• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Relatively new cuber here

bamman1108

I just discovered this site a little bit ago and just recently decided to sign up.

I first started cubing about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm at about sub-1 averages. My PB is 50.52 seconds so far, and I'm currently working on memorizing PLLs, but it's just so hard to recognize them :mad:

I first learned to solve the cube using the Dan Brown Method, but it took over 3 minutes, so I look for how to get better and discovered badmephisto's youtube channel, and it instantly reduced my times by half.

So I only have two cubes: A storebought 3x3x3 that's great except for locking up and an inability to cut corners, and an Eastsheen 2x2x2 I got today, and am slightly disappointed in.

I use the Fridrich method for both cubes. (I figured out how it works and successfully applied it to the 2x2x2).

bichettereds

My story is almost exactly the same. I started cubing about a month ago. Learned how to solve it using Dan Brown's video. Decided I wanted to learn how to do it fast and learned the Fridrich method from badmanphisto's videos. Im currently using the 2-Look OLL & PLLs, and my F2L is still slow.

I found this site a week ago and its the first site I check when I get online now.

I started with a store-bought cube but it only took a week before I bought a DIY cube (a). I should be getting a type E (stickers) from 9spuzzles,a black type D and an old A core from C4U soon.

minsarker

Wo what is the question here? I also started cubing about a month ago, im like sub 80 avg atm, with a pb of 58

What I dont get is why you made this post...it has no point except to state your status, sorry for being rude...

bamman1108

Lolz. If you don't know me, you don't know how good/bad I am, and if you don't know how good/bad I am, where else would I post?

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thats not bad work for a couple of weeks progress!

if you're learning PLLs now, i'd suggest to learn...

both Us, both As, H, T and Y first,

- T and Y are easy to learn, especially if you realise that they are both two OLLs, in different orders - F R U' R' U' R U R' F', and RUR'U' R'FRF'. youll notice that if you put the latter before the former, you get a cancellation of that last (or first) F move, and then both the Rs get added together to make R2. - you get (R U R' U') R' F R2 (U' R' U' R U R' F'). and thats the T perm. the Y perm is in the order in which i wrote them previously.

then i'd suggest learning the Z perm, then the Js, then V and F (badmephisto's algs are very alike (just add an extra U)), then the E perm, the Ns (with conjugated Js - add an R U R' U before the alg, then undo it to see what i mean - work out the other one :) ), and then finally learn the Gs - these are far simpler than they look, and once you know how to recognise them they are very, very easy to learn.

i know you didnt ask for that, but you got it!

also, work on looking ahead when solving the f2l (that means tracking more pieces while you are solving another pair), and practice solving the cross in 7 or 8 moves, and then being able to plan it out and memorise the moves, and solve the cross blindfolded.

have fun, and welcome! :)

EDIT - oops, forgot the Rs! these are okay to learn, learn them after the Js.

for the R' algorithm, i use fanwuqs, and i believe it to be the fastest around...

- perform this alg to learn it, and to see where to perform it -

R U R' F' R U2 R' U2 R' F R U R U2 R' U

it starts like a J, does something with that block a bit like the other R, and then uses cancellations into a sune, and then finally AUF (adjustment of U face)!

hope this all helps, and i recommend most of badmephistos algs, apart from the Ns, and that R.

Last edited:

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wo what is the question here? I also started cubing about a month ago, im like sub 80 avg atm, with a pb of 58

What I dont get is why you made this post...it has no point except to state your status, sorry for being rude...

why the hate? this is the member introductions section.

I use badmephisto's site for PLLs, keep practicing and they become easier to recognise. I also find it helps to time the different parts of the solve separately, like do averages with the cross, rest of F2L, and last layer

bamman1108

Oh, forgot to mention that I have the "classic" Pochmann (sorry if I spelled your name wrong) method down [except for memorization], so I know the J perms, T perm, Y perm, R perm, and the H and Z perms, plus Both corner rotations and edge rotations (forgot the names).

Thanks for the help Escher!

minsarker

Oh, my sincere apologies

Somehow i jumped from the beginner's central to the intro section with out knowing, I am so sorry

welcome, and by the way it is great progress for 3 weeks, much better than me