• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Speedcubing in freefall

Lord

WCA
2008FICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i've never done a speedcubing-video before, but this one just had to be videotaped!

like dan knights, adam morgan and jimmy coll already did, i decided to take my cube to a skydive.. i played around with the cube in freefall before, but the strong winds are kind of annoying when you're belly-flying, holding your cube right into the relative winds. because of that and just because skydiving is all about having loads of fun, i wanted to solve my cube sitting in a rubber boat, sourrounded by other skydives who could take funny pics of the solve.

it took me 31,5 seconds to solve the cube, plenty of time when skydiving. it was an unlucky solve -- 6 moves cross, full f2l, 2look oll and r-perm.

so according to speedcubing.com i should now be the inofficial world-record-holder of solving the rubik's cube in freefall ;-) (beat dan knights by 0.5 sec)

have fun watching and leave your comments!

[youtubehd]tuNOvlqJ1IU[/youtubehd]

Lord

WCA
2008FICH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what would had happen if u have dropped the cube?

if i dropped it within the boat, nothing really serious would have happened, cause there is almost no relative wind at all above the boat. that's why i am able to turn the faces almost as fast as on ground -- i just need to hold on to the cube tighter than usual 'cause of all the movement going on.

if i dropped the cube outside of the boat, it could have caused some serious situations... i don't know about the behavior of the cube in freefall, whether it has a higher or lower freefall rate than we have as skydivers. either way, people could have gotten hurt pretty bad.

so it takes some skydiving experience before taking stuff with you in freefall :)

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll post it here instead so I don't hijack the other thread.

Sorry. As a cuber who has solved a cube in freefall, I don't consider your solve as beating Dan Knights. As you said, you were sitting in a boat which cut out a lot of wind resistance. It's easy to tell how much easier it was for you to solve the cube than it was for either me, Jimmy or Dan. In order to hold the UWR I would require that you freefall (solo or tandem) with just a parachute and the reserve and no tools can be used to assist you with your solve (in your case, the boat). But that's just me.

Dan Knights, Jimmy Coll and I did true free fall solves without any outside assistance. So far, I would say that we are the only three cubers eligible for the UWR.

Either way, congratulations on your solve. It looks like you had fun.

Last edited:

bwatkins

Sorry. As a cuber who has solved a cube in freefall, I don't consider your solve as beating Dan Knights. As you said, you were sitting in a boat which cut out a lot of wind resistance. It's easy to tell how much easier it was for you to solve the cube than it was for either me, Jimmy or Dan. In order to hold the UWR I would require that you freefall (solo or tandem) with just a parachute and the reserve and no tools can be used to assist you with your solve (in your case, the boat). But that's just me.

Dan Knights, Jimmy Coll and I did true free fall solves without any outside assistance. So far, I would say that we are the only three cubers eligible for the UWR.

I dont think there way any intention of "beating" other solvers in this video. I think it was just something cool that could be video taped.

Nice video.

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I dont think there way any intention of "beating" other solvers in this video. I think it was just something cool that could be video taped.

Nice video.

so according to speedcubing.com i should now be the inofficial world-record-holder of solving the rubik's cube in freefall ;-) (beat dan knights by 0.5 sec)

Whether or not he went out with the intent of beating Dan is one thing. He probably didn't. But now that he thinks he's the new holder of the UWR, I think we need to establish whether or not his solve counts. Obviously, in my opinion, it doesn't.

Last edited:

Whyusosrs?

What about if you had had a pop. The piece would obviously free fall slower then you... Probably never find the piece again.

hawkmp4

Yeah. I haven't done it (and never will), but dealing with the wind is a huge issue, I would imagine. You didn't have to do that, your solve was under considerably easier conditions...

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yea, I'd have to agree.

Saej

Yea, I'd have to agree.

I disagree. He did not use the raft to help him solve the cube, it just changed his environment. That would be like listening to music while at a comp; it is not directly helping you solve, but it modified your environment so that you can concentrate. As well as whether you stand or sit while solving at a comp.

He was in freefall while the cube was solved, and that is what the record is for.

Innocence

Yea, I'd have to agree.

I disagree. He did not use the raft to help him solve the cube, it just changed his environment. That would be like listening to music while at a comp; it is not directly helping you solve, but it modified your environment so that you can concentrate. As well as whether you stand or sit while solving at a comp.

He was in freefall while the cube was solved, and that is what the record is for.

Which is against the regulations...