• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I have a clock service idea.

Should I start this service?

• Total voters
C

Cubinwitdapizza

(Mods if I put this in wrong section, change cuz I didn’t know where to put it other than the questions section.)

So, I have a service idea. I want people to, send me their clocks, and I will have a array of options for customization. So, basically, I will have a large selection of lubes, magnets, and I can even trim the springs if you want it. So, every option will cost a certain amount of money, so basically cubicle custom but for clocks, and hopefully more cheap. Also, it won’t be a firm price for everything, it will probably have a starting price, that will change as you add options. I will pay for shipping on the way back, you will pay for sending to me.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

The point of this thread, is to ask people if they would invest in a custom clock. If so, respond and tell me.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would probably be better if you just sold them, instead of people sending you their clocks. Also just fyi, the biggest problem I've had with selling clocks (and the main reason I've mostly stopped) is magnets falling off, no matter what I do (scratch the surface, use more glue etc) magnets ALWAYS fall off.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
It would probably be better if you just sold them, instead of people sending you their clocks. Also just fyi, the biggest problem I've had with selling clocks (and the main reason I've mostly stopped) is magnets falling off, no matter what I do (scratch the surface, use more glue etc) magnets ALWAYS fall off.

What type of glue do you use?

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
gorilla super glue.
I don't understand why people do clock. I have never found out how it appeals to people. What makes it so fun and why should somebody invest in a good clock?
The same reason people do 3x3. It can be a fun event if you try it, and clocks these days are super super bad, so investing in a good one can literally half your times. Also please don't hate on peoples events just because you don't like it, thanks!

WCA
2018BRUM01
gorilla super glue.

The same reason people do 3x3. It can be a fun event if you try it, and clocks these days are super super bad, so investing in a good one can literally half your times. Also please don't hate on peoples events just because you don't like it, thanks!

I am not trying to hate on it, I am trying to figure out how to make it fun for myself. I have seen people have fun with clock, and I would love to get into I just can't find the motivation to do so.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
I am not trying to hate on it, I am trying to figure out how to make it fun for myself. I have seen people have fun with clock, and I would love to get into I just can't find the motivation to do so.
I find that when you lube and set up your clock it becomes nice and easy to turn, and I find that fun. I think that the accuracy required is a challenge that some people like, and also spamming TPS is easy and fun on clock if you’re good.

WCA
2018BRUM01
I find that when you lube and set up your clock it becomes nice and easy to turn, and I find that fun. I think that the accuracy required is a challenge that some people like, and also spamming TPS is easy and fun on clock if you’re good.
Ok. Maybe Ill try that out even if I don't like it at the begaining. How do you trim springs though? I have heard that makes my clock a lot better. Maybe I need to invest in this guys new service.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. Maybe Ill try that out even if I don't like it at the begaining. How do you trim springs though? I have heard that makes my clock a lot better. Maybe I need to invest in this guys new service.
You just take out all the springs, and trim the ends so the straight part that hangs out is gone so you have a completely circular end on each spring. I think part of why a lot of people don’t like clock is that they simply haven’t practiced to the point where they are somewhat fast, like maybe sub-10 where it’s a lot more fun to solve

This is a bit of a strange idea but have you tried doing some sort of clear coat over the magnets once the glue underneath dries. You could probably use some sort of clear acrylic coatings to help it say on if you’re interested in experimenting. Coating the entire clock face may even help prevent scratches!

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Also, I do want this to make me profit, so if you guys think I probably won’t make profit, than, tell me lol.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have tried 2 part epoxy and it does work pretty well, but because it takes waaaay longer than super glue to dry, the other magnets on the face will move one magnet if you don't hold it in place for 10 minutes (or more), this is very very annoying and you can spend like 40 minutes on one face, just for your hand to slip on the last magnet, and you getting epoxy all over the face.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
I have tried 2 part epoxy and it does work pretty well, but because it takes waaaay longer than super glue to dry, the other magnets on the face will move one magnet if you don't hold it in place for 10 minutes (or more), this is very very annoying and you can spend like 40 minutes on one face, just for your hand to slip on the last magnet, and you getting epoxy all over the face.
I have not had good results with two part epoxy.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

What I might end up doing with this, is experiminting with all of your ideas on a clock, sell a few, and see what people think of it. This would end up being not as complex as the cubicles clock, but would definitely have some features as good or maybe, even better. So, do you guys think I should experiment with this, combining all of your ideas? Or should I forget about it.

On the subject of the externally mounted magnets falling off, wouldn't two-part epoxy be a better choice than superglue? Superglue doesn't flex so every time the case flexed the glue would crack. Two-part epoxy would flex with the case and might provide a more permanent solution although the mating surfaces would need to be scuffed a lot.

I'm just spitballin'here, but would it be possible to drill into the top of the pins, flush mount magnets inside them and then replace the plastic washers inside the clock with steel ones to provide some magnetic attraction? This would mean that exterior magnets were not necessary... Again, I'm just spitballin'.
Or, you could place magnetic washers instead of steel for a stronger attraction.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Ok. So, I have come to my conclusion. I think, that I’m gonna make about 5 of these kinda experimintal ones, sell them to a Couple peopl, and I fond of you guys want one, I will prioritize your orders. Now, I don’t have a ton of money for starting off, so I may only do 3 or so as the first batch. I’m gonna list the things Ima do on the clocks:
-Trimming the springs
-Custom lubing it
-Drilling a hole in the pin and adding a steal washer: only 2 clocks
-Two part epoxy ring magnets.
also, it would be great if you guys could tell me possibly the sizes of magnets, what brands and things, and where to order my magnets.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So considering the amount of money I have, I’m gonna make 1 and either
-do a giveaway
-sell it like normal
if people like it, I will start making more and sell them.
also, wdym by flat @Dr. Lube

C

Cubinwitdapizza

It just means a ground flat spot at each end of the spring to take away any sharp edges. It may not be necessary to do this if the springs run on washers, but sharp metal on metal is also not an ideal situation.
Ok so just make sure that it gets cut at an angle that makes it not sharp.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Ok guys I have a question, would any of you buy one of these? I’m making 3 (one will be for myself) and the other 2 I want to sell. So since you all have clocks, you might not want to buy this so just wondering if I can get the money back.
I ordered the clocks and the disc magnets from the cubicle and I’m still trying to find ring magnets. So it should be ready in 1-2 weeks.