• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I post a program for a timer (TI-84 Calculator)?

Should I upload the programs?

• HECK YEA!

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HECK NO!

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

tpt8899

Another quick question - would you guys prefer to see the whole thing in one huge program (probs going to have to change my lbl methods, which I know how to fix), or would you guys be fine with it being a group of programs? I am leaning towards the one big program. What dyou guys think?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another quick question - would you guys prefer to see the whole thing in one huge program (probs going to have to change my lbl methods, which I know how to fix), or would you guys be fine with it being a group of programs? I am leaning towards the one big program. What dyou guys think?
You could always do both. That is, you can make an app. I used to try to program everything into a single prgm, but constructing a program as a group of programs is the smarter way to program, even on the calculator. I was going to give you that code as two separate programs, but I wasn't sure what you wanted to do.

In addition, I'm not sure how you have constructed your program to give you further advice on what to do. If you pm me your current code, I can make a more educated suggestion. Speaking of which, if you do decide to make an app but can't run Basic Builder 3.0 on your machine (it's for windows), you can send me your group of programs, and I will send you the app version.

tpt8899

OK. The basic version of the timer is now complete! The only working scramble is the 3x3x3, so be warned. All sessions are saved individually, so a 2x2 solve won't go with any 3x3 solves, etc. I am currently working on doing all the scrambles. Documentation (Help guide) is soon to come.

MAJOR thanks to Cmowla for helping me a lot with the coding! He deserves a whole lot of credit for what he's done. So I would like to give you due credit!

So here's how to get the timer to your calculator:
Download the zip file here, then extract it anywhere on your PC.
Next, download TI connect (If you don't have it yet) here.
Then, connect your calculator to your PC using the chord that came with it.
Finally, open up TI connect, click Send to TI device, click select your device and select it, then click browse and find the .8xg file, then click send to device!
After its on your device, you will need to click second-memory (2nd+Plus) then click the eight button which should lead you to two menus - Group and Ungroup. Choose the ungroup menu by clicking the left/right arrows, and then click the version of the timer. If it asks about duplicate name, click overwrite all (3)

If there are any bugs, fill out the bug report form: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dE-Popx-cqwuRg0JbynaAjWF0grWo1Wy0PBdTisklVc&authuser=0
If you have any suggestions, fill out the suggestions form: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L-4h5ctvl2q7FA2bDPIqsiQ8ebkZ8Jg0_x1ladC3moY&authuser=0

Edit: I will also keep the OP updated, as well as place the bug report and suggestions form there.

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
MAJOR thanks to Cmowla for helping me a lot with the coding! He deserves a whole lot of credit for what he's done. So I would like to give you due credit!
You're welcome. It was fun!

To everyone (who cares), at the moment, I have programed all of the system with the exception of tpt8899's prgmSCRAMBLE (the 3x3x3 scramble), and thus, for those who are experienced TI-BASIC programmers (or know other programming languages) and would like to suggest a better software system structure to either reduce code (the system's total size at the moment is approaching 11000 bytes) or increase speed (which I highly doubt is possible to do in BASIC), please either pm me or post the specific suggested structure here for discussion purposes.

However, all bug reports, new feature requests, and other suggestions should be reported on tpt8899's forms. (Although I won't ignore you if you send me any of these through pm.)

EDIT:
I did not program prgmVARASM (an assembly program for detecting whether a variable exists in the RAM, archive, or doesn't exist), and I did not program prgmNUMTOSTG (a program which quickly converts--this is the most efficient possible code in TI BASIC--a number L to Str5): I got them from the web. However, the rest I have programmed from scratch, and thus any suggestions on the structure of any of the remaining 13 sub programs or the main program (prgmRCTIME---which will be eventually renamed to prgmRCTIMER), pm me.

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
@tpt8899,

I assumed when you created this thread almost a year ago that you knew somewhat what you were doing, as you implied that you *had* a timer already programmed and made a poll on whether you should post your code.

