• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mirrored Inverse Sexy Method (MirIS)

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Hi BirdOfChaos, welcome to SpeedSolving community.

Glad you managed to get back into cubing with MirIS.

The '3 slots' step of MirIS is basically a restricted version of the F2L step in CFOP. If you use the technique to fill up 4 slots instead of 3 you are onto a normal CFOP last layer.

To progress from MirIS to CFOP I'd recommend doing the following:
1. Combining daisy and cross into a single step
2. Filling the 4th slot and learning learning 4-look last layer
3. Learning shorter sequences for inserting corner/edge pairs during F2L, start by looking for tutorials on intuitive F2L
4. Progressing onto 3-look and then 2-look last layer

Skip

First of all, thank you for developing this method and tutorial. It's easy to remember once you understand it.

After several hour of missteps, I finally got the algorithm to work! And I think I finally understand it. There were a few places where I had difficulty: In building the F2L, the tutorial says "Now hold the cube so that the edge is facing you." It think it would be better to have said "Now hold the cube with the vertical stripe facing you." I held the cube at 45 degrees and left and right of the edge were not clear.

A second point of confusion concerned building the yellow cross when the edge wasn't in the keyhole. In one case it was in the middle layer back right, ind doing IS did not budge it. I wound up moving the keyhole and things worked OK after that.

My final Ah-Ha was realizing during the solution of the five corners, that the two non-yellow corners needed to match the two center (and bottom tiles) on the faces that met at the corner. Not only that, but the tile was properly positioned when the tile matched the color of the tile to its left. When positioned correctly, a new bottom corner can be chosen: if the top tile has a yellow face, match the bottom corner to the tile and move it into place; if the tile on top has a white face, move an unsolved corner into place and do an IS to move it to the top. Then move the matching corner into place (if necessary).

Last edited:

Rumpu-Jussi

I just registered to these forums to say a big thanks to you for publishing this method!

Just last week, my daughter went through the stuff that ended up at our home some years ago when we emptied my late mother's apartment. She found two cubes in there, the other is a Rubik's brand, the other unlabelled, both from the 80s, I believe.

When I was in my early teens, in the early 80s, my brother and I got a cube as a present for Christmas. I remember how we got hints on moves from our schoolmates, who got them from who knows where... There was no 'net then, nor the moves had any names, at least not that we knew of. We just memorised the patterns: "If these edges are like this, then do this..." The method that we used is now known as the beginner LBL, I think.

While trying to find out a simple method, without the need to memorise umpteen moves, I first stumbled on the 8355-method on the SpeedSolving Wiki. However, the instructions for the last five corners were, IMO, a bit lacking. Then I found a better description of the method on cube.crider.co.uk, and a pointer to the MirIS -method.

Now I have the MirIS page saved as a PDF on my phone, so that where ever I go with the cube, I have the method at hand, provided I have my phone with me.

Next up, I'll probably teach my daughter the MirIS method, then I'll tackle Roux, or ZZ, they seem interesting.

Reactions: pjk