• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] How do I improve my case recognition?

Recognition Skill Discussion

So I have a lot of problem regarding on my recognition and execution.I've been speedcubing for 2 months now and I was able to reach sub 25 with a pb of sub 15.The only problem is my recognition.I've been practicing a lot but I just get confused because there are just so many alg in my head(Not that many actually).Sometimes it takes me 3 sec to recognize a COLL alg.Any tips on how to improve it???

hkpnkp

COLL recognition is a little hard and it takes some practice to get used to it. Also using bright stickers help in faster recognition for some people.

kschiew

Keep on practising full solves is the fastest way to improve your recognition, because doing timed solves will get you into a highly concentrated state. Btw i started learning coll when i was around sub 18 and found out that it doesnt really help my solves haha. Probably my own recognition is not too good either lol.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
IMO there is really no need to learn alg subsets (other than OLL and PLL) before you are sub 15. That being said, it doesn't hurt to learn earlier. And the recognition will come eventually, so just practise and practise and practise and practise...

Practicing helps a lot actually but I need something a tip that will let my recognition improve faster.Any othe tips??

dskids

WCA
2017SKID01
Tips for improving recognition speed: First F2L pair & EPLL

Hi guys, I just started speed solving with CFOP, intuitive F2L, and 4LLL. Pleased to say with the advice of this forum my times have dramatically improved in just a couple weeks of solving.

I noticed that on a percentage of solves I don't get any matching F2L pieces in the top layer, and on these solves I always lose a lot of time trying to find the best first pair (or two). Usually after one or two pairs are placed the rest sort of present themselves. Any tips for improving recognition speed in this case?

I also lose a few seconds on PLL recognition. My CPLL is not so bad, but it is the EPLL that gets me. I usually have to rotate the cube at least y2 to figure out whether I need a Ua, Ub, H, or Z. Then I have to decide whether to rotate the cube again or turn the U layer to set up my alg. I'm thinking look ahead during the CPLL step would be very helpful here, but wondering if there are any other beginner tips for improving this recognition?

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

turtwig

For EPLL recognition, you could learn 2-sided PLL recognition for EPLL cases. Also, if you have to do a y2, it's better just to do a U2.
When I learn new algs, I usually try to find the minimal amount of pieces that I need to see in order to determine the case. For EPLL, it's 2 edge pieces. Then I would remember which patterns relate to which cases. For example, if two edges are opposite to the corners beside it, it must be an H perm.

Doing slow solves and just practicing a lot helps too. After doing some solves with the new algs, you'll recognize faster and faster and the more algs that you know, the faster the process is.

PS: Your title makes it seem like your giving advice instead of asking for advice.

CubeDatCube

WCA
2016MARS01
How to tell Ra Perm and T Perm Apart?

Hi guys.

Just any ideas of recognising the Ra perm or T perm faster as they both look the same.

Current Ra Perm Alg: (R U' R' U') (R U R) D (R' U' R) D' (R' U2 R') U

Current T Perm Alg: R U R' U' F R U' R2 F' R (what else?)

Thanks.

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys.

Just any ideas of recognising the Ra perm or T perm faster as they both look the same.

Current Ra Perm Alg: (R U' R' U') (R U R) D (R' U' R) D' (R' U2 R') U

Current T Perm Alg: R U R' U' F R U' R2 F' R (what else?)

Thanks.

In the T-Perm the sticker between the headlights and the sticker on the right side(or left side depending on where you hold it) of the 2x1 block is the same whereas on the R-Perm it's not.

CuberMatsValk

Can someone help me with the oll.....i know about 23 olls now....and the rest i am trying to learn....but its too hard to recognize:(

Go slowly don't force yourself to learn them everyday once your comfortable recognising the cases you know then learn more

DELToS

I'm a sub-18 second solver, and I know full OLL, but I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing between the four knight cases. If I have time I can figure it out, but obviously I don't want to always have to take 2-4 seconds just on OLL recognition. Any help is appreciated!

Quick note, I can recognize one of them fairly quickly (do F R U' R' U R U2 R' U' F' to set up)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Quick note, I can recognize one of them fairly quickly (do F R U' R' U R U2 R' U' F' to set up)

Kinda depends on the algs you use for them, so I'll assume you use r U r' (R U R' U') r U' r' and the lefty version of that for those two cases. You can distinguish each of them from their counterpart cases by seeing if the 2-sticker bar on the front can be broken up by the first move of the algorithm (either r or l', depending on which way the knight move is pointing), and if it can, that's the algorithm to use. If they stay together, on the other hand, it's not one of those cases.

At some point, it'll basically become instinct, but that's a way to start distinguishing. :)

Seth Ferry

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you hold the cube so that the oriented corner is in either the bottom left or bottom right, You can tell exactly what case you have. If you have r U r' sexy r U' r', the two disoriented top layer pieces on F will not be touching and same goes for l' U' l left sexy l' U l.
If you have one of the other two cases (I use r U' r' U' r U r' F' U F & R' F R U R' F' R F U' F') The two disoriented top layer pieces on F will touch.

Hope it helped

P.S. DGCubes' recognition is where the oriented corner is either in top left or top right and that is the way to recognize it from the front

Last edited: