• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Standard puzzles for all five platonic solids?

zslane

So out of the five platonic solids, three exist in standardized (WCA-approved) forms:
  • Pyraminx (tetrahedron)
  • Cube(s) (cube)
  • Megaminx (dodecahedron)
Are there any puzzles of the other two solids--octahedron and icosahedron--that have settled into somewhat (de facto) standardized forms?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
So out of the five platonic solids, three exist in standardized (WCA-approved) forms:
  • Pyraminx (tetrahedron)
  • Cube(s) (cube)
  • Megaminx (dodecahedron)
Are there any puzzles of the other two solids--octahedron and icosahedron--that have settled into somewhat (de facto) standardized forms?
FTO is by far the most popular octahedron for speedsolving. Icosahedron puzzles aren't too popular, but the "Standard" form would be Oskar's Icosaix, which functions similarly to the FTO, just with more sides.

zslane

The LanLan Octahedron is what I picture as a canonical octahedron. It's too bad it's not popular enough for there to be more manufacturer's making it along modern lines (stickerless, magnetic).

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
The LanLan Octahedron is what I picture as a canonical octahedron. It's too bad it's not popular enough for there to be more manufacturer's making it along modern lines (stickerless, magnetic).
Yeah FTO hardware is not the greatest, there is a decent push to get it in the WCA so maybe there will be better hardware if it gets in.

thorsilver

FTO is by far the most popular octahedron for speedsolving. Icosahedron puzzles aren't too popular, but the "Standard" form would be Oskar's Icosaix, which functions similarly to the FTO, just with more sides.

Unfortunately the mass-produced Mf8 Icosaix is kind of a nightmare to actually use, it's corner-twist city.

Eitan's Star turns way better but is also incredibly difficult to solve. It's generally considered the hardest mass-produced twisty puzzle ever. Fantastic puzzle though. Here's mine:

eitan's-star-1-smol.jpegeitan's-star-2-smol.jpeg

There's also the Radiolarian 2 in the same series, and recently Mf8 released an Icosamate, which is a deep-cut icosahedron. VeryPuzzle also produced a Clover Icosahedron which is a jumbling puzzle, I don't think it's particularly hard to solve but it has 60 axes of rotation which is kind of incredible.

Finally, if you have many hundreds of dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy some incredibly beautiful higher-order Icosamate puzzles from Raphael (3D-printed).

Icosahedra are so cool, I wish a speedcubing company would make one!