• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How hard is it?

JustinMSmith

How hard is it to solve 6x6, 7x7 and even bigger (virtual) cubes? Do they each require new algorithms everytime or is there a 'one size fits all' kind of method?

I can solve cubes from 2x2 up to 5x5 now and I was wondering if there is anything more to learn should I decide to buy the V-Cube 6 & 7.

Thanks!

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
well you would need one more, at least I did. I use my own algorithm for the centers for the 5x5, and I use my own for the 7x7. It is probably the same algorithm used by most people, I figured out 2 ways to do it, second time is much faster.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can solve 5x5 and 7x7 centers intuitively but it takes some work (obviously finding algorithms would make it quicker). I've got 2x2x2-7x7x7 and the only thing I needed was 6x6x6 centers help (I got tired of trying to do it intuitively), there's a nice alg on youtube for it.

If you know 4x4x4 parity algs (both OLL and PLL algs, or one of the double parity algs that is OLL and PLL parity in one alg), then you have everything you need to know. I'm not completely sure but I'm pretty sure it's possible to avoid 5x5x5 parity if you're careful about it. If you don't care, you can use the 4x4x4 OLL parity alg and that will fix them (you can use inner slice turns or wide turns but be sure to leave the middle slice alone). You don't experience PLL parity on odd numbered cubes.

For 6x6x6, you use 4x4x4 parity algs for it.

For 7x7x7, same as 5x5x5 except more to do.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
If you can solve a 5x5 you can solve any big cube with the same method. Nothing new have to be learned

This is "mostly" true... the trick is that you may have to use them slightly differently or think about them in a different way. For example: I had to sit down for awhile and analyze the alg I use to solve the last two edge groups to see what it really does. I had been blindly applying it, but had to see exactly which pieces it affected in what ways to be able to use it for larger cubes.

bluedasher

Yeah, I can do the 4 centers of the 7x7 without help, but the last 2 are hardest. I needed to look at videos to do those, but overall it is the same principal as with the 5x5 and 4x4.