• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
The following is from an RSA post on Google+ and might have something to do with why it's taking so long.

"Rubik Speedsolving Association is now being filed for registration in Budapest, Hungary and will hopefully be operational in a matter of weeks. RSA has initiated a strong collaboration with the World Cubing Association and is already involved in the organisation of the Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 in Paris in July.

In order to make the Championship a unique success, RSA has already secured additional sponsorship from Rubik's Brand Ltd., Gan Cubes, and Rubik's French partners. Discussions are underway with major corporations to ensure further financial contributions."

Hi all,

we finally released the competition's website, with details about events, qualification limits, and provisional schedule; you can find it here: http://www.rubiksworldparis2017.com.

We will have qualification limits for this competition.
We want to welcome as much people as possible for popular events, therefore *any* result in 3x3, 2x2, and Pyraminx will qualify you for the corresponding event.
Other events have stricter qualification limits, that you can check out on the competition website.

When these limits have to be met, and how registrations will work is explained on the "Registration" page of the website.
We still need to figure out some details before opening the registrations, but we expect it to happen very soon.

Since the schedule and qualification limits are known, and since the maximum number of competitors for the competition is 1000, we believe everyone can finalize their trip without being afraid of not having a spot :)

We know we've kept you waiting for some time on important details, here are some explanations:

- Why did it take you so long to announce a date and a venue?

There were some months between the Board's announcement and the date/venue announcement. Initially we actually had plans for a smaller venue (for ~500 competitors) a bit farther away from Paris. Given the AC2016 popularity, and given the competition was in almost a year, we decided to give us some more time to find a bigger/closer venue. Our main sponsor, Design Your Cube, did a great job at this but it obviously couldn't happen within a few weeks.
We were quite happy to announce the current venue, since it's amazingly big (and close to Paris city center!) :)

- Why did it take you so long to publish the website?

A lot of people are involved in the organization of this competition, and some details had to be discussed and reviewed by many people (us/our sponsors/the Board).
We've simply been quite busy with a few important topics!

- What's up next?

You can expect some updates in the upcoming days/weeks: we are working with our partner Hotels to get the booking links including the discounts, we will send staff information to all delegates very soon, and obviously we're working on opening the registrations asap!

See you in Paris!
Philippe Virouleau, on behalf of the WC2017 organization team.

Joel2274

The registration tab says that you can still register for an event even if you don't make the qualifications. So does that just mean the "qualifications" are hard cut offs?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The registration tab says that you can still register for an event even if you don't make the qualifications. So does that just mean the "qualifications" are hard cut offs?

Hard cutoffs = not a real term.

If you mean time limits, no. The next sentence on the registration page answers your question:

However, on June 19th when closing the registrations, we will remove all registrations to events that don’t meet the qualification limits.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: Absolutely ninja'd

I believe it means you can register for an event now, and qualify for it later.

If you don't meet the qualification by June 19th, then you can't compete in it.

rubik_fr

What's the "Nation Cup"?
Nation cup is an unofficial event that sponsors wish to create with WC2017 organisation team. Details are still under discussion.
The idea is to reveal the best nation of speedcubing on the basis of its best competitors. We listed this event in the schedule although it is not an official WCA event, simply because it will be a nice show to follow and that we already have to book on our schedule. We will give details later but there are in good way, don't worry. Thanks for your patience.
JLM on behalf of WC2017 organization team.

Joel2274

Edit: Absolutely ninja'd

I believe it means you can register for an event now, and qualify for it later.

If you don't meet the qualification by June 19th, then you can't compete in it.

Ah...I see. Do you think that if the 1000 competitor limit isn't reached that they will allow more competitors to do events they don't qualify in? Not to complain about their rules or anything, but I'm not really a fan of the qualifying times thing. I could qualify for most of the events but because I've never been to a competition that hosts those specific events I can't compete in it? That just doesn't make much sense to me. However, if the 1000 competitor limit is reached then I can see how time could become a problem forcing the competitions to go off schedule. I was wanting to do multi blind at worlds, but I can't because I haven't gotten an official result yet. It isn't an issue of getting the actual scores, its an issue of being able to compete. Multi blind isn't a very popular event and because of it, I haven't been able to attend a competition that has multi blind as an event in my 2 years of cubing. Again, I don't mean to rant, but if anyone has a more reasonable explanation as to why qualifying is even a thing I would love to hear your thoughts.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah...I see. Do you think that if the 1000 competitor limit isn't reached that they will allow more competitors to do events they don't qualify in? Not to complain about their rules or anything, but I'm not really a fan of the qualifying times thing. I could qualify for most of the events but because I've never been to a competition that hosts those specific events I can't compete in it? That just doesn't make much sense to me. However, if the 1000 competitor limit is reached then I can see how time could become a problem forcing the competitions to go off schedule. I was wanting to do multi blind at worlds, but I can't because I haven't gotten an official result yet. It isn't an issue of getting the actual scores, its an issue of being able to compete. Multi blind isn't a very popular event and because of it, I haven't been able to attend a competition that has multi blind as an event in my 2 years of cubing. Again, I don't mean to rant, but if anyone has a more reasonable explanation as to why qualifying is even a thing I would love to hear your thoughts.

Tim Reynolds wrote a good post on the rationale for qualifications here:

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ne-indiana-july-7-9.62880/page-6#post-1206746

While it applies mostly to CubingUSA Nationals, I imagine that the issues Worlds and CubingUSA Nationals have many similar issues they face. MBLD has its own issues like longer scrambling times, the need for many judges for just a few competitors, and the overlapping in schedule with other events. These factors likely contribute to the need for harsher qualifications for MBLD.

Last edited:

Joel2274

Tim Reynolds wrote a good post on the rationale for qualifications for qualifying times here:

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ne-indiana-july-7-9.62880/page-6#post-1206746

While it applies mostly to CubingUSA Nationals, I imagine that the issues Worlds and CubingUSA Nationals have many similar issues they face. MBLD has its own issues like longer scrambling times, the need for many judges for just a few competitors, and the overlapping in schedule with other events. These factors likely contribute to the need for harsher qualifications for MBLD.

Thank you for finding that article. I guess qualifying times makes more sense now. When he mentioned a qualifying round, does that mean the competitor could get his qualifying time at the beginning of the competition? Even if that's the case, I doubt worlds will have a qualifying round because he said nats took up a lot of time...but worlds is 1000 people, much more than nats so I guess that won't become a thing. Hopefully there will be a way to qualify in events that you are fast enough for but just haven't been able to compete in due to lack of comps that support the event.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for finding that article. I guess qualifying times makes more sense now. When he mentioned a qualifying round, does that mean the competitor could get his qualifying time at the beginning of the competition? Even if that's the case, I doubt worlds will have a qualifying round because he said nats took up a lot of time...but worlds is 1000 people, much more than nats so I guess that won't become a thing. Hopefully there will be a way to qualify in events that you are fast enough for but just haven't been able to compete in due to lack of comps that support the event.

Qualifying rounds were removed from the regulations in 2014, due to their unpopularity. I think the last year a qualification round was used is 2010, but I could be wrong on that. Usually, they were a best of 3 round, rather than average of 5, and most organizers decided to do away with them due to the fact that competitors wanted to complete an average, and they weren't worth the time they took up.

The USA is having a qualification movement right now to give competitors a chance to qualify for US Nationals, and so more competitions with uncommon events have been appearing as a result. There's 5 upcoming events with MBLD in the USA:

https://www.worldcubeassociation.or...present&year=all+years&delegate=&display=list

Not the most easy to reach from Colorado, unfortunately, but if you're close to Denver, a lot of these cities aren't too bad to fly to. And it wouldn't likely help for this year's world's, but you can always talk to your local delegates like AJ Blair to see if you can host a competition like PBQ Berkeley this past month that focus on the quiet events. Those kinds of competitions are fairly easy to run due to the unpopularity of those events.

Joel2274

Qualifying rounds were removed from the regulations in 2014, due to their unpopularity. I think the last year a qualification round was used is 2010, but I could be wrong on that. Usually, they were a best of 3 round, rather than average of 5, and most organizers decided to do away with them due to the fact that competitors wanted to complete an average, and they weren't worth the time they took up.

The USA is having a qualification movement right now to give competitors a chance to qualify for US Nationals, and so more competitions with uncommon events have been appearing as a result. There's 5 upcoming events with MBLD in the USA:

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions?utf8=✓&event_ids[]=333mbf&region=USA&search=&state=present&year=all+years&delegate=&display=list

Not the most easy to reach from Colorado, unfortunately, but if you're close to Denver, a lot of these cities aren't too bad to fly to. And it wouldn't likely help for this year's world's, but you can always talk to your local delegates like AJ Blair to see if you can host a competition like PBQ Berkeley this past month that focus on the quiet events. Those kinds of competitions are fairly easy to run due to the unpopularity of those events.

As much as I would like to fly to a competition just to do 1 event, it probably won't happen. However, I emailed Aj Blair yesterday to see if hosting a competition in my area would be a possibility.