• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I disband my school club?

Brian Le

Title of thread says all. Should I disband my school's cube club? Reasons I want to:

1) No one attends
2) No one is interested anymore
3) Too stressful trying to get members coming in
4) Council has become disinterested.

What do you guys think? I'm more leaning to disbanding.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My school club is doing so much better... hehehe.
:)
People are actually yelling at me for not attending the meetings (I'm too busy.)
Plenty of people enjoy the cube, but none are crazily obsessed about it.
Specify your situation. Do whatever you want.

There will be a lot more people who attend if you make the cubing club just a nice place to hang out rather than a society of nerds with only the purpose of learning how to solve the cube.

person917

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a school club but I have thought about getting rid of mine too. I started with 10-15+ and every week less kids would attend, after they learned beginners method they stop showing up. Now I only have me and 2-3 people in it. I only have meetings once a week for an hour/hour and a half.

I would say if you have at least 2 people or more who are there and you enjoy cubing with them keep it. If it comes to the point where you dread going get rid of it.

Jhong253

WCA
2008HONG01
Same thing happened with my club. So many people got stressed out from trying to figure out the first layer of the LBL method... I tried my best to help them, but people in my school give up too easily.
I'd say that you should recruit more people who know how to cube (this is what I'm doing to slowly resurrect my club). Then teach more advanced methods, then you have more teachers available, so less pressure on you, and thus more people can come at a time.

YouTube
Visit Channel
People are actually yelling at me for not attending the meetings (I'm too busy.)

There will be a lot more people who attend if you make the cubing club just a nice place to hang out rather than a society of nerds with only the purpose of learning how to solve the cube.

where do you go to school? My town is a cubing whaseland accept for me and my friend. There are a couple of Dan Brown LBL solvers but I don't count them.:rolleyes:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Title of thread says all. Should I disband my school's cube club? Reasons I want to:

1) No one attends
2) No one is interested anymore
3) Too stressful trying to get members coming in
4) Council has become disinterested.

What do you guys think? I'm more leaning to disbanding.
Your club has already disbanded

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel

where do you go to school? My town is a cubing whaseland accept for me and my friend. There are a couple of Dan Brown LBL solvers but I don't count them.:rolleyes:

I'm actually in the same situation. Most people in my cubing club can't solve the cube. The teacher has been solving cubes longer than I have and is still just as obsessed with it as me and that's all that matters...
Being a teacher, he is much better at teaching beginners than me. He teachers some sort of CF-LBL although he uses Petrus with OLL-PLL himself.

d_sprink

I would say not to end it - remember that you are fortunate enough to have enough people to have a school club in the first place.

VirKill

YouTube
Visit Channel
In my stupid opinion, people loves something they good at it. Especially in cubing. So, teach as many people as possible secretly, and make sure they are sub 60 or something. When you have more people that can solve Rubik's cube in slightly same amount of speed, then you can make em compete/race. Such small competition will make more people interested. It will also make the competitor feel special and make them more addicted to it.

And yes, for now disband your club, and start to make underground cubing movement.... ;)

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eh, what kind of effort does it take to keep the club going? I have a club that has only about 4-5 people showing up including myself. Really all we do is just get together and cube which take anti-effort.
All that can happen is growth right?