• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How Long Did It Take You To Average Sub 20?

How long did it take you to become sub 20?

• Total voters

Jimmy

Lol, you guys progress pretty fast. It took me like 2 years to average sub-16. =/ Well, maybe it's cause of my storebought cube is horrid. (I've always used store bought cubes, I've never once tried a DIY). Hopefully, my times will decrease with my DIY coming soon :]

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I've been cubing for about 2 years, and I still haven't hit sub20.

Although this is true, I'm sub30 with Fridrich, Petrus, ZZ, and now Roux, and sub40 with Salvia.
If I would have stuck to one method, I'm sure I could be sub20, even sub15 by now, but I change methods very frequently. Also, I quit for ~6 months once, so that really killed my times.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
a while...
i've been cubing for 3.5 years
but from that 3.5 years is about 2 years of speedcubing
and of those 2 years I took a 10 month break
out of the remaining 14 months I took another 6 months off
out of those 8 months, it took me a total of 2 1/2 months to get sub-20

or something like that. I'm not sure.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am no longer sub-20 on real cubes, but I would like to get back to that eventually. My best average was 17.5 from this spring. I achieved it last summer after almost exactly 1 year of cubing. I'm still now averaging around 17 on hi-games.net on a good day. Sub-16 averages are evading me on there...

tfkscores

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wo fast times. After almost 9 months my best average i think is 21. so close. i think i got 30 around 2 months ago. i didnt take it serious untill 2 months ago to though lol.

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
I made one sub-20 average, 19.95 seconds, 3 of 5, 5 of 5 would have been better though, i think. But that was a month ago, so it was about 7 months cubing, I started in January.

tfkscores

YouTube
Visit Channel
oh yea nvm i started in january to so its only been 7 for me... what do you usually average. weve been cubing the same amount of time.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Some of you guys are seriously quick learners :eek:

I'm personally only sub 30 (28.xx avg of 100, 24.xx avg of 5) after 8 months. So far I've had 3 sub 20 solves (one lucky), but I don't expect to be hitting sub 20 avg until well into next year!

Once I get there tho, all these swish <R,U,L> moves should make sub 15 a breeze :p

DAE_JA_VOO

Took me a while too, but that's because I study, so I don't have time to cube for hours and hours every day :(

Anyway, I started cubing seriously around April last year (2008), and I got my first sub-20 avg about a month ago. I'm still not consistently sub-20 though.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me 1 month to go from 30 avg to sub 20 with VH+COLL+Partial ZBLL.

However, I got sub 20 with basic fridrich in 8 months.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my nooby entry to speedcubing.com 'shortest time to achieve sub 20 seconds average':

noob said:
learnt saturday the 3rd May after getting type (a) from cube4you on the friday. sub 60 in two weeks sub 40 in another few sub 30 a while after that then finally a sub 20 (19.67) mid July (17th). avgs not improved much since then (17-20). all thanks to jude and badmephisto!

The time I've submitted is 87 days. Though it sounds fast, it isn't considering that I had 3 friends that were faster than me I'd see every day to learn from and race, and badmephisto had just made loads of vids etc etc. Feliks, and Durben particularly are incredible though, especially considering that unlike me they got to sub 20 and just kept going...
I got that average and then couldn't beat it for a long time.