• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Live Cubecast And/Or Video Feed at Worlds 2013

What live interactions would you like to see at worlds 2013?

• Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live video feeds only

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • Cubecast only

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Live video feeds + Audio Cubecast

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Live video feeds + Video Cubecast

Votes: 71 65.1%

• Total voters

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone,

As you probably know, me and Austin have been doing the newest episodes of Cubecast, and we're thinking about getting some live stuff done at worlds. Now we have 2 ideas about this, and each one could work separately, or together, hence the poll with the options on what you would like to see most.

The first thing is that we would like to have live video feeds set up so that people can watch what is going on. Ideally they would be placed one for each competing area, so that people can watch any event that is currently happening.
The second is that between rounds of events, or when people are free, doing interviews with various cubers, possibly on video, possibly as a voice over on the live feed. We'd hope to talk to quite a few people including current and past world record holders, and also people who are prominent in the community or just people that we want to talk to ;). Due to the fact that people would be competing quite a bit, we would probably have some alternate hosts as well, just to keep things moving during popular events.

The main problem we have is that we have no way to really set all this up without help, so this post has 2 purposes.

First of all, we would like to gauge the interest in us doing this kind of thing.

Secondly, this is a call to anyone who has the equipment/know-how to help us set it up and run it on the day. If someone is already planning stuff like this, we'd really appreciate it if you choose to include us.

EDIT: The streams are live! http://www.multitwitch.tv/cubecastws1/cubecastws2

Last edited by a moderator:

Veerexx

YouTube
Visit Channel
If this does happen, I can get it all to be hosted at: http://speedsolvingrecords.com at maybe /cubecastlive or /worlds or /live or something.
A great way to get this all to work would be through maybe twitch.tv with live-streaming and then embedding it onto the site page. It would have the comments box (chat) and everything so it would be good that way. It's up to you, but I definitely think that video streaming would be really cool. Audio at the least hopefully :D

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One problem that just came to mind was that there was no public WiFi in the competitionrooms at Nationals. I don't know if we just needed a password, or if gusts simply weren't allowed access. This needs to be addressed in order for this to work. There was of course wireless access in the hotel rooms...

D

Deleted member 19792

Kickstarter.

I would love to be a commentary guy

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03
This is a great idea! I would just do whatever is available for you to do at that time and what equipment you have. Better yet a combination, what ever works best. I would also make sure that somehow, somewhere the footage was saved so that it can be watched later by those who could not watch it live.

BaconCuber

I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago. I would really like to have the whole thing livestreamed because I will not be able to be there. I wish you luck with getting people to help set it up!

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a great idea! I would just do whatever is available for you to do at that time and what equipment you have. Better yet a combination, what ever works best. I would also make sure that somehow, somewhere the footage was saved so that it can be watched later by those who could not watch it live.

If it's steamed through a Twitch.tv account, all streams are saved as VODs to be accessed at any time.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys,
So we've been discussing with the Organisers of Worlds, and we have the go ahead to do this.
The plan is basically to stream all of the events, with occasional commentary but mostly just the events. Then during breaks in the schedule such as between events, lunch time, and the evenings we will be doing some more cubecast oriented stuff such as interviews and discussions on things. We will also be streaming the unofficial events and seminars.

What we need help with is equipment. We basically require 2 or 3 cameras, some long cables to connect, and a computer/laptop with a fair bit of power. If anyone is happy to help out, please post in the thread, and we'll PM people once we work out what we need totally and what people can offer us.

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
One problem that just came to mind was that there was no public WiFi in the competitionrooms at Nationals. I don't know if we just needed a password, or if gusts simply weren't allowed access. This needs to be addressed in order for this to work. There was of course wireless access in the hotel rooms...

Tbh, the wifi at Riviera was terrible. Even when I was in our hotel room, it was terrible. Hopefully, we'll have better luck for worlds...

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys,
So we've been discussing with the Organisers of Worlds, and we have the go ahead to do this.
The plan is basically to stream all of the events, with occasional commentary but mostly just the events. Then during breaks in the schedule such as between events, lunch time, and the evenings we will be doing some more cubecast oriented stuff such as interviews and discussions on things. We will also be streaming the unofficial events and seminars.

What we need help with is equipment. We basically require 2 or 3 cameras, some long cables to connect, and a computer/laptop with a fair bit of power. If anyone is happy to help out, please post in the thread, and we'll PM people once we work out what we need totally and what people can offer us.

This all presupposes that you can access the internet. We are working on some things regarding that right now but we can't make any promises.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone!
All of this post is assuming we have access to an internet connection at the event btw.

We'll be using the cubecast twitch account to stream this. The stream will most likely be on from 8am to 10pm PST, which is the times that the competition is running, on each of the 3 days. We might also be doing some stuff on Thursday evening, but that's not certain yet. While for the most part the video feed will be the events, we will respond to questions given in the chat, and also announcing records after they happen. Also some interviews will take place during gaps in the competition, so you guys will have that to look forward to!

Now, to anyone who is coming to worlds: We're a bit stuck on equipment. If there is anyone coming who is able to lend us a decent webcam or a camcorder capable of streaming video, and also a couple of microphones, then can you please PM me. Obviously we don't expect this all from one person, but if you have any of it, please let us know.

Also, Cubecast will be running a little competition, details of which will be announced in the episode that was recorded recently (still to be released) or if not, we will announce it on the Cubecast thread.

Hopefully it should be a great event, and hopefully you guys will help us out with the equipment so we can do a really great stream!

See you all in a few days!