standard-issue disclaimer: I'm not a die-hard Star Wars fan. I've seen each of the 9 movies once and once each.

My thoughts on episode VIII:
Holdo is Hillary Clinton, except Clinton didn't sacrifice herself, she just lost. Whoever it was that introduced Holdo is clearly Huma Abedin. I'm not a huge fan of politics in movies, that's a little too overt. I ran across the suggestion that maybe Holdo didn't sacrifice herself, it was the light sabre splitting that destroyed the ship. I like that theory, I think. It would have been a better movie if Holdo had A) not been in it, or B) been shown to have been a traitor, and Poe was right.

My thoughts on episode IX+:
The Skywalker women (Leia, sort of Padme) don't turn to the dark side, but the men do (Anakin and Kylo) or seriously toy with it (Luke). Rey comes from another family that is opposite to that: she will turn to the dark side, and essentially become the next Darth Vader, while her brother who picked up the broom at the end will eventually take Leia's role as leader of the resistance. Rey's parents may be two of Luke's students from his failed Jedi academy who fled to Jaaku. It's entirely possible that the rest of their story is what Kylo said. They may even have used the Millennium Falcon to get to Jaaku.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Standard-issue disclaimer: I'm not a die-hard Star Wars fan. I've seen each of the 9 movies once and once each.

My thoughts on episode VIII:
Holdo is Hillary Clinton, except Clinton didn't sacrifice herself, she just lost. Whoever it was that introduced Holdo is clearly Huma Abedin. I'm not a huge fan of politics in movies, that's a little too overt. I ran across the suggestion that maybe Holdo didn't sacrifice herself, it was the light sabre splitting that destroyed the ship. I like that theory, I think. It would have been a better movie if Holdo had A) not been in it, or B) been shown to have been a traitor, and Poe was right.

My thoughts on episode IX+:
The Skywalker women (Leia, sort of Padme) don't turn to the dark side, but the men do (Anakin and Kylo) or seriously toy with it (Luke). Rey comes from another family that is opposite to that: she will turn to the dark side, and essentially become the next Darth Vader, while her brother who picked up the broom at the end will eventually take Leia's role as leader of the resistance. Rey's parents may be two of Luke's students from his failed Jedi academy who fled to Jaaku. It's entirely possible that the rest of their story is what Kylo said. They may even have used the Millennium Falcon to get to Jaaku.
I am also very annoyed at the politics they shoved in the movie, it felt like they sacrificed story for a political message.

And while I was watching the movie I thought that Holdo was a traitor, it would have made a lot more sense.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that Disney plans to only carry out the “Skywalker” series with this 3rd trilogy, and then plans to create another spinoff trilogy, along with many movies similar to Rogue 1