• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Other 5x5x5 options

pajodaep

you'll get used to eastsheen eventually. look at erik's video at youtube. he can solve the eastsheen 5x5 as easily as he solves the olympic 5x5.

mrCage

you'll get used to eastsheen eventually. look at erik's video at youtube. he can solve the eastsheen 5x5 as easily as he solves the olympic 5x5.

Well, i guess i should warn about ES 5x5x5. If i turn the 2 topmost together as a block 45 degrees, then the topmost single layer 45 degrees again - the topmost layer edges are already almost falling out. IMHO the ES 5x5x5 is not a good design at all. Popping like crazy and/or excessive locking.

Of course this could be due to the combination of my excessive inner layer turning and a bad specimen. But GOD i hate ES 5x5x5. I get better times with a stiff rubiks ...

I guess we need all these different versions due their varying inherent properties. Choice of cubes is always welcome. Im quite sure the new OC/VCube would fit me perfectly from what i've heard :rolleyes:

- Per

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
pajo... Matyas uses a rubiks, and Erik can get similar times as well. Also Ookusa and Frank use rubiks, until Frank got OCs. SOOO, 3 out of the top 5 in the world are rubik's users (Stupid Michael Gottlieb :)).

pajodaep

hmm... i agree. although, i like the consistency and smooth turns of the rubiks, but i also like the size and the recognition with the eastsheen because it's small and it's easy to look for the pieces. are there any fast 5x5 cubers who use the eastsheen??

MiloD

my "retooled" rubik's is getting too loose :( :( i want to cry....it was always on the loose side and I loved it, but after a few + center pops its getting really bad. I might have to steal my brother's.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, i guess i should warn about ES 5x5x5. If i turn the 2 topmost together as a block 45 degrees, then the topmost single layer 45 degrees again - the topmost layer edges are already almost falling out. IMHO the ES 5x5x5 is not a good design at all. Popping like crazy and/or excessive locking.

Of course this could be due to the combination of my excessive inner layer turning and a bad specimen. But GOD i hate ES 5x5x5. I get better times with a stiff rubiks ...

Sounds like a pretty worn-in Eastsheen. Brand new ones are awesome and don't have this problem. :)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A bit off topic but, WOW, I lubricated my 5x5x5 today, and am almost sub7 already. I aim for sub5 by the end of the week (next week).

rubik_fr

I've bought a 5x5x5 rubik studio new mold in belgian open one month ago.
Played with it and lubbed with white sering from rubiks.com DIY kit.
After only one week, dismantle, clean and lub with good silicon and it turns incredibly well :eek: BUT, maybe now too much loose, it's a question of habbit to play with, the points are very often twisting in their place but can very easily go back place with a slight press. A cross has popped one time in the hands of a friend because he discovered it, but never with me.
I though my 4x4x4 was very very loose but it's no comparison with my 5x5x5 now. I'm competing 5x5x5 only since benelux open but i've broken my PB with my first sub5 2 days ago whereas I was only 6'30" one month ago.
This cube is very smooth in hands, but no resistance at all, may not fit anyone :( It can accept misaligment very well, no block at all comparing with the eastsheen, but one more time, it's a question of habit.
The other solution is now the VCUBE available in june for cuber friends of olympicube list !!!!;);). I had the chance to test erick's one in benelux open and it's a very good one, not too loose, enough smooth, seems perfect in my opinion , but need 3 months to wait for it, at least :eek:

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel