• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

hey cubers..

mrkcee

Hi guys. :)

I started cubing some weeks ago. Well, I am able to solve it using a beginner's method. I am able to solve it around 2-3min. Now, my goal is to solve it under a min. Then, eventually, under 20 secs though I am pretty much be contented by just solving it around 30-40secs. :D

My current method: (layer by layer?)

After reading websites about speedcubing, I found methods such as Fridrich, Petrus, Roux, etc. In your opinion, which do you think is the easiest to learn and why?

InfiniteZero

In my opinion, theres no really "easy" to learn speed cube method. Try to get your beginner's method to around 1 minute or less. I think that if you want to go into fridrich, you should learn an intuitive fridrich f2l and a 4 look last layer. after that learn some other junk. Chart:

Begginners>>
Intuitive F2L / 4 look last layer>>
3 look last layer>>
real F2l algorothims and 2 Look last layer>>
ZB method and beyond

If you don't want to learn intuitive F2L you could also try the keyhole/working corners method. A person in this forum can get a sub20 average using a wokring corners method and a 3 look last layer.

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, here is how I learned/am learning:

-Beginner method(7steps 141 moves)
-Solved cross on the bottom
-Used a working corner/keyhole F2L
-Learned to orient corners with an algorithm(before I was orienting AND permuting them with two algs using the algs repeatedly to get them permuted and orient right after permuting the edges) from solvethecube.co.uk
-Learned the 4 edge triangle and corner triangle algs
-Learned all 21 permutationg algs starting with the easy to remember shapes like H, T, etc.
-Learning some orientation algs for orienting the corners with one alg and also learned the H orientation
-Learning to place F2L c/e pairs intuitively
-Learning 24 ZBF2L algs

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I learned Fridrich after I learned beginners, and I thought Fridrich was easy. However, I have seen people learn Roux easily too. I'd recommend that you read over all the methods and decide. If you are dedicated to it, it isn't hard to understand and learn. If you decide to start on a method and get stuck, feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

Good luck and have fun ;)
Patrick

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me Fridrich is easy because it is straightforward. There is a problem and you need to apply the solution. With Rouz and Petrus you re doing things without much rules, you are trying to solve the cube mainly intuitively rather than 'rule-based'.

mrkcee

Thanks for the reply guys :) I tried Roux, it didn't appeal to me. :p So, I tried Fridrich. I was getting a hang of it and was able to understand the process. But I tried solving the cube and my time was really slow.

Also, what's 2/3/4 Look LL?

annon

4-look-LL: Orient edges, orient corners, permute corners, permute edges. Smallest number of algorithms. Possible with 8.

3-look-LL: Orient edges, orient corners, permute corners/edges. Mid-range number of algorithms. Possible with 23, recommended with 31.

2-look-LL: Orient edges/corners, permute corners/edges. Largest number of algorithms. Full 2-look-LL takes 78.

Cubinator

I didn't bother with the algs for F2L(I only learned 3, and those only for a few special cases). If you learn F2L, try just figuring it out. It'll take some time, but I found that it was very easy to just create my own algorithm (don't think of it that way, though) on the fly as time went on. Intuitive is the way to go. ;) As for your time- don't worry about it much for now. The same thing happened to me. Just keep practicing and your times will go down.

Also, a 4-look LL is technically possible with 4 algs - 1 for each step (F R U R' U' F' or something similar for EO, L U' R' U L' U' R or something similar for CP, Sune for CO, and a three-cycle for EP)

Arakron

Originally posted by Cubinator@Mar 27 2007, 02:22 AM
Also, a 4-look LL is technically possible with 4 algs - 1 for each step (F R U R' U' F' or something similar for EO, L U' R' U L' U' R or something similar for CP, Sune for CO, and a three-cycle for EP)
Then you have to get the right cases each time. It doesn't really count as 4-look unless you know what the algs do so that you can just execute them multiple times with proper setup in between..and in that case, you might as well learn the very small number of additional algs.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4-look-LL: Orient edges, orient corners, permute corners, permute edges. Smallest number of algorithms. Possible with 8.

3-look-LL: Orient edges, orient corners, permute corners/edges. Mid-range number of algorithms. Possible with 23, recommended with 31.

2-look-LL: Orient edges/corners, permute corners/edges. Largest number of algorithms. Full 2-look-LL takes 78.
Please tell me the 8 algs I would need for a 4 look (without repeating any alg). I think you need more: 3+7+2+4=16 actually.

Please tell me the 23 algs for the 3 look also (again, without repeating any alg). I think you need more: 3+7+21=31.

Arakron

Originally posted by AvGalen@Mar 27 2007, 07:01 AM

Please tell me the 8 algs I would need for a 4 look (without repeating any alg). I think you need more: 3+7+2+4=16 actually.

Please tell me the 23 algs for the 3 look also (again, without repeating any alg). I think you need more: 3+7+21=31.
I think you're right on the 4-look and 3-look, and he's talking about what might be called 4-step or 3-step..the 4-step would be like a beginner LL, where the process is separated into 4 parts but you might not be able to solve it with just one alg execution.

annon

Originally posted by AvGalen@Mar 27 2007, 07:01 AM

I'm not counting repetition. I mean the bare minimum number of algorithms.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The bare minimum number of algorithms for a layer-by-layer method I guess would be 5
0) Intuitive first layer
1) 1 alg for the 2nd layer (though 2 mirrored algs would be preferable), like R U R' U' F' U' F (U) (4* 0/1/2/3 times)
2) 1 alg for edge OLL, like F R U R' U' F' (0/1/2/3 times)
3) 1 alg for corner OLL, like R U R' U R U2 R' (0/1/2/3 times)
4) 1 alg for corner PLL, like R' F R' B2 R F' R' B2 R2 (0/1/2 times)
5) 1 alg for edge PLL, like F2 U L R' F2 R L' U F2 (0/1/2/3 times)

Off course I understand that the bare minimum would actually be 0 algs (intuitively) or 1 alg (setup moves + something like t-perm), but the above should easily get you below 1 minute.

Annon, I repeat my questions (just point me to a site if you prefer):
Please tell me the 8 algs I would need for a 4 look (without repeating any alg).
Please tell me the 23 algs for the 3 look also (again, without repeating any alg).

annon

Originally posted by AvGalen@Mar 28 2007, 11:24 AM
Annon, I repeat my questions (just point me to a site if you prefer):
Please tell me the 8 algs I would need for a 4 look (without repeating any alg).
Please tell me the 23 algs for the 3 look also (again, without repeating any alg).
I didn't think repetition would be an issue. I meant the minimum to get it done, so it's not a full 3 or 4 look LL.

In other words, disregard the alg count I first posted.