• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I am the corner twist kid. It's been almost 3 years and I wanted to say some things.

TwistKid

Those involved in the northeastern US cubing scene (and some who aren't) may remember something from 2016 or 2017. Someone corner twisted in a competition in NYC multiple times and got many DNFs. They recorded it and posted it to Youtube. The situation got decently big, leading to the video amassing over 10,000 views. People such as Chris Olson and JRCuber were made aware of the situation, Chris even mentioning me in a video about toxicity (I've been trying to find it, I think the title was something like "Vlog 1: Toxicity in the community"). That was me. I made those videos casually because I got a camera for Christmas and wanted to use it. I still remember the night where everything went down. I didn't take criticism well back then, A small channel pointed it out in the comments. I went crazy on him. He started to spread the video and I expected nothing to happen. The next day I logged onto Youtube and saw I had a bunch of notifications. I checked them and saw nothing but comments telling me to kill myself and how I should throw all of my cubes away and leave the community. All of this happening so suddenly hit me hard. I had planned to go to a competition that August, but had to cancel because it happened about 2 weeks after this whole ordeal and my family thought I'd be recognized. A WCA representative got in contact with us and talked about how there was a possibility that I'd be banned. Thankfully, though, we talked them out of it and I only got a minor penalty. With that being said, I just wanted to come back and say a few things. I recently found my cubes and started back up again. I only lost a few algorithms in my head. I'm about 2 seconds slower in my most recent AO5. I didn't know I was cheating back then. Due to being relatively new to the community, I thought corner twisting was intentional. I know, I was an idiot. Lastly, I think I'm going to come to another competition and see what happens. I don't care if nobody sees this, I just thought that after all these years I should finally get all of this off my chest. I hope you all have a good day. If someone can find that Chris Olson video, I would appreciate it. Goodbye.

IMG_4269.jpg

iLikeCheese

WCA
2016SANT08
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Chris deleted the video, but I could be wrong. I didn't know the severity of the situation back then, all I thought was that it was cringy, but with the number of people saying that corner twisting is not allowed and the judging things, I thought at your next competition you would do a lot better. I'm really sorry that the community was that toxic to you, I'm pretty sure things like that don't happen anymore. I'm glad that you have decided to start cubing again, a lot has changed and if you don't know where to start this website has a lot of great information for beginners and intermediate solvers.

Hazel

Premium Member
I wish you the best of luck :) I completely forgot about the incident until now. If people continue to bash you after this, I think that's on them.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very glad that you're back in the community. I'm pretty sure we all do embarrassing things when we're that young, it's unfortunate that you had a moment like that seen by so many people. Hope you'll have a better experience competing without the corner twisting this time. ;)

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haters gonna hate. Glad you were able to overcome the negativity of the internet and get back into the cubing community. Best of luck on your new cubing journey and good on you for posting this & reclaiming control of the situation.

WCA
2017OWEN01
Those involved in the northeastern US cubing scene (and some who aren't) may remember something from 2016 or 2017. Someone corner twisted in a competition in NYC multiple times and got many DNFs. They recorded it and posted it to Youtube. The situation got decently big, leading to the video amassing over 10,000 views. People such as Chris Olson and JRCuber were made aware of the situation, Chris even mentioning me in a video about toxicity (I've been trying to find it, I think the title was something like "Vlog 1: Toxicity in the community"). That was me. I made those videos casually because I got a camera for Christmas and wanted to use it. I still remember the night where everything went down. I didn't take criticism well back then, A small channel pointed it out in the comments. I went crazy on him. He started to spread the video and I expected nothing to happen. The next day I logged onto Youtube and saw I had a bunch of notifications. I checked them and saw nothing but comments telling me to kill myself and how I should throw all of my cubes away and leave the community. All of this happening so suddenly hit me hard. I had planned to go to a competition that August, but had to cancel because it happened about 2 weeks after this whole ordeal and my family thought I'd be recognized. A WCA representative got in contact with us and talked about how there was a possibility that I'd be banned. Thankfully, though, we talked them out of it and I only got a minor penalty. With that being said, I just wanted to come back and say a few things. I recently found my cubes and started back up again. I only lost a few algorithms in my head. I'm about 2 seconds slower in my most recent AO5. I didn't know I was cheating back then. Due to being relatively new to the community, I thought corner twisting was intentional. I know, I was an idiot. Lastly, I think I'm going to come to another competition and see what happens. I don't care if nobody sees this, I just thought that after all these years I should finally get all of this off my chest. I hope you all have a good day. If someone can find that Chris Olson video, I would appreciate it. Goodbye.

It’s great your back and I hope you continue to enjoy cubing. I am just interested about whether anyone at the comp said anything to you? because it seems to me that as you didn’t know the regs about it that the situation could have been avoided with better judges as they could have explained it to you and you seemed to know the algs so you could have competed normally from afterwards. Anyway good luck with cubing and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel

I remember seeing your video and wondering why you got so much hate over it. I mean everyone makes mistakes and you had already gotten DNFed so what's the point lol. Anyway cool to see you join the community again.