• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Men per woman in competition

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01

We've been successful with convincing people that it's easy to learn but the fear of failure (being slow) is really putting people off competing.

Just throwing this out there but you could always try discounts for two or more new competitors that sign up together. I'm not sure if this would even work, but things are always a little less scary if you're with a buddy.

It's free to attend meetups with Melbourne cubers and meetings for the RMIT Rubik's Cube Club.

Due to sponsorship it's been $10 for general competitors/$5 for RMIT students/Free for RUSU students to attend competitions in Melbourne. In Perth we just ran it at a loss for free to encourage people to come along. I'll be dropping the price down to $2 for general competitors/Free for RMIT and RUSU students at future competitions in Melbourne.

Mike Hughey and I actually have the same strategy! Marry one, impregnate her a few times, and then make everyone go to competitions.

Yeah, my gf can now solve one. :)

Tim.

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
We recently started holding meetings and only half the people in our "club" show to them. The general excuse is that "it is lame to spend 3 hours in meeting without girls", a mindset I agree with to some extent: social interaction is far more rewarding when people of both genders are involved and a fulfilling cubing experience is just not about technique.
If only we could get our gfs/wifes to show, but they think cubing is too silly a hobby (although they support us) to get involved with.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have taught WAY more girls than guys how to solve a cube. It is just a great way to pick up girls and spent time together.
But for most girls it was already enough to show others that they could solve it reasonably fast, so after reaching the 1 minute marker they stopped practising
For many guys I met the 60 second marker was also good enough, but for relative many others, it was "important" for them to beat me, so the 20 second marker was import for them.

(currently there are two girls that are REALLY determined to beat me and both are practising hard to get "sub-Arnaud". There motivation? They enjoy cubing and I promised them pizza if they would beat me. Since one of them is in Japan and the other in Belgium, it will be expensive pizza's)

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to revisit this topic.

My question is that, what is your guesstimate for a time where there will be equal proportion of male and female competitors in a major Rubik's speedcubing championship?
I also doubt this will ever happen. Don't know why, but I guess some hobbies just appeal more to guys then girls and vice versa.

UncleFrank

Looking at the Mega Survey that Reddit did last year, over 1500 responses, 88% responded as male and 10% female.
Looking at the WCA database export, there are over 160,000 registered competitors, over 143k or 89% listed as male and a little over 16k or 10% listed as female.