• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should 4BLD and 5BLD means be recognized officially?

Should BigBLD means be recognized officially?

• Yes, and 2-means should be recognized as well

• Yes, but only means

• Only 2-means should be recognized

• No forms of means should be recognized

Results are only viewable after voting.
U

Underwatercuber

I don't get why they aren't means in the first place

U

Underwatercuber

What about MBLD means?
The problem with that is multibld takes an hour and usually there isn't 3 multibld attempts at a competition. 4Bld and 5Bld however usually are usually best of 3 format which means that by adding means for it almost nothing at competitions would change.

Sue Doenim

I think it'd have to work similarly to FMC means. Those don't have to be all from the same competition, do they?

Sue Doenim

Sorry, yeah, I guess I should have maybe checked that. You really only get them at FMC specialized competitions though, so MBLD means would be similar, only gettable at BLD specific competitions.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, that would ruin the all wca events completion club.

It doesn't work, too small success rate, the nature of the events would change completely.
  • Making it harder to get into the all wca events completion club is not necessarily a bad thing; you could argue both ways.
  • What do you mean by it doesn't work?
  • You could argue that such a small success rate is all the more reason to officially recognize those who can get a mean.
  • I'm not sure the nature of the event would change much. Competition ranking would still be by single, not mean. I suspect most people wouldn't even try to get a mean; it would just be a small number of people who might go a bit safer to try and get one.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem with that is multibld takes an hour and usually there isn't 3 multibld attempts at a competition. 4Bld and 5Bld however usually are usually best of 3 format which means that by adding means for it almost nothing at competitions would change.

also MBLD scores are combinations of points and time, taking a mean isn't very accurate :p

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it is just too hard to get a good pool of competitors who have a mean, since the event is hard itself.

So it is meaningless to have a ranking for it, and it will be not worthwhile to do analysis on the data, as many good solvers might not have a mean.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I don't really understand why they are treated differently to 3BLD means, as aside from the rarity, the same arguments apply to both.

Personally I find it a little frustrating when starting the third 3BLD attempt after two successes, because there is a temptation to go safe and get a mean rather than go all-out to get the best single. That seems a conflict of interest and distracts from the spirit of the competition which of course should be to go for the best result.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand the reason why these are treated differently from 3BLD. I see no logical justification for the difference.

I guess I don't really understand why they are treated differently to 3BLD means, as aside from the rarity, the same arguments apply to both.

Personally I find it a little frustrating when starting the third 3BLD attempt after two successes, because there is a temptation to go safe and get a mean rather than go all-out to get the best single. That seems a conflict of interest and distracts from the spirit of the competition which of course should be to go for the best result.

I'm biased since I stand to gain a world record if they were made official, but there honestly isn't any reasonable justification. In my cynical opinion, it's because the vast majority of delegates are all-rounders and would lose their platinum/gold club memberships and it would be too much effort to get it back.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm biased since I stand to gain a world record if they were made official, but there honestly isn't any reasonable justification. In my cynical opinion, it's because the vast majority of delegates are all-rounders and would lose their platinum/gold club memberships and it would be too much effort to get it back.
I'm not sure which way you're arguing. But anyway, I don't really see the point in any ranking being "official" unless it meets some WCA competitive purpose. Unofficial rankings already exist for big BLD means and people can care about it as much as they want to (like Kinchranks). What would be the purpose of making that ranking WCA "official"? For most events, competitions are decided on average, so that is ranked, and single should be ranked because that's what many see as the primary record in an event. But although BLD means are notable achievements, competitively they are nothing more than by-products of the format. The fact that the OP included 2-means in the poll shows how contrived it is :).

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure which way you're arguing. But anyway, I don't really see the point in any ranking being "official" unless it meets some WCA competitive purpose. Unofficial rankings already exist for big BLD means and people can care about it as much as they want to (like Kinchranks). What would be the purpose of making that ranking WCA "official"? For most events, competitions are decided on average, so that is ranked, and single should be ranked because that's what many see as the primary record in an event. But although BLD means are notable achievements, competitively they are nothing more than by-products of the format. The fact that the OP included 2-means in the poll shows how contrived it is :).

Ah, you're right, I was a bit ambiguous. I'm arguing for 4BLD and 5BLD means being official mainly because:
  • The vast majority of arguments for making 3BLD means officially recognised apply directly to 4BLD and 5BLD as well.
  • Making them official does not change the strategy of a competitor (as fastest single will win in competition)
  • It does not take extra competition resources away since the format is already Bo3 (compared to multi where 3 attempts are really rare and FMC where Bo3s were more frequent, but still rare)
  • No difficult changes would be required to update the database or the website.

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I should get all my ducks in a line one day and prepare a proper argument (GitHub style like Noah Arthurs did for 3BLD means) and challenge people to actually come up with legitimate reasons for not including official 4BLD and 5BLD means. I fear it will be mostly to do with it not being fair to 'all-events-club' members, although I don't remember that being an argument when FMC Mo3s were official.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
  • Making them official does not change the strategy of a competitor (as fastest single will win in competition)
That's the only point I disagree with, for the reason I gave a couple of posts back. I can't think of any other event where a competitor sitting down to solve is faced with a decision whether to prioritise single over mean/average or vice versa. In most cases, the best strategy is to solve as fast as possible, but that's not the case for 3BLD means where competitors are incentivised to go safe if they already have a good enough single to make the next round, for example.

People can of course pursue whatever goals they want even if not aligned with winning strategy, for example success streaks or fastest 2/2 multi, but in most other cases that's unofficial and not incentivised by an official ranking.

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against big blind means being official. I'm expressing the opinion that no BLD means should be official and 3BLD mean should never have been made official. But that's academic and since 3BLD is already official, I see no justification for 4&5BLD being treated differently.