• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nautilus Example Solve Thread

voidrx

I main Nautilus, I'm the first user besides Athefre, the inventor, and I currently hold the Nautilus Unofficial World Record Single of 6.89 seconds (reconstruction here). I am the fastest Nautilus user, although that doesn't really say much because there are only like 2-3 users.
I'm starting this Nautilus Example Solve Thread to give Nautilus some more exposure.

R2 D2 B2 D F2 D' B2 L2 B2 F2 L' U' R' F R2 D L D2 F' D'

First Block (FB): y' F D' B U R' U2 F2

Nautilus Second Block (NSB): U M2 U' R U S' U' S

dFR Pair: U' R U2 R'

Nautilus Corners of the Last Layer (NCLL): R U2 R' U' R U R' U' R U' R'

Last 5 Edges (L5E): U' M' U M U M' U M U2 M' U' M

Next: L2 F L' U' F2 U2 R' U' D' R' U2 F2 R F2 R' U2 F2 L U2 F2 R2

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel

voidrx

FB: z2 y' R F2 R2 U M' U2 r' F B2 ----- absolutely abysmal
NSB: U2 R U r2 U' R' U R U' R' U' R U' R' U R
dFR Pair: U R U' R' U' R U2 R'
NCLL: F R U R' U' F'
L5E: U M' U' M' U' M U2 M' U' M2 U2

50 STM

Next: U' D' F' L D2 R' B' U' R2 U' L2 U' R2 F2 L2 B2 D' L F

Athefre

FB: z2 y' R F2 R2 U M' U2 r' F B2 ----- absolutely abysmal
NSB: U2 R U r2 U' R' U R U' R' U' R U' R' U R
dFR Pair: U R U' R' U' R U2 R'
NCLL: F R U R' U' F'
L5E: U M' U' M' U' M U2 M' U' M2 U2

50 STM

Next: U' D' F' L D2 R' B' U' R2 U' L2 U' R2 F2 L2 B2 D' L F

EOFE Variant:

FB: x' y' D F' R2 U' L F'
NSB: U2 R r U R2 U R2 U2 r
EOFE: r U R' U2 R U r'
Orient corners: R U' R' U R U2 R' U R U' R'
TTLL-: R U2 R' U R U R' D R' U2 R U' R' U' R D' U2

Next: U' F B' R U' L D' R2 D2 L B2 L D2 R2 F2 U2 F2 B L

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Thank you for the thread. How intuitive is Nautilus, compared to Roux and Petrus? I mean I like methods that make me feel I am actually solving the puzzle, i.e. deciding on what to do based on what I see, rather than almost automatic and mindless turning logarithmic turning (not meaning to trivialise any method).

Last edited:
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Thank you for the thread. How intuitive is Nautilus, compared to Roux and Petrus? I mean I like methods that make me feel I am actually solving the puzzle, i.e. deciding on what to do based on what I see, rather than almost automatic and mindless turning (not meaning to trivialise any method).
Well, I wouldn't call algorithmic based methods either of those words (Maybe the word your looking for is repetitive?) but from what I've seen it largely depends on which Variant you use. Something nice about Nautilus is that there are more variants then perhaps any other speedsolving method. This can allow you, if desired, to OS (option select) a different one depending on the solve. The first step, building the shell, is very intuitive. You starting with a 1x2x3 similar to Roux and the build, in whatever way, a 2x2x2 block in the back. From there you would extend it by inserting the last slot depending on your variant and then do the last layer which could include the DF edge. It can vary anywhere in between 7 to hundreds and beyond algs. For the main variation I would say it's sort of like Roux in terms of intuitiveness but it feels more structured.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Thank you very much, TheCubingCuber. I could not find the right words, which is why I put in my disclaimer, about the "algorithmic based" turns that you suggested. That's a nice term and I have just used it to correct what I wrote in my earlier post. Nautilus sounds great, and I am putting it in my list of methods to try. I have already tried the simplest Beginner versions of CFOP (LBL), and I am still trying Roux Beginner, and then it will be Petrux and Nautilus. I like it as it seems easy to mix and mingle a bit with steps from another method. Maybe it should be Nautilus first, since you said it starts with the same block building step, which I enjoy (even though that takes like 60% or more of my average solve time :(). I'm not rushing to speed up at this time, as I am still in the method exploration and selection stage and I am a slow learner. I will do that later and I will be happy if I could consistently solve under 1 minute. :D

