• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Remove 3x3x3 with Feet as an Official Event?

Do you think 3x3x3 WF should be removed from the list of official events?

• Total voters

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you understand that there can be legitimate reasons for removing something other than not liking it?

This whole time you've gone on about this, you've never actually said any reason other than you don't like it. Explain your reason if you have one!

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Feet makes cubing look less legitimate and just silly. Also, many people find it gross and don't want to scramble/judge it.

I have to agree with this. The only reason I could ever see for competing in feet is the easy OCR, because I don't exactly find it fun, I don't know of anyone who actually prefers feet to normal 3x3. Not only is it unpopular amongst solvers, not many people want to judge/scramble/run for it, and it's kind of cringeworthy to see at a huge competition such as World's.

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
Feet makes cubing look less legitimate and just silly. Also, many people find it gross and don't want to scramble/judge it.

I agree. Feet is a sideshow that the media and non cubers like to oggle at. It takes focus away from the talented people who do amazing things with their hands (and minds!). It gives the wrong impression to non cubers and is a roadblock to any attempts at getting the general population to take cubing seriously.

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Feet makes cubing look less legitimate and just silly.
Are you saying that because of feet-solving, cubing may not be taken seriously? Because I don't feel that to be true. In fact many non-cubers are amazed by the fact that people can solve a cube with their feet, it doesn't appear to be trashing the reputation of the WCA or anything like that. Maybe it's a bit silly, but not in a detrimental way

Also, many people find it gross and don't want to scramble/judge it.
True, but as long as enough people are willing to judge/scramble for a particular competition, then what's the problem? I hate to use this repetitive argument, but you don't have to have the event at every small competition.

Not only is it unpopular amongst solvers, not many people want to judge/scramble/run for it,
Might sound a bit anecdotal, but at the World Championships last month there were more competitors in 3x3 with feet than there were in 4x4 blindfolded and 5x5 blindfolded. It's not as if hardly anyone competes in it.

and it's kind of cringeworthy to see at a huge competition such as World's.
Cringeworthy? Is it that embarrassing that feet-solving exists? I feel like there's something here that I'm not getting...

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I'm on phone and for some reasons line breaks don't work on this site+my browser so apologies for the format.
Might sound a bit anecdotal, but at the World Championships last month there were more competitors in 3x3 with feet than there were in 4x4 blindfolded and 5x5 blindfolded. It's not as if hardly anyone competes in it.
That is because solving 4x4 and 5x5 blindfolded is a(n) unique skill that few people can successfully do. With feet and one handed are the exact same puzzle/solution just with a handicap. There are more people doing feet because it is easy (OH is one of my main events btw). Magic and master magic were removed due to triviality, not because few people competed, in fact magic was extremely popular, but was met with the similar, "most competitors didn't like the event".
Cringeworthy? Is it that embarrassing that feet-solving exists? I feel like there's something here that I'm not getting...
um... yes I do find it that way otherwise I wouldn't have included it. I see media/noncubers watching feet and it just seems to give cubing a bad image.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why all of a sudden are we worrying about the media image of an activity which involves people solving plastic toys as fast as possible? For the record, in my experience people are more interested in stuff like OH than feet solving. The more general reaction for feet has been shock/confusion, and then not much else when they realise that not many people can do it in a time quick enough to keep someone's interest...

And to fuel the side topic I'm not a fan of Mo3 in general, and would support a switch to Ao5.

EDIT: realised I didn't even state my opinion... I say keep feet

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This all come back to the philosophy that the WCA want to adopt regarding the future of official events. Currently the only thing we have to go by is "more fun for more people", which is pretty useless when people differ on opinion. All of this discussion is pointless until the WCA provides clear direction for speedcubers to think about.

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This all come back to the philosophy that the WCA want to adopt regarding the future of official events. Currently the only thing we have to go by is "more fun for more people", which is pretty useless when people differ on opinion. All of this discussion is pointless until the WCA provides clear direction for speedcubers to think about.

I agree, arguing over opinions isn't really going to do much. We should wait for the WCA to pitch in. That Tyson Mao is pretty smart, he'll know what to do :D

Benyó

WCA
2008BARA01
i'd like to see some statistics of how many competition held feet in the past some years and what percentage of the competitors competed in it. can someone do it? it will be shocking.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
i'd like to see some statistics of how many competition held feet in the past some years and what percentage of the competitors competed in it. can someone do it? it will be shocking.

The amount of competitions that held it would be a low %, but when held lots of people probably do it just for cheap records.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The amount of competitions that held it would be a low %, but when held lots of people probably do it just for cheap records.

I'm pretty sure that Oceania is the only popular cubing place in the world where feet solving times are slow.

Here in North America, we have quite a few people who are practicing all the time for NARs, which btw is not beaten very often even though these people compete in the event a lot. I really don't think 46.08 average and 39.00 is a cheap record.

Oh yeah, and South America has a sub-30 single a (35?) mean. Europe has 31 single and 38 mean. And Asia has WR single and average.

EDIT: That also is not a very encouraging post to all of the record holders who practice hours a day (sub-1 records).

Last edited: