• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New to the Cube

nube

Started trying to solve the cube about a week ago. I can solve the first two layers easily without peeking at the instructions now. Beyond that I'm getting faster at reading the notation without making mistakes, so I feel like things are going pretty well.

Am learning the final steps on the Pyraminx also. Ordered a few better puzzles to replace my stock Rubik's and 1980's Pyraminx. (They are so stiff!!!)

Anyway, I'm a bit older but it's a great feeling to be able to solve the cube for the first time. Cheers.

youSurname

Welcome to the community! It's always great to hear beginners getting their heads around the once 'impossible' puzzle

nube

Thanks! Have been improving, can do it in around 3 minutes on my own now.

I think a beginner should go ahead and get a better cube than the stock Rubik's, it's much easier. :cool:

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! Have been improving, can do it in around 3 minutes on my own now.

I think a beginner should go ahead and get a better cube than the stock Rubik's, it's much easier. :cool:
To get sub-1 minute, a Rubik's brand speedcube is plenty (I can sub-30 with one). Just work on "quickly" inserting first layer corners and second layer edges (you don't need any sort of advanced method for the first two layers until sub-40 or sub-30 is a goal). Over time, once you really start improving, just learn some extra last layer algorithms occasionally. In my opinion, getting a quick last layer is hardest because it is purely algorithmic for the LBL (what you use) or CFOP (what I use) method. It's the only thing that's preventing me from getting sub-20.

Congratulations on learning to solve one, and I wish you the best of luck!

Reprobate

Given the relatively low cost cost of a good speedcube, I would ditch the Rubik's brand. I am not very fast, but I'm a lot faster with a Dayan Zhanchi than with my original Rubik's cube.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Given the relatively low cost cost of a good speedcube, I would ditch the Rubik's brand. I am not very fast, but I'm a lot faster with a Dayan Zhanchi than with my original Rubik's cube.

The problem with getting a good speedcube immediately is that you become sloppy with turning and you end up with very bad turning habits that will make getting fast times much harder. My first speedcube was a Dayan Zhanchi, but I actually switched to a Rubik's brand for a while to improve my very sloppy turning. It paid off very well. I now use a Moyu Aolong V2. Lockups are rare because using a Rubik's brand has helped me develop accuracy with turning. Do note that I used a Rubik's brand speecube. The original is unusable.

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem with getting a good speedcube immediately is that you become sloppy with turning and you end up with very bad turning habits that will make getting fast times much harder. My first speedcube was a Dayan Zhanchi, but I actually switched to a Rubik's brand for a while to improve my very sloppy turning. It paid off very well. I now use a Moyu Aolong V2. Lockups are rare because using a Rubik's brand has helped me develop accuracy with turning. Do note that I used a Rubik's brand speecube. The original is unusable.

False =) sorry m8 i can sub 20 an old model rubiks cube (mine is like 8 yrs old and has 10,000+ solves and lots of petroleum jelly)

nube

Some good advice. I had gotten a Sulong and Aolong v2 to replace the old (stickered) Rubik's - The Sulong is easier to control (doesn't flop aroud as much) so I'll use that for now. Thanks!

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
dont get a zhanchi, its a very unstable cube. I own 3 and i have yet to get one to cut 45 degree without popping so far they only go line to line (whcih all the videos claiming it cuts 45 also only go line to line) and if you hand it to anyone who doesnt speedsolve rubiks cubes it will be in pieces in seconds. My aolong v2 cuts line to line past 45 degrees and ive given it to my 1 1/2 year old cousin and after a total of about 45 mintues of using it (all day) he managed to only get a edge piece out once

MM99

Just no dude plz stop how are you gonna say the Rubik's brand will improve turning accuracy on other cubes? It just won't if anything it'll hinder your turning style and prevent you from doing the really crazy finger tricks we can do on modern cubes. Your turning accuracy gets better based on the time you've spent with that cube sure a lot translates from cube to cube but each one takes a little but to adjust to

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Welcome to the world of cubing ... again ... I'm assuming you're a cuber from the 80's. My old Rubiks cube that I got in 1981 is just not workable and is purely used for decoration. A better speedcube will make the world of difference. I started in January this year with a Shengshou which was quickly upgraded to a Moyu Weilong. I don't agree that a good cube when you're a beginner will make you sloppy, in fact I believe the opposite. It will help you to improve much quicker IMO.

Good luck with the progression.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just no dude plz stop how are you gonna say the Rubik's brand will improve turning accuracy on other cubes? It just won't if anything it'll hinder your turning style and prevent you from doing the really crazy finger tricks we can do on modern cubes. Your turning accuracy gets better based on the time you've spent with that cube sure a lot translates from cube to cube but each one takes a little but to adjust to
Here's where I'm coming from:
There are two big reasons I suggest using a Rubiks Speedcube as your first speedcube. The first is the stiffness. You can still fingertrick it (and after breaking it in, it's not bad at all), but the stiffness over other cubes increases finger strength, which comes in handy with OH solving. The other reason is because of the lesser corner cutting. The lack of crazy corner cutting forces you to learn VERY good accuracy white still going fast. Eventually, as you really break in the puzzle, speed corner cutting will improve. You still have strengthened hands and greater turning accuracy, so now what? The Rubiks brand is very easy to turn! You're ready for a very good speedcube now (I was able to go straight from the Rubiks to an Aolong with no problems).

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
There is absolutely no problem with using an Aolong or any other speedcube as your first cube. Though you might want to get a Guanlong if you are scared you might not continue cubing.

nube

The stiffer/crunchier cubes are better for me right now (Sulong/Yulong). Will try the Rubik's speedcube soon also.

The Aolong v2 is a little more usable after some adjustment, but I still don't like it very much.

So far I like the stickerless Yulong the best, but I'm going to get a black version and resticker it with non-fluorescent colors (along with the rest of my cubes). The stock Rubik's color scheme is easier on the eyes to me.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome! Nice to see more "older" folk around :)

The Yulong is great. I have 3 of them. All the latest YJ releases really are the perfect "beginner" cube. Guanlong, Chilong, Sulong, Yulong. Some people even main with these.

I can totally understand why you might not like the Aolong V2. It's not everyone's favorite. Personally, I love the V1, and don't care much for the V2. But regardless of everyone else's opinions on which cube would be best for you... no one opinion matters but yours. Try a bunch.

I will say that using obviously inferior cubes to "develop" your turning style is a bad idea. Rubik's brand cubes catch a lot and encourage "wrist" turning. It's far better if you can easily flick with your fingers without being afraid of it catching. Turning style and other habits naturally improve the more you practice regardless of the cube you use. So you might as well start off with a good one.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
dont get a zhanchi, its a very unstable cube. I own 3 and i have yet to get one to cut 45 degree without popping so far they only go line to line (whcih all the videos claiming it cuts 45 also only go line to line) and if you hand it to anyone who doesnt speedsolve rubiks cubes it will be in pieces in seconds. My aolong v2 cuts line to line past 45 degrees and ive given it to my 1 1/2 year old cousin and after a total of about 45 mintues of using it (all day) he managed to only get a edge piece out once

Tighten them :p

also welcome to the forums nube!