• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Poll] Average age in this forum?

How old are you?

• Total voters

Flowkap

As I started cubing super late (age 35) and I'm aware that the cubing community is rather young, ai guess that in the forum, as well as unser maintainers of Tools / WCA officials etc must be quite many "aged" cubers.

Also I wonder how different ages approach the learning process. I tend to learn new things like Algorithms quite early without too much practice. I guess that's not uncommon when practising time is very limited, but learning is feeling comfortable due to being used to. Maybe I'm totally wrong with this 😅

In the comments you might also share when Our started cubing.

One important note though: Age doesn't matter in terms of doing fun stuff together.

CubeExplorer

the cubing community is rather young
Is it? You are rather young, Im about twice of your age.

The approaches of different persons are different. Personally I m not interested in speed. Playing around, fun and understanding of geometry and the math theory matter. This has been the same in my younger times. Learning strategies are still the same, but I know myself and what works for me well better now.

unirox13

I learned to solve a 3x3 around the summer of 2006 at about 18 years old. A rained out trip to the beach resulted in me buying a 3x3 with a book guide from the local book store. For a few years solving was mostly a party trick. However in 2010 I discovered speedsolving and got a lot more serious about the puzzle. Speed was my initial goal and main focus for about two years. However, as I got older I started to discover just how many incredible and unique twisty puzzles there were in the world. It amazed me that so many of these geometric masterpieces had been created, all based on the initial idea of a simple cube. Since around I'd say 2017 or so, collecting and learning have been my main focus. I'm almost 33 years old now and I still love how amazing the twisty puzzle world is. The complex geometry yet simple concept of some of the puzzles in this world is just incredible and fun for me.

I currently have a growing collection of over 80 puzzles, almost all of which I can pick up and solve without any problem. I have a cheat sheet for a few of them, just explaining the order of solving or with a parity alg or two. I guess solving and collecting unique puzzles is my main focus now. It's a great hobby and an excellent way to keep my mind awake. Even something as simple as picking up an upper level cube and figuring out a new way of solving it is almost always on my mind.

Kevin1958

I started in May 2019 aged 61.

I became pretty obsessed with it and I still am. My current PB is just over 17 seconds and my average is 31.47.

I would imagine I am one of the oldest members of this forum and sadly I think sub 10 is beyond me although sub 15 may be possible.

I only do 3x3 and use 2 look CFOP.

Cheers.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I started in 2010/2011 learning from YouTube with a Rubik's brand. I never got into the community much and averaged about a minute then. I stopped cubing in about 2012 and restarted around 2018. Since then I average about 30 seconds and I have gotten much more into puzzle collecting.

I suppose I should update my member introduction https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/hello.74716/

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
I started cubing the week before my birthday in mid-February when I was 14. I am now 15

The average age of cubers can vary greatly depending on where you're at, in general I would guess the average age is 12-14 but on the forums it's most likely higher. It's actually a difficult question to answer because there are a lot of members from years ago who no longer use the forums/cube so would you still count them?

I'm 15, to be 16 in 7 months. I was always fascinated by puzzles in general. Used some(mostly) intuition and TC's great tutorial to solve my first cube in May 2020 and it's been one hell of a journey since then.
You're still more 15 than 16 so why point that out?

Last edited:

Manxkiwi

56! Started cubing when the craze hit the UK around 1980? Dropped out for a number of years, got back into it in 2015.
I'm loving it again and don't think I'll stop now, even though I don't practice nearly as much as some on here, I normally do at least some solves each day. Trying to get sub 30 Ave.

I'm 44, Started cubing in 2018. There's a very active Facebook group called senior cubers worldwide if you didn't already know about it..
My favourite events that I practise the most are 3x3 blindfolded and multiblind.