• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This isn't about anyone saying anything, but the way they scramble cubes is just ridiculous. They get so wristy with it it ends up popping.
Yeah, sometimes they try to twist all faces at once. I mean, I understood how it worked before I hade one, it can't be that complicated, right? Do they think we shuffle the stickers like a deck of cards?

DRAGON_RYU

and when they say they solved 5 sides........
I thought everyone knew 5solved sides=6!!!
I mean thats how I tried to solve it!!!

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Yeah, sometimes they try to twist all faces at once. I mean, I understood how it worked before I hade one, it can't be that complicated, right? Do they think we shuffle the stickers like a deck of cards?

That's because they see you do it fast so they try to copy.

This thread stopped being original ages ago. IMO it should be closed, same stuff repeated.

Blippop

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have one that may not have been mentioned thus far.

I was cubing in mcdonalds, a guy came over to me upon noticing. Evidently he also noticed my university top and invited me to join his club.
His club was a troupe of circus performers.

If people understood a little more about cubing then perhaps cubers wouldn't get treated like something absurd.

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread stopped being original ages ago. IMO it should be closed, same stuff repeated.
You don't have to read it if it doesn't suit you. I'm not trying to sound rude, but I think that quite fun stories pops up every now and then, and this is the best way to keep them in one place. Sure, if I read through all 300 pages I might find a similar or identical story, but I wont do that unless I'm very bored.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with BOS. It's a thread where you can have a few laughs. Sure, the same things pop up frequently, but everybody is different and will react differently to a given situation. There's no harm in leaving it open IMO.

But then again, a lot of long running "fun" threads were closed last year. Nothing against the mods shutting this one down if enough people complain. I'm still pretty amazed that my competition thread has been allowed to stay open for as long as it has. I can imagine that it's a thorn in many peoples eyes.

Last edited:

Ander0072

In The Limitless Creation Within My Imagination
YouTube
Visit Channel
They usually find it amazing around here, and most often they say stuff like "OMG how is that even possible?! Your hands are moving so fast!"
Or the usual
"I could do that too" *takes cube and randomly moves sides or takes cube and spends whole class period trying, but doesn't finish* Or they take it for a moment and say they did it :p

A kind thing I do is give them a pattern
(like when it's a checker pattern, since that's easier for a mind not familiar with the cube to grasp than the, "just different centers" pattern)
and have them try and solve it, it's so funny, and sorta nice to see how happy they get just when they undo that; one girl after undo-ing the pattern even screamed and class was about to start xD

Last edited:

sprout

i hear people say 1.Does lubricant make your cube softer?
2.The most i can do is four sides

Cubeimpact

Friend: Wow is there lk a cheat code of some sort?
Me: It's called algorithms.
Friend: No! it's a cheat code. Like a sequence if some sort.
@#$k...

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Friend: Wow is there lk a cheat code of some sort?
Me: It's called algorithms.
Friend: No! it's a cheat code. Like a sequence if some sort.
@#$k...
LOL,happens all the time.I try to explain they are simple sequences of moves which you use to solve cases but for them it's just cheats or codes of some sort. :mad:Whenever they say that,just remind tham that you solve the first two layers intuitively.;)

Last edited:

Ander0072

In The Limitless Creation Within My Imagination
YouTube
Visit Channel
Or you ask them if they could find the area of a circle in terms of pi without using the formula for it.
Someone not willing to understand a cube wouldn't care much for a circle & a square.
Also,
It's surprising how even though without cubing one probably would know the word "intuition" when i say one can do it intuitively they get a completely blank look on their face like:
-What'd you just say?-

ZhanChiboy

Back in Elementary:

Girl: "Justin Bieber is faster than you!!! You cannot beat him!"
LATER:
What now im sub-30! WOO.

LATER IN HIGHSCHOOL:
*3x3x3 pops 5 pieces.*

Girl: "How do you if its right?"

yoyokidify

candy mountain, it's a land of sweets and joy, and
YouTube
Visit Channel
Its hard to explain the difference of a Rubiks and a Dayan to a non-cuber.

My best friend asked me about my colored lunhui . He thought it was cheap and nasty fake because it didn't have stickers and it wrote dayan on it's logo. It took me ages for me to explain to him that dayan cubes are better(way better) than rubik's brands. And yet, he still thinks that i'm too cheap to buy rubik's brand cubes because they are pricier...