• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Inventing a new method for 3x3

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
the ZZ method (Mitchell and I :

1:DF and DB solved

2:Orient the edges so that the F2L can be solved with L, U, R moves.

3:Either solve DL and DR to make a cross then do Fridrich F2L,
OR use block building.

4 option a: Use Winter Variation to insert the last paired C/E and OLL simultaneously .
option b: Insert the last CE pair and ELL simultaneously.

5 option a: After Winter Variation, do PLL to solve.
option b: After ELL, do CLL (that doesn't affect the ELL)

The good thing about this method is that the algos are actually all found already, so no need of going to the ACube or Cube Explorer to trying to find a new sets of algos. CLL that doesn't affect ELL can be found in Andy Camann's website. Winter Variation is somewhere...hehe.

The other good thing is that Fridrich solvers and Block-building solvers can use this method. It could be intuitive F2L, or Fridrich with no rotation at all. The avg moves of this method is yet to be calculated. Supposedly it could avg at around 45 moves,

Any ideas?

Athefre

If you do it the Fridrich way (placing DL and DR) then I really think the *average number of moves would be almost the same as normal Fridrich.

If you do block-building the average could be 45 if you learned lots of little techniques.

The only problem I see with the method is that once Steps 1 and 2 are completed the pieces are still almost everywhere. Solving DF and DB was a good idea, it makes it a little less of a problem.

Trying to plan those 2 steps in 15 seconds is difficult. You have to keep up with an average of 6 bad edges while planning DF and DB (about 3 moves). Or, you might could try to recognize them instantly and just plan Step 1. Is there a good technique for planning the two steps?

*For the average person using the same colors every time.

Johannes91

It's better to do Step 2 first and then Step 1, after some practice they'll go simultaneously. I use this method (with WV and PLL) for OH every now and then. I generated algs for WV last summer and memorized them, but I use only the easiest ones in speedsolving.

Edit: ZZ comes from Zbigniew Zborowski, who invented this method a few years ago.

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
hm. The disadvantage is that Orientating the edges aren't giong to be don't as fast as cross (not YET?). I gotta learn how to do block building effiectivly...help!!

Edit: I can't ever spell Zbigniew Zborowski....

Athefre

No, the first two steps should be just as fast if you can find a really good way of doing it easily.

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
A while ago, Johannes and I worked on an example F2L solve using ZZ. However, we didn't use either LL option in the solve, so it ends up being a normal LL.

Scramble:
D' U L B2 U' R L F2 B R' F' R2 L U2 R F' B2 U' B' L' D U2 L D' B

Orient edges and solve DF+DB: R B2 F' U F L' D' B' D y'
DR and BR slot: L' F2 R F2 R2
FR slot: L' U L' R U2 R'
DL and BL slot: U L U2 L U' L
FL slot: U L' U' L

If anyone would like another example solve with more detail, feel free to ask :D!

Johannes91

Originally posted by watermelon@Nov 27 2006, 02:46 AM
A while ago, Johannes and I worked on an example F2L solve using ZZ.
Hehe, it was just one speedsolve I did and then wrote down. :rolleyes:

@Harris: You should practise Petrus and Heise, they are mostly block building.

UberStuber

WCA
2005STUB01
Doing steps 1 and 2 simultaneously isn't difficult; I tried this a while ago. I don't think ell cll is the way to go, but I've never seen this "winter variation". Can anyone point me to an alg list?

Athefre

>Scramble:
>D' U L B2 U' R L F2 B R' F' R2 L U2 R F' B2 U' B' L' D U2 L D' B
>
>Orient edges and solve DF+DB: R B2 F' U F L' D' B' D y'
>DR and BR slot: L' F2 R F2 R2
>FR slot: L' U L' R U2 R'
>DL and BL slot: U L U2 L U' L

To continue a normal ZZ solve:

FR slot and U edges: U L' U L U L' U L
U corners: U2 R2 B' R' U' R U R B R U R2 U2 R' U? R' (BH's LL list)