• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Smallest Identity Maneuver

siva.shanmukh

WCA
2008SHAN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think this was ever discussed, but have you ever thought of what the smallest non-reducable maneuver that gives an Identity is!

My defn of non-reducable maneuver is that there are no X X' / X X2 combinations in the maneuver recursively.

I recently came across this:
F R U2 B U B' R' D2 F2 D2 R' L F2 B U2 F2 B2 D2 B L' R U2 B2 F' U' (I think Feliks posted it somewhere and I found this in some forum)

This is a 25 mover. And we know of (R U R' U') x 6 which is a 24 mover. I am wondering if there are shorter ones!

siva.shanmukh

WCA
2008SHAN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
L R L' R'

Realized I didn't cover everything I intended to.

Reducing the Maneuver :
-Always write R before L, U before D and F before B when consecutive recursively till no change in the maneuver
-Replace all X X' / X X2 combinations to "nothing" / X' respectively
-Replace all X4 kind to "nothing"

and if the maneuver is finally reduced to "nothing" it is not valid.

I would like to ponder over such maneuvers.
Lets replace slices with corresponding face turns and let us look at both QTM and HTM counts.

cuBerBruce

WCA
2006NORS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you eliminate all identities that are generally regarded as trivial, the answer for QTM was answered in the first reply of this thread. The shortest FTM (aka HTM) maneuver is HTM can be found from Cube Explorer. (Running its optimal solver on the solved cube results in showing the shortest non-trivial identity instead of the highly trivial 0-length maneuver.)

QTM: 12, example: F U' R' F R F' U' R U R' F' U
FTM: 8, example: U2 R2 L2 U2 D2 R2 L2 D2

BTW, there is a thread on QTM non-trivial identities at http://cubezzz.duckdns.org/drupal/?q=node/view/114, including the complete list of 1440 12q non-trivial identities.

Last edited: