• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

So I made the mistake of buying a Rubik's cube from the store

rei

The problems never end it seems. I bought a Milton Bradley manufactured Rubik's cube at the store today and I see now it was a mistake. This cube is the loosest POS I've ever seen. Will the problem fix itself after time or am I screwed? I'm thinking it might be okay and I'm just not used to it after using my really bad, tight cube for so long, but I did manage to get 1:55 on it (beginner's method of course). The main problem is when I'm working with the cube really fast sometimes the faces will swing farther than I want them to or I'll accidentally bump a face and it'll tilt 45 degrees so I can't move anything until i put it back. These things are killing my times.

Any advice would be nice.

Brett

Don't libricate it for now.

Are you using Fingertricks at all? (Moving faces with your fingers instead of grabbing and twisting). I'd imagine it' be impossible for your wrists to keep up, but eventually your fingers will be fast enough to keep up with that cube.

rei

Ah, I don't really understand fingertricks yet. I get the concept but I never really tried them or seen occasions where they could be used. I'd love to get a DIY but I don't want to get a new cube right after getting a new one. I'm a poor man, especially if I want to consider a 4x4 and a 5x5 (possibly 2x2) in the future.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, I don't really understand fingertricks yet. I get the concept but I never really tried them or seen occasions where they could be used. I'd love to get a DIY but I don't want to get a new cube right after getting a new one. I'm a poor man, especially if I want to consider a 4x4 and a 5x5 (possibly 2x2) in the future.

(Sigh) You've never seen an occasion where finger tricks could be used. How about when one turn is clockwise and the one right after is counterclockwise or vise versa? If you get the concept, then you should see when to use them(e.g. all the time). So, you either don't get the concept, you just know the definition, or you are using some really messed up algorithms.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you show us a video of your cube? It might be a normal one. Maybe you're just so used to your tight cube you used to have.

If you can't do that, can you show us a picture of the cube? Or I'll just look up "Milton Bradley".....

Is this what the package looked like? If so, I've never seen or heard of it before...
resize

Last edited:

rei

Yeah that's what it looks like. I'm slowly think I'm getting used to it though.

As far as fingertricks go, those look harder than I thought. Getting below a minute is going to be a hard road for me.

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah that's what it looks like. I'm slowly think I'm getting used to it though.

As far as fingertricks go, those look harder than I thought. Getting below a minute is going to be a hard road for me.
Fingertricks are hard? :D That's funny.

Turn the U face with index fingers . Turn D face with ring finger/middle finger, 4 finger tips (no pinky). Turn right/left faces with 4 finger tips (no pinky). Tun F face with index finger/thumb. Turn B face with index finger, ring finger.

Those are basic fingertricks you should know. Use these in your algorithms. They will help a lot.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Store bought cubes are awesome :)

When you feel a lockup occurring, just rotate that face back or forward to execute the move. If you force a face during a lockup on one of these cubes you'll damage it.

Don't throw the cube away either! You can still salvage the parts or just use it for novelty solves...

Tim.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Like you said, it's probably just because you're not used to it, and your turning technique has a long way to go. It's much easier to work on fingertricks on a loose cube as opposed to a tight cube. Just keep at it, and your fingertricks and turning accuracy will improve over time, hopefully decreasing lockups.

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
storebought cubes are great, some are better than most diys, the core of my best cube ever broke... -_- but that's another story
now my type a is just slightly bit better than my storebought, but that one is still awesome, the lockups will go away with the time, when pieces grind down a bit and you get used to the cube.

ManuK

I bought a Milton Bradley manufactured Rubik's cube at the store today and I see now it was a mistake. This cube is the loosest POS I've ever seen. Will the problem fix itself after time or am I screwed? I'm thinking it might be okay and I'm just not used to it after using my really bad, tight cube for so long, but I did manage to get 1:55 on it (beginner's method of course). The main problem is when I'm working with the cube really fast sometimes the faces will swing farther than I want them to or I'll accidentally bump a face and it'll tilt 45 degrees so I can't move anything until i put it back. These things are killing my times.

Any advice would be nice.

I too use Milton Bradley Rubik's cube.It had improved much,still locking up sometimes, and M moves are a bit difficult.I could manage 39 s with this cube.So i think, eventually after lots of turning it does become smoother.Also u could try lubing after a month or two(I cant find Silicone Spray here,so used Vaseline,which is not supposed to be good,then wiped it off after a week).Till then,practice,practice.However, for One-Handed, i think its better to buy a good cube(in case u r planning on doing).