Last edited:

voidrx

Thank you very much, TheCubingCuber. I could not find the right words, which is why I put in my disclaimer, about the "algorithmic based" turns that you suggested. That's a nice term and I have just used it to correct what I wrote in my earlier post. Nautilus sounds great, and I am putting it in my list of methods to try. I have already tried the simplest Beginner versions of CFOP (LBL), and I am still trying Roux Beginner, and then it will be Petrux and Nautilus. I like it as it seems easy to mix and mingle a bit with steps from another method. Maybe it should be Nautilus first, since you said it starts with the same block building step, which I enjoy (even though that takes like 60% or more of my average solve time :(). I'm not rushing to speed up at this time, as I am still in the method exploration and selection stage and I am a slow learner. I will do that later and I will be happy if I could consistently solve under 1 minute. :D
If you need any help, we have a Nautilus Discord server. Here is the link

tsmosher

Nautilus can start in any number of ways, but the typical start is Roux FB. So, getting better at your Roux FB will help with Nautilus.

I think of Nautilus as being all block building (until you have a Nautilus block) then all algorithmic (EODF, LS/LL). This gives you a lot of room for creativity up front, but IMHO, building a 2x2x2 without destroying your Roux FB can be a challenge.

x
D L F L' S D' S' D' // mixed dL (8)
R2 M U2 M' R' U R' U' B U' B' // mixed dbr (11/19)
U R U M' U' r' // EODF (6/25)
R U R' U R U R' // LS (7/32)
U f R2 S' U' R2 U' R2 U R2 F' // COLL (11/43)
y M2 U M U2 M U' // L6EP (7/50)

NEXT: L B2 U2 L' D2 L D2 B2 L' U2 D' B' D R2 D' F U' R2 U

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
NEXT: L B2 U2 L' D2 L D2 B2 L' U2 D' B' D R2 D' F U' R2 U
44 STM
x2 y' // Inspection
D F U' F' D' U M2 F' // FB
R f R' f' M2 U M2 U2 L F L' M' U2 M' // 2x2x2 & LS
M' U2 M U2 M' U' M // EODF
U' R U' R' U F' r U' r' F2 R' F R F' U2 // ZBLL
ACN

Next: F D2 L U' D F D2 R F' L F2 R' B2 R' U2 L B2 D2 L2 U2

YouTube
Visit Channel
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
x y' // Inspection
R B2 D F' M' R' F // FB [7/7]
U' r' U2 F R2 F' U2 R U2 r // NSB [10/17]
F U R U' R' F' R U' R' // LS [9/26]
(U) r' U r2 U' r2 U' r2 U r' // NCLL [10/36]
(U') M' U M U2 M' U M (U') // ELL [9/45]
45 STM

Not bad for my first serious example solve.

Next: R2 U B2 U' F2 L2 F2 L2 D2 F2 D F2 L' U' L F' U' B' U L' D

voidrx

x y' // Inspection
R B2 D F' M' R' F // FB [7/7]
U' r' U2 F R2 F' U2 R U2 r // NSB [10/17]
F U R U' R' F' R U' R' // LS [9/26]
(U) r' U r2 U' r2 U' r2 U r' // NCLL [10/36]
(U') M' U M U2 M' U M (U') // ELL [9/45]
45 STM

Not bad for my first serious example solve.

Next: R2 U B2 U' F2 L2 F2 L2 D2 F2 D F2 L' U' L F' U' B' U L' D
y // Inspection
M' B2 D2' U F r B' // FB
M' U2' r U' R U' M2' // NSB
U R U R' U' R U2' R' // LS
U' R' U2' R2 U R2' U R2 U2' R' // NCLL (Normally I would do F Double Sexy F' but I saw the Arrow EO case, so I did an alg that preserved EO.)
U2 M U2 M' U' M2 U' M U M U // L5E

43 STM

alg.cubing link: https://alg.cubing.net/?setup=R2_U_B2_U-_F2_L2_F2_L2_D2_F2_D_F2_L-_U-_L_F-_U-_B-_U_L-_D&alg=y_//_Inspection M-_B2_D2-_U_F_r_B-_//_FB M-_U2-_r_U-_R_U-_M2-_//_NSB U_R_U_R-_U-_R_U2-_R-_//_LS U-_R-_U2-_R2_U_R2-_U_R2_U2-_R-_//_NCLL_(Normally_I_would_do_F_Double_Sexy_F-_but_I_saw_the_Arrow_EO_case,_so_I_did_an_alg_that_preserved_EO.) U2_M_U2_M-_U-_M2_U-_M_U_M_U_//_L5E

