• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Martin Vædele Egdal - 4.59 Square-1 Single

WCA
2019HENK01
amazing!
so sad that Rasmus didn't get this scramble though

reconstruction:
(-2,0) / (-3,0) / (-4,5) / (4,-5) / (-4,0) / (0,-3) / (-2,0) / (5,0) / (-2,0) / (-5,0) / (0,-5) / (2,-2) / (-5,0) /

(0,3) / (-1,0) / (2,0) / (-2,0) / (2,0) / (-1,0) / (-3,0) /
(1,-3) / (-1,-1) / (0,1)
(-2, 0) / (0,3) / (-1,-1) / (4,-2) / (-1,-1) / (-2,1) / (-1,0)

15 Slices
3,27 SPS

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why would they have 2 groups for the finals of an event?

Edit: he was in a different group and there was only 1 round of square 1.
This is one of the guidelines that I think is most often not followed in official competitions. Since it's just a recommended guideline, it's not invalid that it's not followed. And it is a challenge to follow it for events with just one big round.
1h++) RECOMMENDATION All attempts in the final round of an event, as well as all 3x3x3 Fewest Moves attempts, should have the same scramble sequences for all competitors (i.e. only 1 group).

Single round events with many competitors can make it difficult to choose between following this recommendation and protecting against too many people having seen a scramble; I've had single rounds with nearly 100 competitors before. But in my opinion, an event with only 17 competitors should really follow this recommendation - I'm disappointed that it was not followed here (if it really was not). But it is legitimate, whether I like it or not. :)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
This is one of the guidelines that I think is most often not followed in official competitions. Since it's just a recommended guideline, it's not invalid that it's not followed. And it is a challenge to follow it for events with just one big round.
1h++) RECOMMENDATION All attempts in the final round of an event, as well as all 3x3x3 Fewest Moves attempts, should have the same scramble sequences for all competitors (i.e. only 1 group).

Single round events with many competitors can make it difficult to choose between following this recommendation and protecting against too many people having seen a scramble; I've had single rounds with nearly 100 competitors before. But in my opinion, an event with only 17 competitors should really follow this recommendation - I'm disappointed that it was not followed here (if it really was not). But it is legitimate, whether I like it or not. :)
It's not really about the number of competitors in the round, but has more to do with whether there are enough competent scramblers who are not competing in that round. This is especially a problem with Square-1, because the notation is different to any other puzzle and it can be quite difficult to scramble quickly and accurately if you're not familiar with it. It's usually the case at competitions I've been to that every person that would be an ideal scrambler for SQ1 also wants to compete. I've been in a round of 4 competitors who were split into 2 groups of 2 before because of this issue. It's likely that Rasmus was scrambling for the group Martin was in, and Martin was scrambling for the group that Rasmus was in.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24

Hi @Mike Hughey

In this particular case, I don't think organizers had any other options but to split into groups. They have to follow COVID rule which states 1 station per table and fixed sitting environment. Unless you have 17 separate tables and 17 judges + runners + scramblers, you can't run all 17 people in one group, unfortunately. One combined round itself is too much for a fast event - the only way to avoid this could have been multiple rounds but it was not about the winning but about the scramble itself, so, results could have been the same (who got good scrambles).