• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubiks Cube Club

CubeAddict

Hey guys, haven't been here a WHILE, haha. However my addiction of Rubiks Cubes is incessant. Anyway I am trying to start a RC Club at my highschool, any ideas, or suggestions? Please be free to be very open.

Thanks

CubeAddict

I did man, I am suppose to meet him tommorow, any suggestions involving club management?

I would say just set some rules and guidlines down, and make sure not to just be a push-over. For example, you could make a rule where everyone had to pay 10 dollars or bring their own cube, and they can borrow one for up to a week or something of that nature. Just have a plan.

H

hdskull

Okay, make sure you know how u'r going to run ur meetings, and what the club will do. Because if all you do is cube in the club, then might as well just have a gathering at some place. You might want to teach, fundraise, etc, plan it out.

Jason

WCA
2008GYAN01
Don't charge people, people who don't really know what it's about will never pay money to join. I started a club at uni and it's working really well. I reckon the best way to start is to create a rubik's cube "workshop" inside an already existing general games club. That way you'll have loads of people already around and who are interested in that type of stuff. You'll have people there by default to show-off your skills to, rather than starting a club in a room on you own.
Let me know how it works out.

dRaGoN

Most clubs have fee's so it wouldn't be too bad to make them pay. I'm sure some of you have some old cubes lying around to loan to people for short periods, so that could work in the beginning, but it's best to encourage people to buy their own. I've been teaching quite a few people at school, and if they have enough interest to try to solve one outside of school, they're usually willing to buy one too.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
just buy a bunch of cubes and sell them at your school yourself... As for the club, talk about different methods, maybe try to teach people some advanced stuff, maybe even some math stuff like Commutators and a little bit of Group Theory that accompanies the Rubik's cube?
from the beginning you will probably just be offering help left and right so that people can get started on the beginners method at least. Then maybe try get some money from the school and get stackmats/timers etc., if your club goes well. Good luck :)

I started a club as well, it shouldn't be terribly hard if, as has been said above, you have a plan.

In order to sell the idea to my school's administrators, I came up with an extensive list of rules and regulations (parts of which are excerpts from the WCA regulations). I don't pull them out every meeting and make sure everyone's following them or something like that, but they are good to have and i think adds some degree of credibility (when everybody heard there was a Rubik's Cube Club at my school, there were mixed reactions...). If anyone wants, the regulations for my club can be found at:
http://www.freewebs.com/sirshazaam/tca.htm
it's at the very bottom of the page; you can just change the names, etc. to make it unique for your club, but i don't mind if anyone uses it as a template.

I think one very vital thing you need before you start a cubing club is to have a core group of people who you know will support the club and come to the meetings. What I did was get people interested early on, and then, after teaching a whole bunch of people to do the cube, general interest increases. The more people you have, I think, the better.

In terms of money, I don't think it's really necessary, but it's definitely not a bad thing to have. For my club, I'm charging money to be an official member, and that price includes the club t-shirt, which their name will get to be on. Basically we want to get speedstack timers..

hope all that is useful
and lol I thought I was the only brave soul who started a club...

dRaGoN

Wow Alexander that website is great. I think your whole thing is really awesome. Nice job. A good help for everyone else who is looking to start a club. =]

yeah, i taught all those people cross on left, though some of them can do cross on bottom as well

i chose to do cross on left b/c at the time i started to learn Fridrich, Leyan Lo held the record, so i wanted to learn the method the record holder used.

brad711

I am also thinking of starting a Rubik's Cube club. We nearly already have one, but it's not official. We just race during all of lunch.

skinnyandweak

well, me and my friend are thinking about creating a rubik's club, but first i need some tips and advice. i see your club is going great alex, and i also watched all the club videos, looks like a bunch of fun. so any suggestions?

my friend i'm starting it with already started one a few years back, but it wasn't successful, and i don't want that to happen again, that's why i need some preparation =P