• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

KCLL

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
KCLL is an extension to the Roux method. It involves solving the corners and solving the edge orientation or changing it from a hard case to an easy case in a single algorithm.

The exact method is deliberately vaguely defined, since the actual techniques I'm using have changed while I developed it and I'm sure I'm not quite done yet. Also, it can be approached by learning 300+ algorithms, or next to none.

So far, I've had two main approaches to tackling this technique. The first was algorithmatically, and I learnt the entire 'A' set.

Here are the algs I know/use for the sake of completeness;

Code:
A2;

none; R2F2RUL'U2RU'L
ULUR; R2B'R'BR'F'U'FRUR'
UFUB; F'L'U2RU'LUR'FURU2R'
UBUR; ULF'LF2R'FRF2L2
URUF; UR'FR'F2LF'L'F2R2 / rUR'U'r'FR2U'R'U'RUR'F'
UFUL; L2F2R'F'RF2L'FL'
ULUB; U2R2F2LFL'F2RF'R
4flip U'M'UL2B2LUR'U2LU'r
6flip R'URU2L'BL2R'FU'RUL'

A6;

none; FRU'R'U'RUR'F'RUR'U'R'FRF'
ULUR; R'UL'U2RU'x'UL'U2RU'
UBUR; r'UL'U2RU'BL'B2RB'L
4flip BR'U2B2R'BR2B'RB2U2RB' / R'U2FL2RUR'U'L2F2U2FR
6flip M'UM'rBU2B'UR'FR'F'R2Ur'

Recently (like, this weekend) I was messing about with KCLL. When talking about it with Gilles, I recall him saying that a single M' before CMLL can change the worse LSE case into one of the best. Remembering this, I started to try and approach KCLL intuitively. I've written down what I found for the first Sune case. I actually do this in solves.

Every KCLL alg is derived from the 'main' case in this example. You can also derive COLL from CMLL cases with the same techniques quite easily.

Sune; RUR'URU2R'

lol COLL.

URUF; rUR'URU2r'

Simply conjugating an algorithm by M' can influence EO.

ULUR; UM2U' rUR'URU2 R'M'

Forcing one of the easy 4flip cases with the above trick and cancelling the M2 at the start of the EO case with the end of the alg produces the easy 3 move EO case.

UFUB; M RUR'URU2R' M'

Same as before, shorter setup. (cancels from M2 rUR'... to M conj)

UBUR; UM2U' rUR'URU2r'

Solving straight to the 3 move EO case.

UFUL; M RUR'URU2R' M'

This is the same alg as the UF/UB flip case, but achieves 3 move EO differently.

ULUB; M RUR'URU2R' UM'

This time you can cancel the above case into the EO to have it fully solved.

UBURUFUL; M' rUR'URU2R' M2

Conjugate by M2 to flip UR/DB for 3 move EO.

6flip; rUR'URU2R' M'

Cancel a FatSune into M2 4flip EO.

---

Of course, this is just the beginning. I introduced the main concepts, but there's much more to discover. For example, on E6/fruruf - try doing f instead of F and watch the magic unfold. Some cases aren't as flexible as this and may require alg generation, but you can at least apply this technique to every Sune/Niklas/fruruf - based case.

04:04:21 <Kirjava> it's all about
04:04:27 <Kirjava> doing double slices instead of single
04:04:39 <Kirjava> and changing M orientation

(Since I wrote the intuitive guide I decided to split CMLL and KCLL discussion, which is why this thread now exists)

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

Hmm, I wonder what "KCLL" stands for... ;)

It looks interesting. I look forward to seeing this developed more and more.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ive actually been playing around with something like this for L6E, just for the
A6E case and the bad 4E case.

at first i used your(kirs) alg on A6E then changed it to a 4E alg now from that and using the unconstrained centers technique ive come up with more ^^

i wont hijack this thread tho. XP

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is really easy to apply to pretty much every case.

Here's a non Sune example;

So for the case G1+UBUL, we take the alg (F RUR'U' RUR'U' F'). This flips UF/UR. If we execute the alg as it is, we the nasty 4flip on U - but if we add an M2 before the alg, we get the nice 3 move 4flip.

It's easy to find these, and not too difficult to learn them. Maybe one day I'll document every KCLL case with minimal algorithms.

EDIT:

Converting a CMLL to a COLL example;

So take the B4 case RU2R'U2R'FRF'. It currently flips UF/UR. Like the other algs, M layer manipulation changes how it effects EO. So doing M RU2R'U2R'FRF' M' results in a COLL alg. However, the M move doesn't have to even be at the start of the algorithm, since it doesn't effect the M layer until it hits the first F move. So you can place the M anywhere before the F, ideally at a place where it cancels to nothing, giving the resulting alg of RU2R'U2r'FRF'M'. (I actually did this alg first then backtracked to understand it)

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
haha, I already know that, too (or at least the inverse). I'm an idiot XD

RU'L'UR'U2B'UBL -> rU'L'UR'UM'UB'UBL

2flip -> 3 move EO

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
RouxZZ solve with NMKCLL example;

3x3 Scramble #5874: L B2 U R' L' B R' U' F L' R B' R' L2 U F' D' R U' F' B2 L' B D U

First block;
yLU'L'x'URUR'y

EO;
rU'R'U'MUM'

Second block;
(r2R')URUR'URU'R2U'RU2R'U2RU'R'

KCLL;
U2M'FR'F'RU2RU2R'M'

NMLSE;
M'U2M'UM2Ur2M'U2M'U2

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i put this thread on a chinese bbs and translated it.
this is link
http://bbs.mf8.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=56452&page=1&extra=page=1
maybe you will be happy~

Haha, that's awesome. I wish i could read replies!

Oh, it's certainly not a new approach at all - the idea has been floating about since 2003. However, this is the first time I've taken a systematic approach to learning a system for it and discovering the various techniques and quirks of the method.

Anyway, check out this Niklas alternative; rU'r'U'rUr'yR'UR (it's an OLL)

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heh. If he has a list, that'd be cool - but I don't really learn sets of algs for this. I've just been expanding the number of CLLs I know gradually by learning random cases that I see could be useful. Maybe I should go back to covering every case like I did for the A cases.

Approx. movecount cannot be known - I don't know how many algs there are (it's impossible to work it out without learning it all since until you learn the algset for a certain case you don't know how many algs it requires since some algs can be 'tweaked' to produce others).

However, it should be basically the same as CMLL.