• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Male to Female Ratio

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the best explanation of why most speedcubers would be that men generally have more addictive personalities, and that lends itself to speedcubing well. I'm sure a natural inclination toward math might be some factor, but I doubt it's as important as the addiction towards the competitive nature of speedcubing.

I have absolutely no data on how many speedcubers are men or women but I'd say that of the tournaments I've been to I'm not sure I've ever seen more than 5-8% of the competitors be female and I have certainly seen no female competitors.

Natural inclination? Don't you think societal influences also have something to do with it?

I think that societal influences certainly have a great to do with. But studies have shown men to have a greater acumen for mathematics while women test better with verbal skills. I don't think it's unreasonable that that natural successes in those fields would make for people extrapolating their talents in math to something like cubing. I imagine both societal influences and a predisposition play a role in the ratio we see today.

I probably should have qualified my statement with an acknowledgment of that as well, Tyson.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A female made one of the most popular methods ;)
I think it's because we have longer attention spans ;)

1) So?

2) Proof please.

1 isn't even true.

2 yeah i'm pretty sure that's not accurate, too.
So how come people are denying that a woman made Fridrich, here? wtf are you talking about? And if you deny Fridrich isn't at minimum one of the most popular methods, than you're just being moronic. So please, elaborate. You've got my attention.

ok this is just getting out of control. jiri is jessica. she was he. he invented the method. he became her.

None of us should have even brought it up as a matter of semantics. it's a silly thing to worry about, I guess it just came up because of the topic.

Either way, the creator of a method does not have anything to do with the ratio of men to women.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to quote two separate posts in one post.

D

Deleted member 2864

err... I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it... but males (in general of course) tend to study more facts while females (again, in general) will often be more analytical on certain subjects... that may be a reason because males can memorize more algs... but then again... it takes analyzing, too. =/

D

Deleted member 2864

1) So?

2) Proof please.

1 isn't even true.

So how come people are denying that a woman made Fridrich, here? wtf are you talking about? And if you deny Fridrich isn't at minimum one of the most popular methods, than you're just being moronic. So please, elaborate. You've got my attention.

ok this is just getting out of control. jiri is jessica. she was he. he invented the method. he became her.

None of us should have even brought it up as a matter of semantics. it's a silly thing to worry about, I guess it just came up because of the topic.

Either way, the creator of a method does not have anything to do with the ratio of men to women.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to quote two separate posts in one post.

sorry for the double but it's for the same reason as the person above... I know this is off topic but "she became he???" I don't get it... explanation plz =)

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

1) So?

2) Proof please.

1 isn't even true.

sorry for the double but it's for the same reason as the person above... I know this is off topic but "she became he???" I don't get it... explanation plz =)

Is Jessica a transvestite?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why does everyone assume that more male than females cube?

I have taught > 100 people how to cube (in person) and I would estimate only 10% of them are male.

It is my experience that women learn how to solve the cube faster, but once they have learned how to solve it they generally don't have as much drive as men to become fast.

And Jessica is a transsexual (MTF), not a transvestite

live2die

lol well im a girl and i have an addictive personalitie and cant put the cube down lol .. im have a bit of trouble momorizing th last layer if anyone want to give me tips it would be nice

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
Why does everyone assume that more male than females cube?

I have taught > 100 people how to cube (in person) and I would estimate only 10% of them are male.

It is my experience that women learn how to solve the cube faster, but once they have learned how to solve it they generally don't have as much drive as men to become fast.

And Jessica is a transsexual (MTF), not a transvestite

So... how should we go about our data collection?

d_sprink

as for getting data... you could always use a forum poll for starters. And someone put that post up with WCA stats.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i have a suspicion that Jiri switched sides because they're weren't enough female cubers. :p
That's funny, but I don't think it works that way.

Dene(y) is trying it the opposite way. (S)he now looks like a man in the hope that (s)he will attract female cubers that way (I do about the same but I have been a "he" for as long as I can remember)

So far the "switching gender" approach hasn't raised the amount of female cubers as much as my "Hi, I am Arnaud, I can do the sexy move and I can teach you how to do it as well" approach

themontyfreak

From the perspective of a girl

I, being a female, think a reason why that the Rubik's cube and speedcubing in general is heavily weighted towards men is because (from my experience) girls think the Rubik's cube is nerdy and would rather obsess about boys and make-up (among other things, I'm not like that). Some girls really hate math and could honestly care less about things such as the cube.
That's just my thought though.

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
All the people in my school that Ive taught have been male. I tried my best to teach a female, and she couldn't complete the cross because "She is not a nerd and does not have enough patience"

many people in my school (especially women)[No sexist] are ignorant, and that is a quality that spreads really fast. That's why I am single and will be until I find a girl that can cube. Cubing > Social life.

themontyfreak

All the people in my school that Ive taught have been male. I tried my best to teach a female, and she couldn't complete the cross because "She is not a nerd and does not have enough patience"

many people in my school (especially women)[No sexist] are ignorant, and that is a quality that spreads really fast. That's why I am single and will be until I find a girl that can cube. Cubing > Social life.
I'm a female cuber....I know what it's like to grow up in a school full of ignorance, not fun. Though I might be a bit too old to date you (I'm turning 18 and heading off to college in the fall) and might live a ways away, doesn't mean we can't talk or something.