• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Introducing myself

Zuki

Hello, just introducing myself as a fairly lame (but very interested) speedcuber. I live in northeastern America and attend a regular high school.

I am 16 now, I learned to solve when I was 10, but have only been actually speedcubing for about a year or so. I feel like all that time was wasted and I could be a ton better now but oh well. I'm improving now at least!
Overall average is about ~24 seconds, single best was a lucky 16.70. I use intuitive F2L but a 2 look oll (sometimes even three, there's a cross case I don't know yet :/) and a 1 or 2 look pll, 11/21 memorized.

Recently I have been looking into blindsolving, I know the concepts and how it works, but haven't learned all the details of cycles and all.

Also upon reading a lot of this forum I have noticed that a considerable number of people prefer the Roux method, which I was considering taking up. At this point I have around a 13-19 second f2l, and was wondering if Roux would be better or worse or just different, or if I should just forget that and completely learn blindsolving.

I also have taken a recent interest in the 15 puzzle, which I find extremely fun and interesting.

That's all, and I'm happy to be a part of this forum!

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello and welcome! If you are thinking about switching methods there are plenty of threads here that may help including this one: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...ner-s-Guide-to-Choosing-a-Speedsolving-Method . You're not really a beginner but it's a good place to start if you're unsure. If you're interested in Roux this one might also help:http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?47572-Video-Roux-as-a-Beginner-Method . I'm not a Roux solver so I'm not really capable of giving advice but I hear it's a good thread if you're looking for an introduction into Roux. There are plenty of other cubers who switch methods so feel free to explore and find which one suits you best. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Happy cubing :)

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forums!

F2L is definitely where the bulk of your practice and experimentation should concentrate... but learning full PLL is pretty important too. As for OLL, I knew a couple people that averaged sub15 and were still 2-Looking it besides the most basic of cases.

I wouldn't feel too bad about having "lame" times. I averaged ~35s for over 6 years with Petrus. But when I did make the switch to CFOP, my times shot up to over a minute for a little while. Roux is pretty awesome and versatile, but don't worry if your times suffer after making the switch.

If you're really into it, you should check out DeeDub's "Roux as a Beginner's Method" thread/videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB-y0XQiN0M&list=PLajHGvYF36nSsL1r_DqrpDY07TnJwqEpn

xsolver

Welcome to the forums!

Ill also recommend DeeDubb's beginners tutorial for Roux, his videos are easy to understand, noob-friendly, and just with a little effort from your side you could get the basics of Roux in a day. Thats where i learned Roux from, and i absolutely love that method, its great to know another method apart from your primary. And who knows, maybe Roux will become your primary one day :)

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome! It's always good to try Roux. It's just a different method but you should use whichever method feels best for you. You may enjoy block building or not. In general, just do whatever you feel motivated to do so you can enjoy your cubing experience the most.

Zuki

Thank you!

I am interested to try new things and also just improve in general. I'll be sure to check those out

Welcome to the forums!

F2L is definitely where the bulk of your practice and experimentation should concentrate... but learning full PLL is pretty important too. As for OLL, I knew a couple people that averaged sub15 and were still 2-Looking it besides the most basic of cases.

I wouldn't feel too bad about having "lame" times. I averaged ~35s for over 6 years with Petrus. But when I did make the switch to CFOP, my times shot up to over a minute for a little while. Roux is pretty awesome and versatile, but don't worry if your times suffer after making the switch.

If you're really into it, you should check out DeeDub's "Roux as a Beginner's Method" thread/videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB-y0XQiN0M&list=PLajHGvYF36nSsL1r_DqrpDY07TnJwqEpn

I will try to work on f2l mostly, as much as I hate the intuitive-ness. I've been slowly working on PLLs as I still need a couple of them to be able to attempt old pochman (from badmephisto's tutorials)

hi there

aperture science?

yes, excellent game <3

Last edited by a moderator:

3LEVAS3

Welcome Zuki!

I think if you're sub 25-28 you're not a lame cuber :p so don't put yourself down about that!

The 15 puzzle is amazing. I think my best time on it is like... 1 minute. I'm so slow :( but the puzzle I have is ancient I tell you. xD

anyway, welcome! Hope to see you on the forums later.

-L

Last edited: