• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Latest 3x3 drill: AUF recognition for PLL. I already know some of these but there are far more that I don't and fractions of a second matter now. I also need to nail down two sided PLL recognition once and for all to save time and neck-craning beforehand but I'm finding the final AUF recognition to be easier to develop, so one thing at a time.

Tom Joad

Latest 3x3 drill: AUF recognition for PLL. I already know some of these but there are far more that I don't and fractions of a second matter now. I also need to nail down two sided PLL recognition once and for all to save time and neck-craning beforehand but I'm finding the final AUF recognition to be easier to develop, so one thing at a time.

If you have any thoughts or questions on either of these two concepts, throw them up here and I’ll chip in with my thoughts.

I’m a middle aged cuber who averages 16 secs on a good day. I’ve put a lot of time into the two things you mention but I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered either of them.

Anyway, good luck!

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
This is something I've been actively trying to pay attention to. Predicting the AUF after PLL... I don't have full 2-sided recognition down yet either. Of the 2 I think the AUF is easier which is why I've spent more time doing it, as you have :)

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Finally started added some basic edge flip comms into my 3 BLD tool kit. A very simple one that flips UF and BF pieces in place, but you can set up any two edge pieces into those positions then flip them then UN-setup those pieces to their solved position. I know it’s basic stuff and I’ve been aware of this trick for awhile, but NOW I’m finally ready to play with it and experiment. I’ve already figured out how to apply this to only a single edge... which is SUPER convenient when the flipped edge is DB. Much easier than doing the special case alg to flip that piece.

I don’t expect this to save me a TON of time, but it all adds up...

Edit to add:
Did some edge only solves today and incorporated this edge flip alg a few times and each was successful.

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
If you have any thoughts or questions on either of these two concepts, throw them up here and I’ll chip in with my thoughts.

I’m a middle aged cuber who averages 16 secs on a good day. I’ve put a lot of time into the two things you mention but I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered either of them.

Anyway, good luck!
This is something I've been actively trying to pay attention to. Predicting the AUF after PLL... I don't have full 2-sided recognition down yet either. Of the 2 I think the AUF is easier which is why I've spent more time doing it, as you have :)

I feel really silly that I haven't done this before now because it's far easier than I thought it would be. I have the majority down after just two days and should be fully comfortable with it in week or two at this rate.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
I feel really silly that I haven't done this before now because it's far easier than I thought it would be. I have the majority down after just two days and should be fully comfortable with it in week or two at this rate.

How much do you think you're saving in terms of average? like 0.5s? How do you practice?

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
How much do you think you're saving in terms of average? like 0.5s? How do you practice?

Hard to say, some-- like EPLLs-- I was already paying attention to because they're easy, other times I spot things and AUF pretty quickly. But I know it can save me up to maybe .4 - .5 on some solves, how much that'll pay off on averages I dunno.

I'm currently mostly doing untimed solves again. On final AUF I'm just figuring out the ones I don't know as they show up, tonight was a lot of doing PLL + final AUF without looking once set up.

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I put a LOT of time into 3BLD practice yesterday, which was fun. Several edge only solves and corner only solves to really practice memo speed—yet without a timer. And then successfully incorporated the edge flip alg AND the UB/UR swap for odd targets. Again, nothing spectacular, but I could really feel my execution being more fluid yesterday with fewer pauses and more confidence. So, I’ll call that a good practice day.

I did a few 4x4 solves yesterday too. I haven’t done many timed solves since the 1:00 qualifying time was set for US Nationals—it’s too far out of my reach right now—instead I decided to focus on 3BLD since I’m much closer (and capable) to meet that qualifying time. However, yesterday I did take some time to do 4x4 and ended up getting THREE sub-1 times and two were in the same ao5! Needless to say I was pretty stoked about that one. I think the 6x6 and 7x7 recent practice has helped somehow.... Anyway, I’m not going to stop my 3BLD focus, but it was a great to get a good 4x4 run yesterday.

Sergey

Finally got my first subtle sub1 on 4x4...almost did not believe it would ever happen. Without parities. MoYu AoSu GTS2M.
1. 59.20 R' u2 U2 B u2 r' L2 B r f2 r' R2 B' u' F' D B' U L2 B L2 B' L2 r2 u f2 F D L2 R F B' r B2 U2 r B' R D' L2

Sergey

And today the next single PB on 3x3 - 12.99. I think it is a nice gift for the celebration of my first year of speedcubing. As for now:

(s/5/12/50/100/1000)
3x3: 12.99/17.45/19.03/20.15/20.40/21.91
4x4: 59.20/1:14.14/1:18.04/1:22.56/1:25.42/1:29.76
5x5: 2:02.98/2:48.20/2:54.34/3:01.28/3:04.25/NY

(s/mo3, sporadic timed solves)
6x6: 5:09.13/5:26.79
7x7: 8:09.05/NY

...and one official comps in the baggage.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
When the inefficiency may become luck. ;)

Next 3x3 single PB 12.86:

L2 D L2 F2 D B2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 B R' F' U' R B2 U2 F U2 F'

// as executed
z2 y // inspection
D L R' F D // cross
U L' U' L // 1st pair
y U R' U2 R U' R' U R // 2nd pair
U U2 R U R' L' U L // 3rd pair
U y' U R' U R U2 R' U R // 4th pair, OLL and PLL skip
Full last layer skip? What are the odds of that!? I’d have been stunned and probably take another second just to make sure I didn’t miss something. Lol

Well done!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Full last layer skip? What are the odds of that!?

OLL Skip: 1/216
PLL Skip: 1/72
LL Skip: 216x72: 1/15,552

I've had exactly one LL skip so far and that was way back when I was playing with ZZ (or really EO CFOP) and thus was improving my odds a tiny bit.

[Edit: and by "a tiny bit" I mean an 8x better chance. EO up front leads to a 1/27 chance of OLL skip and 1/1,944 chance of a full LL skip]

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
When the inefficiency may become luck. ;)

Next 3x3 single PB 12.86:

L2 D L2 F2 D B2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 B R' F' U' R B2 U2 F U2 F'

// as executed
z2 y // inspection
D L R' F D // cross
U L' U' L // 1st pair
y U R' U2 R U' R' U R // 2nd pair
U U2 R U R' L' U L // 3rd pair
U y' U R' U R U2 R' U R // 4th pair, OLL and PLL skip

No AUF either, I think the odds on that with LL skip are 1/62,208 :eek:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Just a fascinating solve, BTW. That 3rd pair... I wouldn't have even mentally registered that option, I'd likely have gone R U R' U2 L' U' L. Also, I'm sure I'd have noted the two blue edges going into the 3rd pair and thus wouldn't have done a rotation for the last pair. Any variance and the pot o' luck vanishes.