• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Cubing Innovation

TheCuberCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, am I the only one who thinks we need a "next big thing in cubing". Like I understand that we are getting some cool designs here and there but when are we going to get that thing that changes so much. I'm thinking like when magnets were introduced, or when the original Gan X magnet changing system was introduced like every it felt like most relevant cubes after that had something similar. I feel like we are making some cool changes but they are really small . I'm not complaining but honestly it feels like we haven't had a really cool new thing in a while. Just a thought lol.

TheCuberCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
*coughs*
A-Angstrom Clock... ?
Good point but I don't do clock lol.

What about all the new electronic cubes?
Yea, but I don't think they are that crazy innovative, we all so it coming in my opinion. I'm talking like when magnets were introduced.

Yea, but I don't think they are that crazy innovative, we all so it coming in my opinion. I'm talking like when magnets were introduced.
What about all the new electronic cubes?
Also, that really did not impact the competitive side of speedsolving

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m not sure what you expect that will revolutionize cubing. It’s hard to come up with meaningful changes now. So, why don’t you suggest something ? You’ll find it’s hard

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I definitely think we've hit a point of diminishing returns with cube technology. There have been so many improvements in the last 15 years that now you can get such good quality cubes for such a low price tag I'm not sure what big innovations are left. Even really big cubes turn well and are enjoyable to solve now! I'm sure the electronic cubes and all sorts of digital crap will come out over the next few years but those things won't move the sport forward, they will just be cash grabs and sound trendy...

I'd love to be proved wrong though!

I'm surprised there hasn't been a cube specific timer that's come out...I've found it sort of odd the cube communitybjust adopted the speedstacks timer and didn't come up with something more specific to cube competition needs

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I definitely think we've hit a point of diminishing returns with cube technology. There have been so many improvements in the last 15 years that now you can get such good quality cubes for such a low price tag I'm not sure what big innovations are left. Even really big cubes turn well and are enjoyable to solve now! I'm sure the electronic cubes and all sorts of digital crap will come out over the next few years but those things won't move the sport forward, they will just be cash grabs and sound trendy...

I'm surprised there hasn't been a cube specific timer that's come out...I've found it sort of odd the cube communitybjust adopted the speedstacks timer and didn't come up with something more specific to cube competition needs
It would be really cool to have timers that automatically calculate the mo3/ao5

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...

That’s unfortunately because of lawsuits. Speedstacks has a patent on their products, and they attack anyone who tries to make/sell different timers in the areas they have legal authority over (US/Canada). It happened to Speedcubeshop when they tried to sell Yuxin timers. I think the lawsuit expires in 2022 or something, so it’s possible relatively soon!