• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Incredible Store-Bought Cube

JemFish

It's general knowledge in the speedcubing community that store-bought cubes can never be trusted. Today I was in a random store when I found some cubes that were dirt-cheap, about 2.5 dollars. I assumed that because they weren't of the big brands like Moyu, Dayan, etc., they were like the horrible Rubik's brand. But no, when I tried them I was completely blown away, and they felt very much like the Moyu Sulong. They are blazing fast and very smooth, and so far I haven't had any pops yet. Corner cutting was OK. The brand was: Miniso, which is a Japanese brand of cheap products, ranging from ladies' perfume to lense-less glasses, and yes, including speedcubes.

EDIT: I must have been asleep when I wrote this - after using it for a while and comparing it to the Dayan Zhanchi and the Moyu Sulong, I think the corner cutting is better than both.

EDIT: here are some photos of the Miniso cubes.

Miniso cube disassembled:
P1310004 (800x593).jpg

The box the the Miniso cube came in:
P1310005 (800x600).jpg

Note: the white 'stickers' aren't in fact stickers. When I bought the cubes, the sides which were supposed to be white were actually covered in black stickers, so all I had to do was peel them off, and voila, here I had white faces.

I'm going to be using one of them as my main speedcube, with the Dayan Zhanchi remaining as my main BLD cube.

Tell me what you think, and for anyone here who has been impressed with a store-bought cube, feel free to post about that.

~ JemFish

(P.S. I was very close to buying a Shengshou 5x5, but I'm glad I didn't, because I could have bought 7 of those Miniso cubes for that price, which will be worth it for my future MBLD practice.)

Last edited:

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's general knowledge in the speedcubing community that store-bought cubes can never be trusted. Today I was in a random store when I found some cubes that were dirt-cheap, about 2.5 dollars. I assumed that because they weren't of the big brands like Moyu, Dayan, etc., they were like the horrible Rubik's brand. But no, when I tried them I was completely blown away, and they felt very much like the Moyu Sulong. They are blazing fast and very smooth, and so far I haven't had any pops yet. Corner cutting was OK. The brand was: Miniso, which is a Japanese brand of cheap products, ranging from ladies' perfume to lense-less glasses, and yes, including speedcubes.

I'm going to be using one of them as my main speedcube, with the Dayan Zhanchi remaining as my main BLD cube.

Tell me what you think, and for anyone here who has been impressed with a store-bought cube, feel free to post about that.

~ JemFish

(P.S. I was very close to buying a Shengshou 5x5, but I'm glad I didn't, because I could have bought 7 of those Miniso cubes for that price, which will be worth it for my future MBLD practice.)

Get a bunch now just in case they stop selling them.
Could you also make a video? I'm very intrigued.

deKassu

Interesting indeed... I must also ask for a video demonstration. I wonder will re-sellers will buy an abundance of these and start re-selling them? Doubtful, since it isnt a "real" cubing brand but may be still possible.

CuBouz

I'd guess the cube is one of the Chinese ones rebranded because Miniso itself is practically Chinese. They seem to represent themselves as Japanese, claiming they were founded by a Japanese but in reality they aren't.

JemFish

Interesting indeed... I must also ask for a video demonstration. I wonder will re-sellers will buy an abundance of these and start re-selling them? Doubtful, since it isnt a "real" cubing brand but may be still possible.

Hey, it is possible.

OK, I'll try to make a video, but don't expect it any time soon 'cause I'm not into that stuff.

These Miniso cubes were either designed to be really good for speedcubers, but that's unlikely because of the range of products they sell, or that they copied another brand, probably Moyu, and somehow the result was this incredible, dirt-cheap cube. They also might have been re-branded, which is possible, but they don't feel like any other cube I know. It's a shame no one knows about these things.

(OK, I'm going to start a business - I'm going to order 200 of these cubes and then sell them to the speedsolving community, shaming all the big brands. Nah, just kidding...)

Last edited: