• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

WCA
2015LLOY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
At risk of sounding impatient, how long will we have to wait before the date of the comp is announced? July is usually a busy month for me and my family, we often travel a lot and often plan for things on this month like a year in advance.

Ta.

Sin-H

WCA
2007HUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Educate yourself. There are many countries that never ever had a terrorist attack in history. For example, Poland
"Never in history" - What the OUN did in West Ukraine doesn't count as terrorism in your books?

A better guess for a country that has "never ever" had a terrorist attack "in history" would probably be Liechtenstein or Andorra, although I did not verify this claim.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting snippet from the WCA stats page. 43 countries were represented at Euros 2016. The most ever represented at Worlds was 37 in 2015.

Edit: Which means having Worlds in Europe next year is a good thing because there's a high chance of having the most countries represented, which is what Worlds is all about.

Last edited:

The Red Cuber

Wow this is so awesome! I live about 400km away from Paris, so that's not that far from where I live. I would really like to go but my parents don't really support my cubing hobby so I think I can't go :(

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting snippet from the WCA stats page. 43 countries were represented at Euros 2016. The most ever represented at Worlds was 37 in 2015.

That's no fair, Europe is so condensed with small countries that are easy to travel between. In my opinion, at least, getting people from 37 countries to Brazil is much more impressive.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All Single+Average, World Championship Podiums, History of World Records, History of Continental Records
( Source: http://wcadb.net/ )
Thanks for posting!
I'd probably do my remaining events in this order: 7x7, 6x6, Megaminx, 5x5, 4x4, Clock, Pyraminx, 2x2 average. (3BLD mean, 4BLD, 5BLD, Feet would be done throughout.)

Ben Wak

WCA
2015WAKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At risk of sounding impatient, how long will we have to wait before the date of the comp is announced? July is usually a busy month for me and my family, we often travel a lot and often plan for things on this month like a year in advance.

Ta.

Yes I think I may have exams around this time as well so it would be good to know as soon as possible

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
The terrorist attacks are precisely why you guys should go. Don't let the murdering scum achieve their aims. BTW if 1000 people were definitely going to die in France each of the competition days I think it would still be considered very safe to attend.

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The terrorist attacks are precisely why you guys should go. Don't let the murdering scum achieve their aims. BTW if 1000 people were definitely going to die in France each of the competition days I think it would still be considered very safe to attend.
normally I would agree - however sporting events are perfect targets unfortunately, with a large number of people packed into a small space (relatively), thereby maximising fatalities.
While it is unlikely any terrorist would even think of a rubiks cube competition as a target, who knows in the current climate.
If enough people would feel safer in poland or something, imo the board should seriously consider it

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
normally I would agree - however sporting events are perfect targets unfortunately, with a large number of people packed into a small space (relatively), thereby maximising fatalities.
While it is unlikely any terrorist would even think of a rubiks cube competition as a target, who knows in the current climate.
If enough people would feel safer in poland or something, imo the board should seriously consider it
Our cubing competition, even Worlds, will not gather anywhere near enough people to be an interesting target for terrorists. We will have maybe few thousand people maximum there. Rush hour subway stations, museums and other tourist attractions, football matches, other big sports event (rubiks cube world championship isn't really a big event after all) and many others are all significantly more attractive targets for possible terrorist attacks...

And IMO no we shouldn't reconsider. Because just as Tony Fisher said: That is exactly what the terrorists want. To spread fear.

Also terrorists have killed something like ~100-200 french people during the past year. And there are millions of people living in France. So the odds of dying in terrorist attack even if you lived there are still quite low and we are just going to stay there for 1 weekend so they are much lower than that even.

EDIT: Also I find it quite amusing that nobody seemed to complain about safety of Sao Paolo and how they were afraid to go there. I am quite certain that Sao Paolo is still more dangerous place to be in than Paris is :D

TheAlex6119

I'm so excited for this! I want it to be now, I'm sure it's going to be very funny! And for the people who are afraid of the terrorist attacks, don't think it too much. If you don't go because of that, just think how would you feel after knowing that nothing happened.