• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Picking a title for a self introduction is so stressful so I'm not going to do it

Lady Pitch

Hello!

In most gaming circles I go by Pitch or LP. I just picked up cubing two weeks ago today actually. Between a full time job, three classes of school, planning for my wedding and working out I have managed to squeeze in cubing.

I am 34 years old and I seriously wish I would have started this when I was a kid. I absolutely love it.

I am currently solving the 3x3 on a Dayan GuHong with a 3 of 5 time of 1:07 and a 10 of 12 time of 1:12. I currently use the CFOP method using a 2-look OLL and a 2-look PLL.
I am learning the algorithms now to get to one look for both PLL and OLL.

I purchased the Weilong because I wanted to see what the fuss was about but I am not coordinated enough to handle it right now. Actually I am hardly coordinated enough to handle my GuHong but she is my first speed cube and so I have an affinity for her. :D

When I am not cubing I play Diablo III hardcore or FFXIV. I am waiting for Mario Kart 8 to come out at the end of this month and if Dance Central would hit the Xbox One it would be my perfect year. LOL.

I am an artist and I like to draw, watercolor, do photography, crochet and knit (I am trying to speed knit as well... that isn't going as well LOL).

I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
Welcome!

I am currently solving the 3x3 on a Dayan GuHong with a 3 of 5 time of 1:07 and a 10 of 12 time of 1:12. I currently use the CFOP method using a 2-look OLL and a 2-look PLL.
I am learning the algorithms now to get to one look for both PLL and OLL.

No no no no no. Don't start one-look PLL unless you are at least like sub-40.

Lady Pitch

Welcome!

No no no no no. Don't start one-look PLL unless you are at least like sub-40.

Hehehe. I am still practicing my actual finger tricks. I am learning the PLLs but not implementing them yet. They are very confusing for me right now. I am still trying to get my current method under a minute, but thanks for the severe concern. ;)

Also, PLL is a much higher priority over OLL, so get all those first, then worry about OLL. (at least that's what I've heard...)

Yeah that is what a lot of people have been telling me as well. I am focusing on PLL first. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Pitch

no, start one look PLL whenever you want. I knew full PLL when I averaged 50.

The kid I practice with laughs at me because I start learning the next thing before I have "mastered" the last. I moved from beginner's method to CFOP so quickly I have a hard time remembering beginner's. LOL

I like learning multiple concepts at once. So while I am learning my finger tricks with the 2-look method I made PLL and OLL flashcards to start moving into one look PLLs. :)

I have a lot of catching up to do... I haven't been cubing since I was TWELVE. LOL

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
The kid I practice with laughs at me because I start learning the next thing before I have "mastered" the last. I moved from beginner's method to CFOP so quickly I have a hard time remembering beginner's. LOL

I like learning multiple concepts at once. So while I am learning my finger tricks with the 2-look method I made PLL and OLL flashcards to start moving into one look PLLs. :)

I have a lot of catching up to do... I haven't been cubing since I was TWELVE. LOL

Flashcards are great, BUT when you are doing algorithms, don't just memorize the move sequence. Instead, watch what is happening to the cube with each algorithm. Especially how corner edge pairs from the F2L are moved around the top layer during the algs. It will help you understand the alg better and also you will realize if you mess up better.

The end goal is to be performing the alg with just muscle memory. I can't list the majority of my CMLL Algs as moves anymore, they are just automatic.

Lady Pitch

On a side note I am trying to learn color neutrality as well. Because I was thinking about how silly it was, for me, to always be looking for white pieces when I could easily solve for another color just as well.

Then I learned that is an actual thing. Heh.

Fawn

Get a load of this dweeb. jk, welcome to the forum!

I keep promising my friend I'll get diablo III, but nope. no dice.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Goody, another girl cuber! I'm about the same age as you. Congrats on upcoming wedding... when's your big day? I think you're the second person I remember referring to the cube as "she" instead of "it". Speaking of which, I don't recall anyone calling the cube "he". Hope you stay active on the forums. If you like learning new concepts at the same time I suggest you try your brain on block building... learn Roux. It's interesting and different. Anyway, welcome!

Lady Pitch

Flashcards are great, BUT when you are doing algorithms, don't just memorize the move sequence. Instead, watch what is happening to the cube with each algorithm. Especially how corner edge pairs from the F2L are moved around the top layer during the algs. It will help you understand the alg better and also you will realize if you mess up better.

The end goal is to be performing the alg with just muscle memory. I can't list the majority of my CMLL Algs as moves anymore, they are just automatic.

Yeah my flash cards are so I can learn the moves real time. I just need to be able to carry them with me and without other algorithms in front of me to mess me up.
I start with a solved cube and do them backwards... then forward... then backwards... and I look at the cube from all angles to understand what is moving and what it looks like at each stage.

I will not just be spitting out turn sequences.... oh lordy no... that sounds painful LOL.

Goody, another girl cuber! I'm about the same age as you. Congrats on upcoming wedding... when's your big day? I think you're the second person I remember referring to the cube as "she" instead of "it". Speaking of which, I don't recall anyone calling the cube "he". Hope you stay active on the forums. If you like learning new concepts at the same time I suggest you try your brain on block building... learn Roux. It's interesting and different. Anyway, welcome!

:D!! HI!! A female cuber around my age!! It is amazing. I felt so alone. LOL. We are getting married Sept. 15th. Yeah I actually assigned genders to all my cubes... and maybe named them... *uncomfortable silence and fidgets*... soooo... yeah...

I hope I stay active here too I am really excited to get to know some people who won't judge me for wanting to cube for 5 hours a day.

Block building huh? I will look into Roux.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
Welcome! I don't think any of us will judge you for wanting to cube 5 hours a day. More like some of us will be jealous of you if you actually get to cube that much. There is soo much information here that you will have much to explore and see what fits for you. Check out many of the sticky threads including the "how to choose a method" and the wiki. Also you may want to read over the forum rules, new threads are generally not appropriate unless you have something new to discuss. Any small or short answer question can be handled in the "One answer question thread." Enjoy your time here and watching your times go down!