Personally, now I think you saw that your TI-84 plus graphing calculator had a clock and posted the poll to debate whether or not you should begin learning coding in TI Basic. Even if this is the case, that's not a problem at all, but the rest of my post will explain why I've decided to work on my timer independently of you, should the community desire this timer to be perfected. (Footnotes are included.)

Why don't you just tell the community the whole truth? Saying that phrase in size 5 font will not tell the community that you only wrote about 3% of the code in the current released version[SUP]1[/SUP] (if that...for everyone else reading who might have helped him with coding, see (*)), and I had to rewrite that 3% of code from scratch because the code you sent me[SUP]2[/SUP] for the timer and inspect functions were nonsensical and much longer than they needed to be.

Did you code prgmINSPECT and prgmTIME or did someone else do it for you?

(*)If someone else on the forums did code those for him, I'm just letting you know that he forgot to tell me.

This might not be the case, but I don't think I can take your word on it.

I had hope that, since you wanted this to be a joint project, at least you would write code for the scrambler programs, especially since I thought you did that yourself, but I just realized that you didn't program that either.

Maybe I should have re-read this thread, but when I mentioned to you that your scrambler code was "impeccable", you forgot to tell me that you didn't write it? So much for giving due credit to Chree, when I wrongly assumed that you wrote it.

This tells me just how much credit you planned to give me for my 11000 bytes of code. If I would not have said anything in this and my last post, I doubt anyone would know that I basically wrote the entire timer for you.:rolleyes:

@Chree, if you're still following this thread, and didn't view my prgms, in order to not have double white spaces between some moves and one at the end of the output string, this is how your code should be for the 3x3x3. (Oh, the "M" should be a 6...I combined all of tpt8899's scramble programs for the 2x2x2-7x7x7, skewb, and pyraminx, into one (that is, after I fixed the code) and therefore I had "M" as a variable.)

5qSs8Bl.png

I couldn't get it any shorter or faster than this in TI Basic. Any suggestions?

@tpt8899,
It's convenient you deleted the content in the first post of this thread and replaced it with my timer system without even mentioning my username[SUP]3[/SUP] to cover up the truth.:rolleyes: Why didn't you remove the poll and request a change of the title too?

If it takes me to write a post like this to motivate you to give me "due credit" when you claim to do just that, then you can tell me nothing to change my mind. No hard feelings, just no more dealings.

@To others,
If someone wants me to finish my timer, let me know by pm, and I will complete it whenever I can, but I am letting those who are following this thread know that I am officially disassociating myself and my work with tpt8899 because he is being dishonest both to me and to the community.

I wrote some impressive UI and string manipulation code for him (which makes up the majority of the current released version), and maybe he can take the time to learn the language and understand it so that he can present a real timer, but don't count on a full working system to your liking for some time, as I didn't comment my code.
I guess since I corrected and optimized the scrambler programs for the 2x2x2-7x7x7, skewb, pyraminx, and I wrote the megaminx scrambler and sent it to him yesterday, that will be a start for him.:rolleyes:

Footnotes

1. I posted a download link to the current version before he deletes or updates it.
2. Besides my prgmCURRAVG, which I originally posted the code to here, and the scrambler prgms, these are the prgms in the current released version. I am only posting this for those who are curious just how different my prgms are for prgmINSPECT and prgmTIME (which are in the current released version).
prgmINSPECT
nEcHWSH.png

prgmTIME
EP0hVnV.png
3. A screenshot of the first post as of right now.
3Ug1QGT.png

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't if this is exactly relevant to this thread, but I programmed a scramble generator on my Casio calculator. It generates a 25 move scramble that doesn't do moves on the same side twice in a row, or moves on the same axis three times in a row.

tpt8899

I did PM a mod/admin to have the title changed, and I have no clue on how to delete polls. I was starting to work on documentation where I would be giving due credit to all.

Also 1. I do know how to code in Basic
2. I had a less effecient timer, and that was just an improvement
3. My RAM got reset because of a buggy line that I messed up really badly on.

Last edited: