• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is 3 sec avg per PLL bad?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to get faster overall, then it is wise to minimise the amount of time required for to complete the cube at each phase of solving.
For algorithms like PLLs, it is generally advised to get these as fast as possible. I would recommend finding videos of cubers who do the PLL algorithms you use faster than you do, and consider what they do in order to solve that PLL faster. Perhaps it's turning speed. Perhaps it's a different finger trick or turning style. Perhaps it's the compatibility of that cuber with their cube as compared to you and your cube. Sometimes, you might want to consider new algorithms to replace some of the ones you use. I have been solving for more than six years, and I still change some of my algorithms, finger tricks, and cubes to suit my cubing style at a given time.

Depending what you average, 3 seconds for a single PLL algorithm could either be good or bad, but the more important part is that there is very likely room for improvement.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
According to this guide. https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...-advice-to-other-cubers&p=1088609#post1088609

I'm gonna say
yes, it's bad, you are wrong (1).
I don't even do PLL and I average 10 (2).
Just like don't bother learning anymore tricks, just mindlessly do all of them until you get better that's what good cubers do (3).
Just like turn stupid fast and get better algs, trust me I'm good (source I average 12) (4).
Just practice (5).

Am I doing it right?

OT - You're doing fabulously keep up the good work. Your times with PLL with get better the more you do them.

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow.. You know for most PLL's I average 2.5 seconds. Yet I average solving around 15 seconds. Is THAT bad?

Plus I also get regular 13 second solves with occasional 11's and 12's.

Last edited:

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an average of "a-bit-more-than-2" and I'm sub-15 (or maybe sub-14)

It depends... on everything.

In my opinion it is a bit slow (I'm telling myself slow in terms of PLLs, yep)

Self-criticism helps

Last edited:

MM99

I also have sub 2 PLL but only average 15s (I can sub 1 some) but yea 3s PLL is fine man you don't even need tps to be sub 20 just eliminate pauses and PRACTICE

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Yes, it is bad. i bet everyone could easily get sub2 PLLs by just getting proper algs, getting the fingertricks down, and then doing every alg as fast as they can one hundred times. which takes at most an afternoon to do.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say it isnt bad, but It definitley could use improvement. I would say get them all to sub 2 before trying to be sub-20 Just spam the algs, until they come easier to you. Then, practice recogniton. At least that is what I would do...

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
I'm gonna say
yes, it's bad, you are wrong (1).
I don't even do PLL and I average 10 (2).
Just like don't bother learning anymore tricks, just mindlessly do all of them until you get better that's what good cubers do (3).
Just like turn stupid fast and get better algs, trust me I'm good (source I average 12) (4).
Just practice (5).

10/10