• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Losing sight of pieces hiding in plain sight

jdh3000

Though usually being sub 20(3x3 cfop), I still find myself running into the problem of losing sight of a piece.

Most often it's the 4th piece of the cross on inspection. It's right there in front of me hiding in plain sight.

I can examine each side, even keeping my fingers on the other 3, but there is just some mental block.

This seldom happens during a solve, as my look ahead seems to go beyond concentration and I seem to lock onto the next pair whilst inserting the current pair.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else, even after cubing for years.

It's kind of like looking all over for your car keys and they are laying on the table where you've already looked.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you feel frantic while solving or notice you feel an adrenaline rush/panic during inspection? 15 second countdown making you nervous?

I experience a similar feeling occasionally where I can’t find a piece thats in plain sight but it’s always when I’m in not in a calm state of mind during the solve, essentially I’m too excited/rushed/tense and it makes me lose focus and thus not be able to track pieces.

I sometimes feel like a dog, “Squirrel!” and am just spazzing our trying to do things fast which causes me to lose track of pieces. I should really calm down and go slower...which leads to a smoother more relaxed and faster solve usually.

jdh3000

Do you feel frantic while solving or notice you feel an adrenaline rush/panic during inspection? 15 second countdown making you nervous?

I experience a similar feeling occasionally where I can’t find a piece thats in plain sight but it’s always when I’m in not in a calm state of mind during the solve, essentially I’m too excited/rushed/tense and it makes me lose focus and thus not be able to track pieces.

I sometimes feel like a dog, “Squirrel!” and am just spazzing our trying to do things fast which causes me to lose track of pieces. I should really calm down and go slower...which leads to a smoother more relaxed and faster solve usually.

I'm not sure what it is... It's just a little bit of a stumbling block. It could be adrenaline, but I think it's when I'm trying too hard, thinking too much about it... I do my fastest solves when I scramble, quickly inspect and solve without really slowing down to think. I don't turn too fast or too slow, just smooth fluid turns.

It usually happens when first start. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten into the zone yet. I think when I'm in the zone, I am more relaxed into it.

I feel an adrenaline rush but it's not the same as if I say try to time myself and fall apart trying to solve. The only way I can time myself is by taking videos of several solves then going back and timing it. I would do terrible in a competition. Fortunately I do it only for relaxation... Immersing myself in solves totally takes my attention away from everything else.

GAN 356 X

Though usually being sub 20(3x3 cfop), I still find myself running into the problem of losing sight of a piece.

Most often it's the 4th piece of the cross on inspection. It's right there in front of me hiding in plain sight.

I can examine each side, even keeping my fingers on the other 3, but there is just some mental block.

This seldom happens during a solve, as my look ahead seems to go beyond concentration and I seem to lock onto the next pair whilst inserting the current pair.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else, even after cubing for years.

It's kind of like looking all over for your car keys and they are laying on the table where you've already looked.
This happens to me on 6x6 and 7x7, especially for edges. There'll be an edge right next my grouping of edges and I won't see it for 15 seconds. You're not alone