• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RubiksJTimer (updates on JNetCube)

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everybody

Doug Li, from the yahoo speedcubing group, just made a good bunch of updates to JNetCube. It's now called RubiksJTimer. You can download the latest version here
In this page you can see all the releases, as the timer is evolving.

He made a lot of changes, both visual and code-related. It looks really cool now, the scramble viewer is pretty nice, and it has pyraminx and megaminx scramble viewers, with color choosing. It also records separate session averages in the same timer, meaning you can do some 3x3 solves, go to 4x4, do some solves, go back to 3x3 and your solves will still be there :)

also, now if you click POP, it will show POP in your time, and will be considered the worst solve in the average (acts like a DNF). If you have more than one POP, your average is DNF.

when you click the "+2" button, it will add a + to the time, like 12.34+

here are some cool screenshots :)
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/D_Funny007/RJT_IsoView.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/D_Funny007/RJT_MinxSchemeOptions.jpg

feedback and suggestions are aprecciated, and if you know how to program in Java and how to use SVN, your help is welcome, as there is more stuff to be done. You can contact him through the email which shows in the "About" box in the timer (click Help, then About)

Last edited:

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, that was the main reason I switched to CCT. I got so ****ed if I enterd a faulty time and had to recount the avg manualy, it happend once in a 1000+ avg. :p

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like it, but yah sometimes I got 0.06 >.< (stupid keyboard). Some of the scrambles I was getting had like pairs and x-crosses ready, but as I cubed more it disappeared (that or I just got tired and can't see them).

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
They should set up Trac if they haven't yet. A ticket system would be really useful for this kind of project that seems to be growing still. (and on which there is still work to be done and bugs to be reported).

Also the fact that you cant erase a time from your average is extremely annoying. Often times I do average of 12, and accidentally hit space twice or something on my 11th try and it records time of 0.05 or something and completely screws up my average

Yup. Doug here.

As for what Harris was noticing, I just wanted to say that the way RJT picks the scrambles is no different from how JNC did it. So whatever you are observing is not something I did to change it. I did change Pyraminx scrambles quite a bit. And I added Megaminx scrambles using my own code.

NxN you can import MES,mes, Rw', xyz and all that crazy notation.

Megaminx you can import various notations of Stefan, Hayes, WCA 08, WCA 07 (ABCDEFabcdef) and it will display them properly.

fanwuq: deleting individual times is a feature that I am working towards, it is already a lot easier to implement on the back-end with the new structure I'm using to hold the times. If any of you can design the UI for such a thing that would help.

I was thinking maybe to pop-up a JList that looks a bit like CCT's and then allow it in there, with context-clicks.

-Doug

erm... decided to switch everything back from Float to Double precision just now. Download revision 115. I was having issues with adding time of 602.345. It rounded incorrectly for some large number past 9 minutes.... I also now have code to protect against users entering negative times as well.

The input box would allow '-' signs, lol. I am about to add ability to accept times entered in minutes format too.

-Doug

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
on a side-note, I decided to still allow users to enter a time of 0

what do you guys think?

I wouldn't check the times at all. Just make sure, it's a number and you're fine.

btw. the interface of the timer looks a bit overloaded. In my opinion you shouldn't have overtaken the old interface, since it was crappy ;).

Last edited:
Okay Pedro just noticed something weird. Times are now showing up in local format (from the internal localization algorithm). So like in the US it will be '.' and ',' in some other places.

This may or may not be a good thing, I'm not yet sure. It does make it annoying for copy-paste into UWR listing I guess.

For r115, I took out a lot of old code that used the class NumberFormat/DecimalFormat, where Hunt forced US locality in the constructor. I was able to remove a lot of code by switching over to "static String.format()" but this does not impose any locality restrictions.

Discuss.

-Doug

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How about constructive criticism? What would be a change to the interface that would make you happy?

Hey, i'm not a designer :p. I've got no idea how to arrange the elements properly, but i know that it looks overloaded. Maybe you could start by removing the standard deviation.

Ok, here are some thoughts:
i find the numbers above the 12 solves needless.
Without the numbers above each solve, you could put the 12 times in a small list instead of wasting so much space.
And listing the individual solves for your best average is needless too.
Calling "Session statistics for 4x4x4" => "Session statistics" is enough, since the puzzle already shows up twice in the applicaiton.
The "Insert own time" button is kinda misplaced. It should belong to the timer itself.
"Full Session Reset" => "Session Reset"
I find the "Progress" useless too. Since the progression compared to your last solve doesn't say anything and is also easy to see from the times.
Same with "Previous Time". While using Jnetcube i never pay attention to any of these two values.
"Slowest Time" and "Fastest time" can also be deleted. But maybe they should be kept for the color-blinds.

btw. I haven't tried the timer yet, but i miss a dnf button, since all my dnfs aren't pops. They are wrong recognition of PLLs and blindly stopping the timer. And discarding a DNF feels kinda wrong.

Last edited:
I changed it now for the Standalone mode, but the Server/Client mode is running off it's own stats engine - the old code, and it's something I will need a lot of time to revamp (like seriously re-writing 300 lines of code). But when I'm done you can import algs into S/C mode...

The change I just made touched over 100 lines too, so it was pretty hard-coded into it.

It will be in the next snapshot I do... not going to upload it yet. I'm on r117 now. This is a lot of work!

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the "session statistics" box I agree with Tim "recent time" and "previous time" are not needed. Maybe you can replace them with fastest solve and slowest solve as those may not be visible anywhere else unless you scroll the the details and many people like to know the fastest solve of a session.
Something completely random but it just popped into my head. Maybe something for you to indicate if you had a skipped step so you can know if a solve is lucky or not if you want to look back at the times later.
And if you are only going to have one POP/DNF button should you make it DNF as if you pop you can always reassemble the cube and continue solving.