• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Meanings of Chinese Cubes

Rainbow Flash

Hi everyone,

Here is a list of the meanings of Chinese cubes.

-----

Moyu - 魔域 - 'Mo' can mean 'magic', and 'Mofang' is the Chinese name for Rubik's Cube, literally meaning 'Magic Cube.' 'Yu' means 'place' or 'region' or 'domain.' I'm not super sure about this character but perhaps 'Moyu' means 'magic place' or something. 'Mo' can also mean 'devil.' So another meaning of Moyu might be 'Devil's Kingdom,' AKA hell - not very probable.

Weilong, 3x3 - 威龙 - Weilong, the two characters together, is supposed to mean 'Veyron,' as in the Bugatti Veyron (which I think is supposed to be one of the fastest sports cars). The Weilong name might have a connection with the Bugatti Veyron. If you separate Weilong into 'wei' and 'long,' however, it will mean 'Power Dragon.' So Weilong might have two probable meanings: Veyron, or Power Dragon. The latter is more probable.

Sulong, 3x3 - 速龙 - This one is more straightforward. 'Su' means speed, and like I said above 'Long' means Dragon. So Sulong is the 'Speed Dragon.' (This makes it more likely that Weilong means Power Dragon.)

Aolong, 3x3 - 傲龙 - This one is simple too. 'Jiaoao' means proud. 'Ao' means proud when coupled with another character, so Aolong means 'Proud Dragon.'

Aoshi, 6x6 - 傲世 - 'Ao,' as we know, means 'proud,' and 'shi' means 'earth' or 'world.' So Aoshi means 'Proud World.'

QUOTE: "傲世(Aoshi)means 'proud' and 'the world' respectively, so maybe it means 'being proud in the world' or 'one stands on the top of the world, overseeing it with pride.'" - quote from RayLam

Dianma, 3x3 - 颠马 - This one, translated literally, will mean 'Jolt the Horse.' (Or 'Surprise the Horse' or whatever synonym you can find...)

Lingpo, 2x2 - 灵魄 - 'Ling,' as an adjective, means 'nimble,' or 'effective.' 'Po' means 'spirit' or 'courage.' So Lingpo means 'Nimble Spirit.'

Weisu, 4x4 - 威速 - These are the first characters from Weilong and Sulong. So Weisu means 'Power Speed.' (Or Powerful Speed or Speedy Power or whatever you like.)

Shensu, 4x4 - 神速 - 'Shen' means 'God.' 'Su,' as we saw previously, means 'speed.' So Shensu means 'God's Speed.' (OK not the word 'Godspeed' in the English way we use it, hehe...)

Aochuang, 5x5 - 傲创 - The character 'Ao' turns up a lot in Moyu cubes. Aochuag literally means 'Proud Creation.'

Aofu, 7x7 - 傲赋 - 'Fu' can mean 'bestow,' and we have 'ao' again. Aofu might mean 'Proud Possession' or something similar.

QUOTE: "...赋 ['Fu'] means 'talent.'" - quote from RayLam

Jinzita, pyraminx - 金字塔 - 'Jinzita' means 'pyramid.'

-----

Shengshou - 圣手 - 'Shengshou' means 'master,' or 'a highly skilled person.' 'Shou' also means 'hand.'

-----

Dayan - 大雁 - 'Dayan' means 'wild goose.' Simple enough, but I think it's a weird name for a cube.

Zhanchi - 展翅, 3x3 - I think this is the most interesting one. 'Zhanchi' means when a bird spreads open its wings. So the Dayan Zhanchi means the 'Wild Goose with Wings Spread.'

Guhong - 孤鸿, 3x3 - This is also very interesting. 'Gu' means orphan(ed). 'Hong' is another character that means 'wild goose.' So Guhong means the 'Wild Goose Orphan.'

QUOTE: "'孤鸿' is named from the idiom "断雁孤鸿", so you can't translate it directly into English. '断雁孤鸿' means 'a wild goose straying away,' and it actually usually means 'unmarried/celibate men' or 'being out of people.' The designer of Dayan chose the name to express his determination of being special." - quote from RayLam

Lingyun, 3x3 - 凌云 - This one has two possible meanings: either 'Ice Cloud' or 'Approaching Cloud(s).'

QUOTE: "...凌云 [Lingyun] is from a Chinese phrase 凌云壮志 [Lingyun Zhuangzhi] which means the ambition to reach the cloud. So 凌云 [Ligyun] here means 'reach the cloud.'" - quote from Cm_Hu

Lunhui, 3x3 - 轮回 - Means 'recur.' (You're supposed to get addicted to this cube: you scramble and solve over and over again!)

QUOTE: "轮回 is more a religious word which means 'transmigration' or a more specific word 'Samsara.'" - quote from Cm_Hu

-----

Fangshi - 方是 - It seems like these are just two random characters that were put together. Each of them don't really have very specific meanings. (Note: if it was '方式' it would mean 'method' or 'way of doing something.' But the second character is wrong.)

Shuangren, 3x3 - 霜刃 - This means 'Ice Blade' or 'Frost Knife.' Odd name for a cube.

QUOTE: "Shuangren is from "十年磨一剑,霜刃未曾试"。The sentence means one has practised a skill for a very long time but hasn't got any chance to demonstrate or test." - quote from RayLam

QUOTE: "The Shuangren actually means 'Frosted Blade'. Since the Fangshi has frosted pieces, [this] makes sense." - quote from guysensei1

Shishuang, 2x2 - 世双 - No real meaning, I guess. 'Shuang' means 'double,' and this is a 2x2 cube so that makes sense.

-----

Lanlan - 蓝蓝 - 'Lan' means 'blue.' In Chinese characters are often repeated for two reasons I can think of: either to make the tone of the character more relaxed, or to show that the character is a name.

-----

So there you go. I would like to continue to update this list so please suggest more Chinese cubes! Hope you liked it...

Rainbow Flash

Last edited:

Rainbow Flash

Hey Lingcheng. You're Chinese, right? You can probably understand all this better than I can...

RayLam

WCA
2013LINK01
孤鸿is named from the idiom“断雁孤鸿”,so you can't translate it directly into english XD
断雁孤鸿means "a wild goose straying away",and it actually usually means unmarried/celibate men or being out of people.The designer of Dayan chose the name to express his determination of being special.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
The shuang Ren actually meals 'frosted blade'. Since the fangshi has frosted pieces, makes sense.

'Gu' in Guhong should mean 'lone' in this case. Lone goose.

RayLam

WCA
2013LINK01
shuangren is from ”十年磨一剑,霜刃未曾试“,the sentence means one has practiced a skill for a very long time but hasnt got any chance to demostrate or test :p

Rainbow Flash

Thanks so much RayLam for helping me out. It's best when native Chinese speakers do the job, after all.

Rainbow Flash