Next: L2 U L' D2 F2 D2 R B2 U2 L U2 L2 B2 F' R B' F2 D' L2 R

YouTube
Visit Channel
Next: L2 U L' D2 F2 D2 R B2 U2 L U2 L2 B2 F' R B' F2 D' L2 R
using my EO idea:
L2 U L' D2 F2 D2 R B2 U2 L U2 L2 B2 F' R B' F2 D' L2 R

D' R' U2 B M' U2 M U2 F' // FB
R U r2 R U2 R' U2 S R S' //dBr
U M' U2 M S' U S //EODF
U R U' R' U2 R' U2 R2 U2 R //dfR
U2 R' U2 R' D' R U2 R' D r2 u M2 u' S' M2 S U2 //"ZBLL"
[view at CubeDB.net]( https://cubedb.net/?puzzle=3&scramb...-_D-_R_U2_R-_D_r2_u_M2_u-_S-_M2_S_U2_//"ZBLL" )

53 STM

Next: R' U2 B2 R' U2 L' U2 F2 R' D2 R D B' U R2 U' L R' B'

tsmosher

using my EO idea:
L2 U L' D2 F2 D2 R B2 U2 L U2 L2 B2 F' R B' F2 D' L2 R

D' R' U2 B M' U2 M U2 F' // FB
R U r2 R U2 R' U2 S R S' //dBr
U M' U2 M S' U S //EODF
U R U' R' U2 R' U2 R2 U2 R //dfR
U2 R' U2 R' D' R U2 R' D r2 u M2 u' S' M2 S U2 //"ZBLL"
[view at CubeDB.net]( https://cubedb.net/?puzzle=3&scramble=L2_U_L-_D2_F2_D2_R_B2_U2_L_U2_L2_B2_F-_R_B-_F2_D-_L2_R&alg=D-_R-_U2_B_M-_U2_M_U2_F-__//_FB R_U_r2_R_U2_R-_U2_S_R_S-_//dBr U_M-_U2_M_S-_U_S_//EODF U_R_U-_R-_U2_R-_U2_R2_U2_R_//dfR U2_R-_U2_R-_D-_R_U2_R-_D_r2_u_M2_u-_S-_M2_S_U2_//"ZBLL" )

53 STM

Next: R' U2 B2 R' U2 L' U2 F2 R' D2 R D B' U R2 U' L R' B'

U R B' u R u U2 R' E2 // FB (9)
R U2 R' U F' U' F R' // square (8/17)
U' R' F R F' U2 M2 // EODB (7/24)
r U2 r' U' R' U2 R2 U R2 U R // F2L (11/35)
L' U' L U' R U' L' U R' U2 L // COLL (11/46)
R2 U' S' U2 S U' R2 // EPLL (7/53)

NEXT: R2 U2 L2 B2 D2 R2 D' F2 R2 D B2 L2 R' B' F L D' L2 B2 F2 U'

Melvintnh327

U R B' u R u U2 R' E2 // FB (9)
R U2 R' U F' U' F R' // square (8/17)
U' R' F R F' U2 M2 // EODB (7/24)
r U2 r' U' R' U2 R2 U R2 U R // F2L (11/35)
L' U' L U' R U' L' U R' U2 L // COLL (11/46)
R2 U' S' U2 S U' R2 // EPLL (7/53)

NEXT: R2 U2 L2 B2 D2 R2 D' F2 R2 D B2 L2 R' B' F L D' L2 B2 F2 U'
R U2 F B' L2 // dL
L' B L U f' U f R U R' D' R U' R' D // dbr
R U R' U R U R' U2 F' U F // dFR
U F R U R' U' F' U // NCLL
M' U' M U' M' U2 M2 L F' L' U M' U2' M U S' L F L' S M' // Intuitive L5E (because the algorithm on the spreadsheet doesn't work)

Next: R' F2 U2 R' F2 D2 L2 D2 L2 U2 B2 R D' R2 F' R D2 L D' F2 D

just learnt Nautilus a few days ago.

Last edited:

Athefre

Thanks for pointing that out. There should be an AUF before the alg. So it's (U') M' U M2 U' M' U' M U2 M' U M U M'.

y2 x' U L' F2 D' B' M B'
U r' M U2 M' U' r
r U2 r' U r U' r'
U2 r U' r' U r' D' r U' r' D r
U M' U M U' M' U' M U'

Next: R2 U B2 F2 D L2 U B2 U2 L2 D' R2 B D F' U R U R D' L'

YouTube
Visit Channel