• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

my 2x2 method

skinnyandweak

well i think lots of people have already thought of this, but i just wanted to share and see what you guys think.

since i don't want to learn all guimond cases for the first step, i decided to do something else.

first, i would solve one face with oppisite colors. like 3 green and 1 blue, 2 red and 2 orange, and stuff like that. then, i would go on to the top layer and solve one of the 7 OLL cases, but they are not one color, but mixed with the 2 oppisite colors you started with. after that, i would do the guimond part where you make both faces the same colors, and same with the last part, permuting both layers.

so all i basicly did was just do the beginning kinda like fridich, and the rest like guimond. what do you guys think? is this good? bad? it's just temporary though =P

skinnyandweak

link not working =P

and yeah, it's not much different from guimond, and basically the same idea. only the first part where you get the the bottom and top to be oppisite colors is different. it's just easier for me, because i don't really have to learn anything but the permutation of last 2 layers. doesn't work too bad =P.

edit : and can someone help me with making short algs to solve the top? since it doesn't have to be all the same color, just oppisites. like for the triple sune (i think that's what it's called), with the cross and 2 pairs of corners pointing oppisite directions, i found out that R2 U2 R' would solve it. very fast. but i'm not a great cuber myself, so i can't think of other algs to solve the other cases faster. so if anyone can help, that'll be great.

Last edited:

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, but Tim, the Ortega 'cases' are just OLL that most people know. The issue with people learning ortega, would be learning the last PBL algorithms that both guimond and Ortega share. Also, guimond cases are somewhat "foreign" to people just starting to learn 2x2, IMHO.

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because you have mixed colours in the faces you do not have to preserve those = you can mix the opposite faces while solving the OLL. Ortega or 3x3x3 OLL's preserves faces and that makes the algs longer than they have to be. But there are shorter ones.

pi : F2 U F2 l' u2 l
H : F2 U2 F/F'
S : F2 U' F U' F/F'
-S: F2 U F' U F/F'
L : R U2 R' F' U' F/F'
T : F R U2 R' F/F'
U : F U2 F U2 F/F'

From my BCE tread, last turn F/F' can be done in any direction, that way you can start separation while doing the last turns of the OLL. "F" and not "R" because I'm solving F-side corners if the ones at BD are solved so the algs preserves DBR and DBL, transpose the algs to R if you prefer that. If you do not care about preserving DB, then it may be even shorter algs than these =)

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry but I don't like those algorithms at all Kenneth :p all those F moves????:S
If you want to learn ortega you'll have to learn 3 extra algorithms of which one is only 3 half turns. If you want to learn guimodn you have to learn about 15 new algorithms of an average of 4 turns, I've had to learn worse things than that ;)

skinnyandweak

can't all those F turns be translated into R turns? and i think the way i do it is pretty good for not learning anything but PBL algs. it's easy, and getting the first face usually takes about 2-3 moves. so i guess it's comparable to guimond. i never had to do more than 3 moves to get the first face. the only con is the OLL. but i still like it =P

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Think I wrote "transpose the algs to R if you prefer that."

It's easy, for:

H : F2 U2 F/F'

do this:

H : R2 U2 R/R'

But ok, here's all of them:

pi : R2 U R2 F' U2 F
H : R2 U2 R/R'
S : R2 U' R U' R/R'
-S: R2 U R' U R/R'
L : R U2 R' F' U' F/F'
T : F R U2 R' F/F'
U : R U2 R U2 R/R'

For T and L you have to stick with the originals, there are already both R and F in them.

Last edited:

skinnyandweak

okay i got it. those are some pretty good algs. except i can't get the T to work, i just end up with L :(. maybe something is wrong?

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
okay i got it. those are some pretty good algs. except i can't get the T to work, i just end up with L :(. maybe something is wrong?

Hmm. that's the alg I have written down, must be an error from start I think =)

Have not got the time to fix it right now.

But you can try to find one by yourself, it's not hard because of the shortness of the algos, just do some turns and see what's happening.