• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Human Kociemba method

Duffman

Hi,

I am quite new to this forum and do not post very often. I am looking for some piece of information about a "human kociemba" method. I found no track of such a topic on the forum, so I ask the question. Sorry if the question was already answered (resulting in some noise on the forum).
Kociemba is popular among computer based cube solver, but several video show "real people" using it. I am wondering if some place explaining how to use it exists. This method (which has quite interesting math fundations) looks quite exciting.

Any help is welcome.

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I posted about this a while back.

Human Kociemba has two steps. The first reduces to the second which uses <U,D,F2,B2,L2,R2>. The first phase is pretty hard but second is good.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Techically, Human Thistlethwaite can be viewed as Human Kociemba as well.

Kociemba solves the cube in two steps (like TheNextFeliks said), and Thistlethwaite solves exactly those steps - just with more substeps. And the "human" part is to break those steps into managable substeps, right?

Duffman

I posted about this a while back.

Human Kociemba has two steps. The first reduces to the second which uses <U,D,F2,B2,L2,R2>. The first phase is pretty hard but second is good.

Thanks for your answer. Can you point to the thread where you spoke about Kociemba ?

Duffman

Techically, Human Thistlethwaite can be viewed as Human Kociemba as well.

Kociemba solves the cube in two steps (like TheNextFeliks said), and Thistlethwaite solves exactly those steps - just with more substeps. And the "human" part is to break those steps into managable substeps, right?

Thanks too. Same question as above : do you have pointers to some place where this method is explained ?

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, the folly of choosing a bad name for your methods.

Human Kociemba was the term I originally chose for another method I came up with (which I now call 3x3x3 redux).

I named it simply because both methods had two phases and I liked the idea of a two phase 3x3x3 method.

It came to a point where we were calling the method described in this thread "Actual Human Kociemba"

Sorry for the confusion guys! Everyone should probably stop using the old name.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Human Kociemba was the term I originally chose for another method I came up with (which I now call 3x3x3 redux).

I named it simply because both methods had two phases and I liked the idea of a two phase 3x3x3 method.

It came to a point where we were calling the method described in this thread "Actual Human Kociemba"

Now I'm confused. So, which HK/HT method does the OP speaking about? The original one, like
http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Human_Thistlethwaite_Algorithm
or yours?

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Seems he talks about actual Human Kociemba, i.e. reducing to <U,D,F2,B2,L2,R2> (or <L,R,U2,D2,F2,B2> or <,F,B,L2,R2,U2,D2>), aka Domino reduction. Instead of what Kirjava choice to call "Human Kociemba", namely reducing to <U2,D2,L2,R2,F2,B2>.

Duffman

That looks really interesting. Can you provide the description of this method or give us pointer to information on it ? Thanks in advance :tu:)

Duffman

Seems he talks about actual Human Kociemba, i.e. reducing to <U,D,F2,B2,L2,R2> (or <L,R,U2,D2,F2,B2> or <,F,B,L2,R2,U2,D2>), aka Domino reduction. Instead of what Kirjava choice to call "Human Kociemba", namely reducing to <U2,D2,L2,R2,F2,B2>.

I do confirm : what I am originally searching for is domino reduction (so reducing to <U,D,F2,B2,L2,R2>). I wasn't aware a reduction to <U2,D2,L2,R2,F2,B2> existed (and the nice thing with this forum is that you can learn many things there), but it interests me too.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One way to Human Kociemba, a.k.a. reduction to Domino:

1a) orient edges + separate edges (put the four E layer edges to the E layer). This is intuitive, and works similar as EO-line in ZZ method.
1b) orient corners (two OLL with solved edges + orientation parity*)
2a) solve the cube as a domino (i.e., using <U,D,L2,R2,F2,B2>)
2b) permute E layer, which is the same as z + Step 4c of Roux method

*an easy algorithm for the orientation parity:
solve LFD + FRU: R U' L2 U R'