• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Manchester Open 2016 (UK)

chungdavi

WCA
2009YANG31
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have heard rumours about James getting an 8.99+. Are they true? If so, unlucky James...
It is true, unfortunately.

By the way, it was a fun competition, many thanks to Nevins and Zak for organizing, and of course also to James and the team.
I'm sorry I made some judging and scrambling errors here and there, learned from the mistakes.

Last edited:

Kev43

WCA
2009GUIL01
Oh yes, true on both counts. It was hilarious.

I didn't laugh in front of James though.
It' s a bit like witnessing this. You feel bad for him, but it's still funny, then you feel a bit bad for laughing, but when you think about it again you laugh harder.

Joke aside it sucks but it's going to make your next 6 even better :)

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
It' s a bit like witnessing *hilarious video* . You feel bad for him, but it's still funny, then you feel a bit bad for laughing, but when you think about it again you laugh harder.

Joke aside it sucks but it's going to make your next 6 even better :)

I have laughed randomly several times since the incident in question.

Himself? Lol

No. How many British cubers in their 20s can you name who film their own solves?

Shaky Hands

Premium Member
WCA
2015NICH04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great competition. Thanks again to Nevins and Zak for organising, plus the delegates and all others that were involved either by competing or judging. I managed to set 5 new PB's for myself so happy with what I achieved even if it's hardly upper-echelon stuff for others.

I see there's already at least one video with footage from this event on youtube too.

Don't really see me getting to the FMC as (currently) a CFOP-only guy. Looking forward to Exeter though if there's nothing before then. Finally a competition with less than a 2-3 hour drive. :) Will suss out what to practice for that when the schedule gets released. (hint hint :D)

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's a shame, so no video then. Did he skip?

Fullstep, saw like 1.5 pairs in inspection. Wasn't sure where the corner for pair two would end up, just knew it would be top layer. Then easy insert, free pair, left fat antisune, U perm no AUF. Didn't quite finish the UPerm, I'll post a reconstruction tomorrow. I was laughing about it as well afterwards, don't feel too sad :p I don't exactly deserve an official 6 second solve, let's be fair here.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Fullstep, saw like 1.5 pairs in inspection. Wasn't sure where the corner for pair two would end up, just knew it would be top layer. Then easy insert, free pair, left fat antisune, U perm no AUF. Didn't quite finish the UPerm, I'll post a reconstruction tomorrow. I was laughing about it as well afterwards, don't feel too sad :p I don't exactly deserve an official 6 second solve, let's be fair here.

Go to sleep! You start work in the morning! Don't +2 alarm clock!

Jojasca

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who organised the event, and everyone who made it such a welcoming environment. Jacob had a fantastic day and enjoyed every minute!

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Big thanks to the organisers and UKCA team for another great comp :D. And congrats to all those who got the PBs they wanted! See you all in Exeter...

NevinsCPH

WCA
2010CHAN20
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is true, unfortunately.

By the way, it was a fun competition, many thanks to Nevins and Zak for organizing, and of course also to James and the team.
I'm sorry I made some judging and scrambling errors here and there, learned from the mistakes.

Don't worry about it David, thanks for the great amount of help for both day!

I'm more worried about how frequent the timer went faulty.

I've noticed quite a number of cubers have lost a few puzzles. I'll send out post-comp email tomorrow night so if you lost anything or so, please bear with us for another 36 hours-ish.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't worry about it David, thanks for the great amount of help for both day!

I'm more worried about how frequent the timer went faulty.

I've noticed quite a number of cubers have lost a few puzzles. I'll send out post-comp email tomorrow night so if you lost anything or so, please bear with us for another 36 hours-ish.

The timer faults are quite common, this competition was no different to any other really. Most of the time it's due to a low battery or someone using the timer incorrectly so it's nothing to worry about. We just need to get into the habit of changing all of the timer batteries before a competition so that it reduces the amount even more.

And yes, the amount of cubes and timers that went missing is truly shocking. In some cases it seems like there was obvious stealing occurring, I can't imagine any other way some of these items have gone missing. This is absolutely not acceptable under any circumstances and if we catch anyone stealing I can assure you that they will not get away with it lightly. At competitions you should always make sure to ask before borrowing a cube and make sure you return them to the person and not just leave it around or put it down on any table. I can let everyone know now that there was no lost property, nothing was left behind. Make sure you all check your bags to see if you accidentally picked up any cubes from someone else by accident and let them know. Let us know if you have any cubes that do not belong to you, we will try and find out who the original owner is. It is a shame I have to write a message like this not condoning stealing, something like this should be obvious.