• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(New) Type a II sucks?

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So after reading the cube reviews on Pentrixter's thread, I decided the new a II looked good for me. Long story short, I bought it, assembled it, hate it. I don't get how you get this cube to not lock up, nevertheless pop. So whats the secret?

Thanks.

P

pappas

If you want you can sand own the tracks on te edges pieces. This helps reduce lock ups and therefore pops. I use the old a2 and it locks up a bit and pops often but I can turn really fast and do fast triggers with it. Most peole use the old a2. I like mine with the tracks not saded down though. Also you should lube it if you havent already.

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have both and I like the old one fine. It's the new one I'm talking about. I can't believe I didn't think of breaking it in. :fp. Also, I don't like to lube until I'm done with tensioning.

daniel0731ex

cut off the little notches on the legs of the edge piece. it's what causes the lockoffs.

btw, the poll hasen't ended yet, so we're still not sure abut the name :D

Swoncen

My Type A II is hopeless. It's by far my worst cube and nothing helped to make it better.. it's just crap.

daniel0731ex

the "new-" and "old-" prefixes kept on being ignored by other people; also, it'a the english abbrieviation of what C4U uses, and i think that they know what they're doing.

P.S. that was your 666th post :D

Last edited:

daniel0731ex

About the name: It's what everyone uses, so I use it.

I decided the new a II looked good for me.

If you want you can sand own the tracks on te edges pieces. This helps reduce lock ups and therefore pops. I use the old a2 and it locks up a bit and pops often but I can turn really fast and do fast triggers with it. Most peole use the old a2. I like mine with the tracks not saded down though. Also you should lube it if you havent already.
My Type A II is hopeless. It's by far my worst cube and nothing helped to make it better.. it's just crap.
It's the new one I'm talking about :fp.

my point exactly.

daniel0731ex

:eek:

I really like my AII. All I did was adjust the tension on it a bit (I got it 2 weeks ago) and lube it with jig-a-loo and now it's amazing.

i tried a guy's A2 out at CO and it was horrible :confused: perhaps i should get one myself?

rookie

new type a ii is only good when broken into a TON. it's got soft plastic so it shouldnt take that long...

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
btw. I bought two... One is AWESOME for OH (it's pretty loose so with 2H it pops alot) but the other one is for 2H and it still pops too much and it's slow and feels bad. It's not a great cube for 2H imo.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an A II, and I agree, it is rather crappy, pops and locks all the time and ive had it since october last year.

I wouldjust get another cube, I only have 2 other DIY's, a type C II (even worse than A II, explodes all the time and is stiff), and a type G (very very good, but is rather heavy for a 3x3 and it pops sometimes). But I am getting an a5 and a taiyan.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an A II, and I agree, it is rather crappy, pops and locks all the time and ive had it since october last year.

I wouldjust get another cube, I only have 2 other DIY's, a type C II (even worse than A II, explodes all the time and is stiff), and a type G (very very good, but is rather heavy for a 3x3 and it pops sometimes). But I am getting an a5 and a taiyan.
WHAaaa

CII's are epicly amazing.
especially the M slice.

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is actually one of my favourite cubes, it rarely pops (I guess my cube is set fairly tight since others seem to have a lot of pops), it doesn't really lock up and corner cutting is decent. I can see why some cubers might not like this cube, since it feels a bit weird because of the tracks and it's not really one of the fastest turning cubes I've tried, but imo it's easy to handle and I really like the lack of lock ups and simply I just get good times with it.