• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube World Championship 2017 - Paris, France (13-16 July 2017)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
But am I the only one how has some doubts/concerns because of the recent terrorism in France? (I know that one of the goals is to spread fear in the population, but still)
I mean, if it's a little outside Paris like it was in Prague, it would be ok I guess. But right in the city? I dunno tbh
It would take a couple more massive terrorist attacks for the murder rate in France to approach a third of what it is in the US.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Throwing out death statistics is completely irrelevant. Both the US and France are currently fairly dangerous countries to go as far as random killings are concerned.

I hope I can get there, but we'll have to see how it goes. I've needed an excuse to go to Europe for years...

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm so over this whole "Oh, Paris is suddenly the murder/terrorism capital of the world!" thing, and it's been all of half a day. No. It's not a problem. If you don't want to go because it's in Paris, there are plenty of people who don't care.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
The risk should be viewed in proportion. For example, compare number of people killed annually in France by terrorism to number killed annually in traffic accidents, or in train/plane crashes since that's how many of us will get there.

And also, compare the risk of being murdered in France to risk of being murdered in your home city. I'm sure some reading this will be safer in Paris.

Just because it makes big headlines doesn't mean it's statistically a big risk.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone want to start some speculation on the size of the competition? I feel like this very well could be the first super-massive cubing competition (1000+ competitors, perhaps?), because of how big cubing is growing. Then again, we could have another ~600 person one, but I think a lot of wait-listers would be really disappointed. What do you all think?

hamfaceman

WCA
2015MONC01
Anyone want to start some speculation on the size of the competition? I feel like this very well could be the first super-massive cubing competition (1000+ competitors, perhaps?), because of how big cubing is growing. Then again, we could have another ~600 person one, but I think a lot of wait-listers would be really disappointed. What do you all think?
I think it really depends on the venue nowadays instead of how many people the comp can have before it overloads the schedule because people are just so good at organising big comps nowadays. So I think 1000 is a reasonable estimate, especially given how close together all the European countries are.