• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How the Rubik's cube gave me a job

granada

Hello there. I want to share a personal experience of how i got a job because of rubik's cube.

Well. I am 18 years old and a have been for about 6-8(i dont remember exactly) years long into computer programming. This year i entered the college and i am studying computer's science.

The same week the class started i meet a guy who as a speed(not much)-cuber, i was fascinated and on the same day o brought a rubik's cube and solved it with some YouTube's tutorial. At the end of the semester i needed to do an program for my language programming class. Then i made one cube solver, and, since i had a lot of time i expanded the program to do some parallel execution. But i didnt had lots of computer to execute the program, so i talked to some teachers and one of then was building on cluster on the department of computation. So i talked to him and he said that i must wait because the cluster wasnt finished. Well, i waited about 2 or 3 weeks and i grew impatient and started my own cluster project inside an open source group named Colmeia. One guy from the Colmeia worked on a cluster at the department of physics one year before and said that one lighting storm screwed up the cluster and it was nonfunctional since them. My 4 computers cluster was working and he said to me that one physic's teacher needed someone to rebuild the cluster. I found the professor, and he said that another student already had taken the opportunity. But... The student said that he would need about 3 months to make the cluster operational, i said that i would need only about one or two weeks. Then i took him to see my own "cluster" and he liked it, so the teacher took me instead the other student :). I made the cluster fully operational in 8 days and later i expanded the cluster to use Nvidia's CUDA. Now the cluster have 9.2 teraflops and i work 20 hours per week as a researcher and maintainer of the cluster, and i can use the cluster for my personal projects when no one is fully using the cluster.

:D

So, this is my history of how did rubik's cube gave me a job.

I also started alone one speed cubing group. On the next semester it will be official. About 6 peoples makes part of the group now, including some teachers.

My name is Renan, i am Brazilian, student at UDESC(university of the state of Santa Catarina). I solve the 3x3x3 using (almost full)fridrich's method. My personal records are 27.03 avg and 22.22 single. I also solve the 2x2x2 with a record of 3.54 and an avg of 11.72. Now i am going into blind both on 2x2x2 and 3x3x3.

Well, i hope you guys liked and thanks for your attention.

Ps: Self taught English. I bet that there is a lot of grammar problems. Sorry for that.

Last edited:

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Nah, your English is easily understood. I'll tell you a story.

A computer programmer I knew was raised in the US but after he got his degree he moved to Brazil where he worked as a computer programmer. After a while people got so used to him that they didn't know he was from the US. One day a group of people he was in got into a disagreement over what a bit of Microsoft documentation meant. Then one of the guys said, he you should trust (my friend) because he speaks English as his mother tongue." But in fact, documentation is often impossible to understand because it's badly written in English.

granada

Oh, thank you.

I always try to give my best.

Your comments are very motivational to me.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, now the real question is: how fast can you solve a Rubik's Cube on the cluster?
If you have 18^2 or 18^3 parallel searches, you can guarantee that one of them will find a solution in 18/17 moves, which really helps.

I've kind of wanted to try this, but I don't have access to enough machines.

granada

So, now the real question is: how fast can you solve a Rubik's Cube on the cluster?
If you have 18^2 or 18^3 parallel searches, you can guarantee that one of them will find a solution in 18/17 moves, which really helps.

I've kind of wanted to try this, but I don't have access to enough machines.

Usually on the second half of second semester of year, the cluster is working at almost full load. So i have not been doing much research about rubiks cube. But using all gpus and the cpus is possible to get about 17k threads running at the same time.

If u have/know some software that work with openMPI/cuda/opencl, you can tell me and i can run it on the cluster.