• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When people are worried about the risk of dying the statistics on doing so are relevant IMHO.

Only if those statistics are directly relevant. How about you go digging for the statistics to determine which Western country has people at greatest risk of dying or getting injured from a terrorist attack?

Anyway, as people say, the risk is low, but it would have been much lower in other countries. Also, so what if it's more likely to die of say a car accident? It's the same risk anywhere in the world (kinda to an extent), so that's a risk we're all used to. But for some of us not living in areas of the world where people prefer to kill each other rather than be friends, it's hard to accept any risk of terrorist attacks.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, so what if it's more likely to die of say a car accident? It's the same risk anywhere in the world (kinda to an extent), so that's a risk we're all used to.
No it's not. Brazil has over 4x the number of deaths on the roads per head of population compared to France, so you will be way safer in 2017 than in 2015.

And if you really think that is outweighed by the risk of terrorism, consider that in the last 12 months France has seen four fatal terrorist attacks with 217 deaths. Compare to 3268 killed on the roads in 2013 in many separate incidents. You are way, way more likely to be killed crossing the road.

Again, just because it makes awful headlines round the world doesn't mean it's the biggest risk in travelling to France, and I hope the fact someone brought it up on here doesn't discourage anybody from going to Paris and having a great time.

Kev43

WCA
2009GUIL01
Bien sûr! J'ai besoins de pratiquer mon Français.

Aaahhh, Paris!
Aaahh, l'ésprit parisien.
Aha I hope to see you both there :)

But for some of us not living in areas of the world where people prefer to kill each other rather than be friends, it's hard to accept any risk of terrorist attacks.
I would then advise you to stay where you are and where people are friends. But please stop posting things that can influence others and discourage them to go to Worlds.

DTCuber

Statistics are numbers.
Numbers do not lie.
They are twisted to fit certain agendas.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No it's not. Brazil has over 4x the number of deaths on the roads per head of population compared to France, so you will be way safer in 2017 than in 2015.

And if you really think that is outweighed by the risk of terrorism, consider that in the last 12 months France has seen four fatal terrorist attacks with 217 deaths. Compare to 3268 killed on the roads in 2013 in many separate incidents. You are way, way more likely to be killed crossing the road.

Again, just because it makes awful headlines round the world doesn't mean it's the biggest risk in travelling to France, and I hope the fact someone brought it up on here doesn't discourage anybody from going to Paris and having a great time.

So what you're saying is 1.5 people die every two days from terrorist attacks, and WCs will go for four days, so while we're in France we can expect 3 people (possibly cubers) to die from terrorist attacks? ;)

Anyway, you twist facts if you say you're more likely to be killed crossing the road. When you cross the road you can take your time and make sure everything's safe before you go ahead. If someone decides to go all nuts on the world there isn't much you can do.

Also I didn't start the discussion, I just had to deal with people saying misleading things (like yourself). The great thing about freedom is people can make informed decisions. If someone decides for themself that they don't wish to go because they are scared of the risk of a terrorist attack, that is a decision that they should make with full awareness of the facts. So I'd appreciate if you don't deprive people of their freedom (by attempting to mislead with bogus statistics, and silencing opposing voices), and allow them to come to their own decisions.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Dene, of course people have the freedom to make up their own minds, according to which twisted version of facts they choose to believe.

So, which set of facts do you believe? Are you just here to tell us you're too scared to go to Paris, or are you making a case why other people should be concerned too? Because your comments earlier in the thread look like the latter. Sorry to say it, but you are spreading fear and doing a disservice to France, WCA and the comp organisers.