• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

No-shows

kubesolver

Premium Member
I wanted to start a discussion on the topic of no-shows. Especially in the times of COVID there is very little supply of competition spots compared to demand. Yet, some people register and not show on the competition without cancelling. Right now the penalty for that is just the forfeiture of the entry-free.

I think it would be really nice if people cancel if they know they won't come (even as late as the day before the competition likely would be enough for someone from a waiting list to jump in).

Maybe there should be more strict penalizing of this behavior. I suggest that unjustified no-shows should be e.g. forced into waiting list for the next competition they register.

it is worth suggesting this kind of policy to competitions organizers?
Should it be resolved at the WCA Level or rather at the local level only?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I personally don’t think that there should be a penalty. If somebody gets sick the morning of the competition, I don’t think that they should be punished for that, and it seems to me like the morning of the competition is too late to get somebody new. I think that the current system is fine.

kubesolver

Premium Member
Being sick is Ok. Actually I wouldn't want to punish anyone who excuses himself last minute.

I want to avoid situations where someone who knows already they won't come week or even day in advance don't let people from waiting list in because they've got no incentives to do so

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Being sick is Ok. Actually I wouldn't want to punish anyone who excuses himself last minute.

I want to avoid situations where someone who knows already they won't come week or even day in advance don't let people from waiting list in because they've got no incentives to do so
I guess that I’m not sure how often that that happens. If it doesn’t happen very often, I don’t think that it would be worth it to implement a rule. If it does happen often, then it might be worth considering. I don’t think that the forced-onto-waiting-list penalty is the right way to do it, though. I’m honestly not sure how it should be handled, assuming it happens often.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

A good way to partially remedy this is by offering refunds up through a certain date (e.g. whichever date you think it would be possible to get someone from the waitlist to fill in the spot). Many comps already do this and it certainly doesn't eliminate the problem completely, but I think it's a good incentive for people to be vocal about their planned absence.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the organisers can resolve such kind of issue. No need of having a WCA reg to punish the no-show from any competitor.

Maybe a WCA guideline directed towards the organisers handling this situation will be a good guideline to insert.