• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Home-made stackmat timer

Musje

i cant wait until i can mod my bluetooth mouse into a controller and use it like a stackmat.

On another note: isnt there a cheap alternative to stackmat timers that work with cct?
This is pretty cheap...

Mouses aren't very expensive these days (especially wired ones... but you can get wireless laptop mouses for like €5 around here I believe)
And you don't really need much else (maybe a few wires, I used the buttons that were originally in the mouse and put them in some CD cases as touchpads)

Though my mouse suddenly stopped working, can't figure out why

TomZ

I just realized this: you don't need to use both the left and right buttons. You could simply use just one, and wire the two pads in series.

anyway, here is a program that should address the double starting/stopping issue. It still uses both buttons, but if you need anything different just let me know.

If it does not respond, are you sure the timer has focus?

Musje

Hmm, that would work indeed.

"fixed" my DIY pads with an old wired USB mouse I had lying around...

It does take a bit getting used to using those things in stead of my spacebar though :) (I used to place my left hand randomly on my desk :p)

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
could anyone make a tutorial on how to make stackmat what shows time. From old stopwatch and some wires. I tried but failed miserably and need some help :S Plz could anyone make a good tutorial vid?

I found only those plug-into-computer stackmats here but I need one that is independent.

Musje

could anyone make a tutorial on how to make stackmat what shows time. From old stopwatch and some wires. I tried but failed miserably and need some help :S Plz could anyone make a good tutorial vid?

I found only those plug-into-computer stackmats here but I need one that is independent.
I don't have an old stopwatch or video camera at the moment but I'll try to explain.

First, you will need some buttons.
Desolder the "start/stop" button.
Then, solder a wire to each side. 1 wire to 1 button, the other wire to another button.
Then you solder a wire between those 2 buttons.

Now when you press both buttons, it should start (depending on your stopwatch it might start on pressing or releasing the buttons, releasing would be better.)

For the reset, you can also extend the button with some wires to make it easier to press or place somewhere else.

If you don't have wires or buttons, there is a chance you don't need to buy any.
For example, I had a gamepad that is like 10 years old and didn't work anymore. So I opened it and took some buttons out of that and took some wires out of the cable (COM port so it has loads).

Musje

Well, stand alone would be a stopwatch I'd say.

Maybe try an old watch with stopwatch function.

Everything that had a stopwatch in it can be used for standalone.
Or you could make a stopwatch yourself if you have the parts and knowledge but that would be pretty difficult I think.